Need to learn some Korean

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1336

Reaction score
Have a new job that some of my clients are Korean. They don't seem to understand me when I tell them what to do. So, where can I get some simple phrases so I can give directions?

Such as, Wait a minute / I will let you know / You are next / Thank you / Hello. It's a golf course job but we have a large mix of people. l can talk to anyone but I have the hardest time comuticating with the Korean's. I figured if I could speak a word or two it would help. Not stereotyping just would like to be able to make their expereance better.

Have a new job that some of my clients are Korean. They don't seem to understand me when I tell them what to do. So, where can I get some simple phrases so I can give directions?

Such as, Wait a minute / I will let you know / You are next / Thank you / Hello. It's a golf course job but we have a large mix of people. l can talk to anyone but I have the hardest time comuticating with the Korean's. I figured if I could speak a word or two it would help. Not stereotyping just would like to be able to make their expereance better.

Do you have a smart phone? Then down load an I translate app.

Wait a minute/jamkkanman gidaliseyo
I will let you know/dangsin-e ge allyeo geos ida
You are next/da-eum-eun
Thank you/gamsahabnida
Hello/annyeonghaseyo
These were translated by the itranslate app on my smart phone, hope this helps:madnote:

Try Korean class 101. It's a free podcast that is pretty good. Or if all you really want are a couple dozen phrases, find one of the Koreans who speaks English pretty well and learn those phrases from him or her. I tried to figure out the pronunciation from the post above taken from a translator and gotta say that if I didn't already know Korean, I could never get the pronunciation even close using that. The romanization doesn't work well.

https://www.koreanclass101.com

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

At the beginning stages podcasts are great. You need to learn the sounds first though, and thats the only thing I really liked with Rosetta/Pimsleur/Instant Immersion, etc. at the initial levels. Also look on youtube! The resources are PLENTY out there and free. At the beginner level you can find decent ones for what your trying to learn. I've been studying chinese for over 9 years and have been through a LOT of methods...... if you want to send me a PM (or email , I check more often) I would be more than happy to share a lot of what has (and hasn't) worked for me.

I think a better investment of money, if you want to pay anything at this stage..... would be italki, you can find professional teachers on that site. I do not see software or anything teaching you how to communicate, other than....well....trying to communicate! Every little bit of immersion helps but from what it sounds like you want to get out of it, go to youtube, or look at this one - https://www.koreanclass101.com/ I studied at their sister site - chinesepod.com and that was one of the most effective methods in my first 3 years. The lessons are short, modern everyday colloquial language, real topics, and you used to be able to sign up free for 7 days. Use the 7 days to your advantage and download all the mp3 lessons you can.

I hope you enjoy it and want to pursue it farther like I did. I figured ...what the heck, I will study chinese for a few months and learn some phrases while I am in China" and here I am 9 years later haha.....

Good luck and enjoy it. Also, a big piece of advice - get over the natural intimidation to try another language. Sounds like it may not be an issue for you though. Dont be worried about mistakes, etc....just USE IT! Have fun!!!

Its a personal thing and you have to find what works for you.

I travel a lot on business. From being on the receiving end, you are spot on - any little effort at communicating in the client's native tongue really makes them feel appreciated, I always am bowled over when someone in another country says "thank you" in English, even when it's obvious it's not their native language.

Good one on you!

OTOH, one of the jumpers we compete against on the British team has memorized what he says is the most important phrase he knows, especially in bars. He speaks it in 40 languages, Japanese, Farsi, Swahili, etc.
-
-
-
-
"My friend will pay"

:)

All the best, James

Yeah, like James said.....I also travel a lot on business and especially with the Asian cultures I find they are always shocked that a westerner took the effort to try to learn their language. And you will see the relationship instantly changes. I have become such close personal friends with so many in china, and they have offered me to stay at their house and have been a great extended family during my time over there. Learning a language, for me, has been truly life changing.

Somewhat related... Spent some time volunteering at our local English language center and a couple of guys there were Korean. Their company had actually paid for them to come here and learn more english! They were pretty cool guys! For that matter, I wish I had more time to spend volunteering there as everyone that goes there to learn more is pretty cool.
-Ken

Back