Aspect Ratio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
A few years ago a friend of mine mentioned that he had an old windsurfer mast and didn't know what to do with it.... Or how do you make a 100 to 1 aspect ratio rocket with stuff from a garage.

I call it aspect ratio, it is 230" long minimum diameter 54mm, an aspect ratio of over 100 to 1. The 'booster' is 4' long straight 54mm fiberglass, the 'nose cone' is almost 16 foot long fiberglass tapering from 2' down to 1' inch over 16 feet with a small nosecone at the top to take it from the 1" to a point. The is an avionics bay with an Adept22 in it.

There is a small parachute on the booster side of things and a larger one in the nosecone.

The booster is designed for a 54mm Skyripper K hybrid. I plan to launch it at the ROC September launch.

aspect_ratio.jpg

You are officially crazy...

I can already imagine the comments if you brought that to an East coast launch... :p

"Hey Kramer, mind if I use your rocket to get my rocket out of the tree?"

Set it up on a stand and use it as a barrier...
Be REALLY daring and use it as a big freaking launch rod...

That is awesome. How much does it weigh?

It is pretty rigid, if you hold it horizontal it bows an inch or so. The better question is the natural frequency and what are the chance that a skyripper will excite one of them....

Mike K

BTW, 'the boy' and I have discussed staging an Estes Mosquito as the nose cone, never going to find it but could be fun to try.

It flew, quite well in fact.

Had a Skyripper problem (missing a part) so I used an Aerotech K500 something.

aspectratio.jpg

Best guess, 4,000 feet only a slight wobble (wiggle?) on the way up.

Attachments

• aspect_ratio.jpg
    aspect_ratio.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Back