Semroc SLS Laser X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Picked out of the "Started not Done" pile.
Started awhile back..long while back.
Anywhoo...I'm on it now.
More pics has I go.
MMT..yet to be decided. Comes with 29mm. I like clusters me-self. Semroc has a couple different ones for this bird.

Laser x 2.jpg

Last edited:
Anywhoo...I'm on it now.
More pics has I go.
MMT..yet to be decided. Comes with 29mm. I like clusters me-self. Semroc has a couple different ones for this bird.

Glad to see your at least back to building! Hope your recovery is progressing well.

The Laser-X has always been one of my very favorite "Golden Age" kit designs. I've liked it so much I have I believe 4 different size versions. Including an original Centuri Standard size (18mm motor mount) from back in the day, a micro version, a 1:141 Upscale and a 3X 3-D12 Clustered and Staged Upscale.

I hope you have as much fun building and real Soon flying this fantastic model as I have over the years.
Good Luck on your build. will be watching the progress:)

Laser-X-1-sm_1st Fleet Centuri's best b&w_04-03-71.jpg

Laser-X-b1-sm_Perfilght on Pad-39 b&w_12-04-71.jpg

037Lp01c-sm_Laser-X 141 2pic Flt_03-24-90.jpg

MM 229lp01b-sm_Laser-X_MidFlight_07-07-01.jpg

Glad to see your at least back to building! Hope your recovery is progressing well.

The Laser-X has always been one of my very favorite "Golden Age" kit designs.
Good Luck on your build. will be watching the progress:)
Thank You.
I'm feeling and doing much better. I'm back to work and thats going good. Still not 100% but I'm gaining everyday.
YUP, the Laser-X is a good looking bird. Glad I got one before they(Semroc) went out. I want to get the small one also.
As I said in OP,its a rugged kit.

Thanks for the pics. You got a nice collection there.

Anywhoo...I'm on it now.
More pics has I go.
The motor mounts are interchangeable so you don't have to decide which one to use until launch time.

I have tried all of the interchangeable motor mounts and my favorite is 4 X C6-5.

The motor mounts are interchangeable so you don't have to decide which one to use until launch time.

I have tried all of the interchangeable motor mounts and my favorite is 4 X C6-5.
Might have to make me-own(MMTs). Cant seem to find any others.

This is such a nice kit, I've built 2! Lately, I've been using the 29mm mount that comes with the kit for Estes 29mm E and F BP motors. This mount looks the best also, with the full complement of "radiator" fins. F15-4 and F15-6 both work pretty well, -4 for windy days, -6 for calm days. I've only flown on 29mm composite once, it gets way up there! Reducing to 24mm opens up lots of choices too, an AT E18 or F24 is really nice. I used to fly it mostly on 4xC6 until the big Estes BP motors came out, that's how I lost my first one.

There are 2 weak points to this kit - the first is the balsa transition - I'd highly recommend drilling it out and putting a hardwood dowel all the way through, think I used a 3/8". Second weak point is the big fins on landing - since internal fillets can't be used with interchangeable motor mounts, I recommend hefty epoxy fillets on the outside. Looking forward to your build!

Oh, and I have alternate artwork to match the 1971 catalog if you're interested - requires white decal paper (or careful masking) to get white lettering.

This is such a nice kit, I've built 2! Lately, I've been using the 29mm mount that comes with the kit for Estes 29mm E and F BP motors. This mount looks the best also, with the full complement of "radiator" fins. F15-4 and F15-6 both work pretty well, -4 for windy days, -6 for calm days. I've only flown on 29mm composite once, it gets way up there! Reducing to 24mm opens up lots of choices too, an AT E18 or F24 is really nice. I used to fly it mostly on 4xC6 until the big Estes BP motors came out, that's how I lost my first one.

There are 2 weak points to this kit - the first is the balsa transition - I'd highly recommend drilling it out and putting a hardwood dowel all the way through, think I used a 3/8". Second weak point is the big fins on landing - since internal fillets can't be used with interchangeable motor mounts, I recommend hefty epoxy fillets on the outside. Looking forward to your build!

Oh, and I have alternate artwork to match the 1971 catalog if you're interested - requires white decal paper (or careful masking) to get white lettering.
Thanks for the tips. I've been busy truck shopping and getting caught up on things now that I'm feeling better,so long of short.. No rocket building last few days!!!!

