DD ematches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! At 39 cents ea. per 100 is a great price if your a budget flyer just getting started in DD.

Don't these require some kind of Hazmat shipping? $20 for 100 including shipping seems a little too cheap to me...

The most likely do, but I'll bet their manifested as copper wires..........:facepalm:

Bob

I really like the price of the China/Ebay ones, but the other ones are USA and look of better quality. Maybe I'll get a 25 pack of the more expensive ones and the 100 pack of the cheap ones to test.

I really like the price of the China/Ebay ones, but the other ones are USA and look of better quality. Maybe I'll get a 25 pack of the more expensive ones and the 100 pack of the cheap ones to test.

even tough they are cheap I wouldn't trust them. if it was my $100 rocket I would pay the extra dollar for an igniter that I know will work. go with the amazon ones or crazyjims but I wouldn't go near the Chinese stuff.

even tough they are cheap I wouldn't trust them. if it was my $100 rocket I would pay the extra dollar for an igniter that I know will work. go with the amazon ones or crazyjims but I wouldn't go near the Chinese stuff.

Good Point....

I would bet that every source of these come from the same place. Either from Ebay or the forums and even Amazon. I have have tried the ones from here and really liked and even used them in my recent successful L3 cert flight. This is the first time I have ordered them from China, guess we will see if they will work the same. If not I hope I can buy the awesome ones that i've gotten here before.

They are all from China and work great. When it comes to fireworks and how to ignite them, I'll trust the Chinese.

Mark- any experience with those? Any resistance readings?

One batch of 100 (I tested a few from each) came out at about 1.6 ohms each, the another 100 batch came out at 1.4 ohms each. I am no pyro expert, but they look a lot like a Daveyfire. I've used them with the Marsa54L, the RRC3 and the RRC2+ without problems using a 9V battery source. I have not had one test bad. YMMV.

Just to add, the only starters (kit) that scare me are the ones I made myself. Heard the same from others also.

I use up a number of quality e-matches just testing electronics, so these can take the place of the more expensive e-matches in my tests.

I've mentioned before that these cheap Chinese ematches have a failure rate of approximately 1%. I burn several thousand of these a year in pyrotechnic shows, and the failure rate is pretty consistent. I'll also mention they are regulated devices, and cannot be legally shipped without the proper hazmat.

I get that maybe $1 per is steep, but MJG's Firewires are the only ematches it is legal to possess without an ATFE permit. That's not to say that the Chincom matches aren't being sold everywhere you look - including amazon.

KO

They all come from the same place, China. I've had no issues with them at all, work great.

And where do you get your expert opinion from? Have you flown any of these? Have you tested them? Any idea were CJ gets his from? I have used many different types of electric matches over the past 21 years I have been flying high power and have never had one fail, including the chinese variety that you would not trust.
The Chinese matches are a lighter gauge wire than the J-tek or old Davey Fire electric matches, but as I have said, I have not had a failure on the 30 or so I have burned this year.

Please remember that a forum is as good as its members and their experiences. Questions prompt discussions and responses should be from someone who has experience that they can share. Just spouting someones thoughts is useless to any thread asking for help or experience.

I almost forgot. Without putting 'credentials' under your name seems to show lack of experience so: Cert level 3 flown over 48,000 ns in 2014

Whoa, there...!

Opinions are there to be heeded or ignored as one sees fit. He used the words "wouldn't" and "would," meaning that his comments were in the subjunctive case, i.e., hypothetical. If one person writes, "I wouldn't use Chinese igniters," and another person writes, "They're all from China and they're great," what harm has been done?

I've gotta say even though I'm not flying much, it's MJG all the way for reliability.

Even though all Chincom ematches look the same, there are many manufacturers. They are not all the same, in composition or (especially) insulation. A couple years back we got a batch that smelled strongly of phenol, and the pvc insulation was so brittle that it would crack and fall off below 32F. When I cite a 1% failure rate, that's an average across the manufacturers. Some batches may have .1%, some 5 or 6%. You takes your chances.....

KO

I certainly can't say, as I've never seen or used his product. I know other folk have reported them to be reliable.

Kevin

Cheap insurance: backup charges and / or redundant altimeters. Here's the math:

1% failure = 1/100

Chance of two ematches failing independently 1/100 * 1/100 = 1/10,000 odds of both ematches failing

6% failure = approx 1/16

Chance of two ematches failing independently 1/16 * 1/16 = 1/256 odds of both ematches failing

The 6% worst-case odds get a little scary if you aren't using redundant charges; ematches and BP are a lot less expensive than a rocket. ;)

Doug

Back