Seeking sources to sell carbon tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need other sources to sell some carbon tubes I have available. I need to get rid of them so I can purchase more carbon.

Your help is most appreciate.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

So whaddaya have? Other outlets? Hmmm- sewer repairs? Plumbing re-inforcement? Maybe attached to leather gloves for welders? Shin guards for soccer players? NewAge Ikea indoor planters? I've always wanted to see a carbon fiber shield at one of the Renaissance Faires-LOL! I knew of a chap that made a carbon fiber salad bowl out of scraps he had- it was awesome!

I recommend that you offer these tubes to people who are will to objectively review them. You may have better luck if you offer the tubes in the Yard Sale section and can link a testimonial to your product's quality.

At the moment, your two foot long, 4" diameter carbon tube is priced almost identically to a two foot length of Hawk Mountain tubing. I suggest that you sell that tube to someone who you fly with and is active here on the forum and ask them to post a thread with a lot of pictures. If you plan to turn this into a "business" of sorts, you need Beta testers before people buy your tubes outright.

Alex, you're not going to like this reply, but it's reality.

You want to sell your carbon tubes, and you want to sell them for top dollar.

Yet, at the same time, you're asking some relatively basic questions about doing composite layups. Questions that someone who wants to sell expensive tubes should already know, and know well.

You need to accept that you basically need to give the tubes away; if you're lucky, you might get the cost of the carbon fiber you have in them.

Until you can demonstrate that your tubes are worth a lot, people aren't going to want to pay it, especially when known quality commercial tubes are available for the same, or not much more, from established sources.

-Kevin

Ever think of building rockets out of them?

Well I wanted to keep them for myself, but my mother suggested I get rid of them and purchase more rather than waste my paycheck. With only $180 a week I can only do so much with bills and other requirements getting in the way.

Alexander Solis

I recommend that you offer these tubes to people who are will to objectively review them. You may have better luck if you offer the tubes in the Yard Sale section and can link a testimonial to your product's quality.

At the moment, your two foot long, 4" diameter carbon tube is priced almost identically to a two foot length of Hawk Mountain tubing. I suggest that you sell that tube to someone who you fly with and is active here on the forum and ask them to post a thread with a lot of pictures. If you plan to turn this into a "business" of sorts, you need Beta testers before people buy your tubes outright.

I have not gone to a HPR Launch in a year. I have yet to know anyone that flies near my area and hangs here on the forums. I am not trying to start a business. I am merely trying to get more to have since my check is just small for the time being.

By the same price as a hack mounting tubing are you refering it to the fiberglass tube or the carbon tube? I am sure the carbon tube is worth more at around $100.

Alexander Solis

Through out life one finds that :

Any object....house...car...gun....rocket....diamond...gold...... is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

You can put any price on an object that you think it's worth, but what some one pays determines it's true value.

From a guy that's sold 9 houses, 6 trucks...a dozen rockets....and too many other numerous items to mention. Reality is a cruel teacher of "value" lessons.

Supply & demand are the other 2.

By the same price as a hack mounting tubing are you refering it to the fiberglass tube or the carbon tube? I am sure the carbon tube is worth more at around $100.

We've been down this road before. The commercially available tubing (Hawk, Performance) is machine made by a vendor that has proven the quality of their product over 10+ years. The tubes are dimensionally consistent from tube to tube and are carried by reputable vendors and are widely available.

My point is this: I have no reason to believe that your tube is in any way superior or inferior to a Hawk fiberglass tube. Buying a Hawk tube is a low risk to me for $47. Buying your tube is a high risk to me for $50. If I take the risk and it proves to be a bad risk, will you stand by your product? I know that Hawk does.

I have no experience with your product. They could be amazing tubes. That being said, I am sticking with commercially available tubing until it's proven to me that there is an alternate that is either cheaper with similar quality, or better quality with similar pricing.

We've been down this road before. The commercially available tubing (Hawk, Performance) is machine made by a vendor that has proven the quality of their product over 10+ years. The tubes are dimensionally consistent from tube to tube and are carried by reputable vendors and are widely available.

My point is this: I have no reason to believe that your tube is in any way superior or inferior to a Hawk fiberglass tube. Buying a Hawk tube is a low risk to me for $47. Buying your tube is a high risk to me for $50. If I take the risk and it proves to be a bad risk, will you stand by your product? I know that Hawk does.

I have no experience with your product. They could be amazing tubes. That being said, I am sticking with commercially available tubing until it's proven to me that there is an alternate that is either cheaper with similar quality, or better quality with similar pricing.

Your point is well made, but your are still comparing the value of that of fiberglass vs carbon fiber. The strength of carbon would be no doubt greater and will rival or even be superior than that of the fiberglass tube. Now if my tube was fiberglass and I was placing it for the same price at $47, then there is risk involved, because it could be inferior in many ways.

Similar quality I can relate to, but superior is not possible unless by aerospace grade epoxies.

Alexander Solis

Your point is well made, but your are still comparing the value of that of fiberglass vs carbon fiber. The strength of carbon would be no doubt greater and will rival or even be superior than that of the fiberglass tube. Now if my tube was fiberglass and I was placing it for the same price at $47, then there is risk involved, because it could be inferior in many ways.

Similar quality I can relate to, but superior is not possible unless by aerospace grade epoxies.

I agree that a Hawk Mountain CF tube will be structurally superior to a Hawk Mountain FG tube. I can't confidently say that a SinfulDarkLord CF tube is better than a Hawk Mountain FG tube.

Let's try it this way. What do you want us to say? I think everyone here is saying materially the same thing but you don't agree with it or continue to try to point out issues.

The Yard Sale on this forum is an appropriate place to sell these tubes. eBay may be another feasible alternative.

The quality of a composite structure depends first on the quality of its construction. Once that is at least adequate, only then does material begin to matter.

With all due respect, if you tube was $3 there is risk. You have to think about the time, effort and other cost associated with a build. If I shred your tube, I may lose a casing, an altimeter or worse. I could even hurt someone. Risk I am not willing to take. Good luck off loading, I get what you are trying to do. It seems your hobby has turned into tube making and you are looking for people to fund your experimenting.

Because I am addicted, this is coming from my phone.

Last edited:
With all due respect, if you tube was $3 there is risk. You have to think about the time, effort and other cost associated with a build. If I shred your tube, I may lose a casing, an altimeter or worse. I could even hurt someone. Risk I am not willing to take. Good luck offloading, I get what you are trying to do. It seems your hobby has turned into tube making and you are looking for people to find your experimenting.

While you're not wrong, I didn't want to go that far. That risk applies to any component you fly regardless of source. Choosing to fly those components is at your discretion and your liability should something go wrong.

I would love to see someone do a "review" of these tubes. Extensive high resolution pictures, weights, measurements, comparisons, and opinions. Incorporate the tube into a rocket and see how it does. I would do that with the 4" tube for an upper section of my Bad Attitude but I am not willing to offer what is being asked. Just today I purchased a Performance tube for that application for $46.

Back