Did you have to add extra weight(s) / washers on the top NC shoulder?
I see in the instruction it says not to glue the NC incase you use heavy motor(s) and need extra weight.

Anywhoo- I got back to work on it tonight.
I got the fin pieces glued together and filled. And I filled the NC,BTs and trans.
May just get to some assemble tomorrow.

Last edited:
Did you have to ad extra weight(s) / washers on the top NC shoulder?
I see in the instruction it says not to glue the NC in case you use heavy motor(s) and need extra weight.
I did not add any extra weight and it flew just fine. The 29mm motor I used was the E23-5T so not a particularly heavy motor.

heres a few pictires.
We love pictures.
What I did this time around was to cover me cutting board with cling wrap/celephane wrap when I CAed the fins together. I used me metal rule as a straight edge.
I've used wax paper also, but I like that I can see the lines on me board because the part of the fin against the straight edge was the TTW part.
I had sanded the edges after removing them from the sheet and I wanted to be sure the edges that went against the BT were also running straight.
Get me drift here?
The pic of the filled BT is to show that I masked the inside to keep the filler from going thru the slots and goobering up the inside of the BT.
The fins are all glued ,filled and sanded. Now to sand the BT and I can glue on the fins.

Laser -x 001.jpg

Laser -x 002.jpg

Laser -x 003.jpg

Last edited:
Had a few opps.
First,I filled the main BT lastnight and I LEFT the masking tape on the inside.BIG OPPS!
When I took it off,it stuck to the paper tube and didnt come off to clean and pulled some paper off. It was a total FAIL.
Im spending more time fixing the inside than if I had a few goobers of FnF to remove.
And I broke a corner off one fin. You can see it in the pic on left in pic #5
Live and learn.
Test fit the fins,they are good to go. Sanding and test fitting all the MMT parts.
Looks like the MMT parts need to be pigmented before assemble.
The cooling fins are red. The MMT tube is white and the CR is black. Holly Molly!!!!
Anywhoo-even with the opps, I'm loving this build.

product pitch=Im using /trying Loc-Tite super glue. I love the bottle and the "side grip pump" . No glue comes out till you sqeeze the sides. And you can dispense anything from a drop to running it along an edge. Havent had to pin the hole or cut back the nozzle from hardening after many uses.

Laser -x 004.jpg

Laser -x 005.jpg

Laser -x 006.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the fins glued on.
Primed the cooling fins.
The fins were still a little grainy for me liking,so I put some more filler on them lastnight.
So, I got to do some more sanding first thing this morning..made my day. :eyeroll:

LX and SW 005.jpg

LX and SW 004.jpg

LX and SW 006.jpg

LX and SW 008.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Scott. The Laser X is a Centuri classic. I think Semroc (Carl) did a good thing when they upscaled it. Looking forward to seeing your finished rocket and perhaps a flight report.

Looking good Scott. The Laser X is a Centuri classic. I think Semroc (Carl) did a good thing when they upscaled it. Looking forward to seeing your finished rocket and perhaps a flight report.
Thank You. This is one bird I'ld like to look really good. Me issue is not rushing the finish

Hey Scott, are you going to add fin spikes? I realize they don't come with the SLS kit, but they do on the standard-size model.
https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen22.html.
I found that 1/8" dowels look just about right. They occasionally break off, or catch the shock cord, but hey, they look cool! :)
Spikes :y: I like that idea.Didnt give it a thought. Boy, there is a lot of color options. Most likely go with red and white cuz of the decals. Maybe try and get some black in there somewhere.
I should be getting the small Laser-X in the mail. I ordered one from Hanger-11. Their site showed they had 1 in stock.
Yet to be seen.
If it does show,I'm thinking of going with the black and white on it. Micros looks cool.

Last edited:
Getting pigment on the MMT parts.
Masking the fins and BT to start the epxoy fillets.
Me "Great Planes" 2 part 6 minute epoxy has gone bad.
I picked up some stuff from hardware store.
Used the Inferno RED met on the cooling fins.
Some black and white on tube and cr.
Dupli color pigments .

LX and SW 013.jpg

LX and SW 014.jpg

LX and SW 010.jpg

Last edited:
Fillets. Not much else to do on it. Lugs and throw in the baffle thingy w/cord attached.
Been nice and warm,but very humid. Down by the river I am. Fog didnt lift till almost noon over the weekend.
Not the best for spraying pigment.

Laser 001.jpg

Laser 002.jpg

Last edited:
Back