FREE - Custom Designed and Built Rocketry Components

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on this now for a 24mm tube. I'll have the prototype early next week.

I haven't forgotten your request. I made a prototype, but I did not like how it came out. I am going to try again this week and let you know.

I am working on this one also. I did not like the first prototype I made. It looked right, but not refined.

I think if you are going to turn this into a for profit business, then maybe some practice on nosecones are in order, especially with the closing of Semroc, I know there are some styles of nosecones that are not available in plastic ATM. For example I know I am looking for a replica to the BNC-20AZ nosecone for a mini mean machine scratch build. I know if you could get something with a similar look and weight, you could make a killing.

I am late, but do you still need help with this? I have some time and a working printer.

I could really use some help with my nosecone for my L1 project... The original "bid" winner hasn't been back in touch w/me.

attachment.php

There may be a few minor alterations to the original .ork, so if you're interested, I'll get you the updated dimensions.

I am late, but do you still need help with this? I have some time and a working printer.

Nobody will complain about the wait for free custom parts :) I was contemplating having to build up blocks of balsa and hand carve the shape, something I wasn't looking forward to.

Makerbot Replicator 2 5th Gen. I think if I had a second chance, I would go with the Cube from 3D Systems. I saw a demo of one not long ago. They work the same way, and the output is similar, but the Cube had a few features I liked.

What printer did you get?

I think I mentioned this a few pages back, but maybe it was overlooked... would you be interested in doing a 29mm 5.9" long ogive nose cone for PML phenolic tubing? Could use it on a 29mm min-diameter project (might be even able to test it past mach 1...)

Makerbot Replicator 2 5th Gen. I think if I had a second chance, I would go with the Cube from 3D Systems. I saw a demo of one not long ago. They work the same way, and the output is similar, but the Cube had a few features I liked.

See the Cel Robox? Dual head 0.3 mm and 0.8 mm nozzle, dual material. Only let down is the small size of it

Just checking, did you receive my PM with my address? I'd gladly pay shipping for the part, just let me know when it's coming. I'm ordering the 3" tube and centering rings from Balsa Machining Supply this week. I plan on it being my next project. Make that my next large project. I seem to have at least 1 under construction all the time ;)

I shipped the part last week. Hopefully you will have it soon.

Just checking, did you receive my PM with my address? I'd gladly pay shipping for the part, just let me know when it's coming. I'm ordering the 3" tube and centering rings from Balsa Machining Supply this week. I plan on it being my next project. Make that my next large project. I seem to have at least 1 under construction all the time ;)

I shipped the part last week. Hopefully you will have it soon.

Totally cool, I'm sure Santa will be extra nice to you this year :)

edit: hmmmm...tried to go to your .com and got the "Page Can't Be Displayed" message :p

Last edited:
What are the specs on the tubing? I need the inner and outer diameter. I can design a nose cone from there.

I think I mentioned this a few pages back, but maybe it was overlooked... would you be interested in doing a 29mm 5.9" long ogive nose cone for PML phenolic tubing? Could use it on a 29mm min-diameter project (might be even able to test it past mach 1...)

I'm late to this party but have you considered some generic three and four fin, fin cans in various popular tube sizes?

I wanted to say thanks to Andy and show you what he made for me...

But first... The specifications:

a BT-60 to BT-50, Ogive, 3.7" long with a ledge inside (to prevent a coupler from sliding too far inside the boat tail). Pre-slotted for three, 1/8" thick, fins, with the seam centered on one of the slots . I'm figuring 1 to 1.5mm thick.

image001.jpg

and the first draft:

Boattail_Cross_Section.JPG

The modifications:

I'd suggest removing the Centering ring a the top end, as that can be done with a fiber centering ring up inside the body tube (thus less material needed, as well as being lighter, and with less heat concerns). I'd probably use a CR5550 (centering ring for a BT-55 to BT-50) inside the boat tail as well (in combo w/the boat tail's wall).

And the results:
Boattail.jpg

Looks GREAT!!! I'm going to be rolling in rockets...

Thanks Andy!

Last edited:
How about an AV bay sled, one that mounts with 1/4-20 all thread with 2" spacing?
I can email some details!

I have a hollow nosecone with a screw in plug. The plug fits inside the tube, 29.1mm with the nose cone haveing a full OD of 32.5mm. Do you want me to put air holes in the NC so you can put a small altimeter into it?

Measured using digital calipers:
Outer diameter: 32.5mm
Inner diameter: 29.1mm

Thanks!

I don't know what happened but I haven't received my adapter yet. Got a tube ordered, ran out of money so rings will have to wait until next payday so there's no hurry, I just wonder what part of the country it was sent to :confused:

I have a hollow nosecone with a screw in plug. The plug fits inside the tube, 29.1mm with the nose cone haveing a full OD of 32.5mm. Do you want me to put air holes in the NC so you can put a small altimeter into it?

That's not necessary. I don't have any plans to have an altimeter onboard the rocket (and I can always drill some if I change my mind about that). Can an eyelet be screwed into the plug to act as a shock cord anchor?

PM me your address. See below for the completed product.Snap_1.jpgSnap_2.jpgSnap_3.jpg

That's not necessary. I don't have any plans to have an altimeter onboard the rocket (and I can always drill some if I change my mind about that). Can an eyelet be screwed into the plug to act as a shock cord anchor?

I have printed two of these. If you PM your address, I'll ship them too you.

I think if you are going to turn this into a for profit business, then maybe some practice on nosecones are in order, especially with the closing of Semroc, I know there are some styles of nosecones that are not available in plastic ATM. For example I know I am looking for a replica to the BNC-20AZ nosecone for a mini mean machine scratch build. I know if you could get something with a similar look and weight, you could make a killing.

This is done. PM me your address.

The capsule is bigger around than the Redstone launch vehicle. The base is smaller diameter than the widest point of the capsule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mercury#mediaviewer/File:Mercury-launch-vehicles.jpg

You can zoom in on the photos to get a better view. This SEMROC cone tapers to fill the underside of the Mercury Redstone. That's what I mean by sitting in a socket, at least for this cone for my intended application.

Here are your numbers;

B=2.82
D=2.65
E=1.00
C=3.00
A=2.93 and needs to be 2.5" long.

Thing here is B and D are inside of E. D starts 3/8ths" down from B.

What we have here is a cup with no bottom. The cone is going to be attached to the adapter and I'll eject the whole thing, adapter, cone, tower and all :)

Back