MWP 12 *Unofficial* (but, will happen) Sparky Motor Drag Race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
That's right, Public Enemy Aerospace along with the help of Jenny "Tigress" Gross are organizing an ALL Sparky Drag Race to happen this year on Sat. following the *Official* V-2 and, Wildman "Sport" thingy races.

Here's the premise... We let Tim "The Wildman" Lehr have his fun and, then at approximately 3pm on Saturday afternoon, we let the dogs out!:w:

THE RULES...
1. ALL Rockets must be 4" in Dia. to compete.
2. Maximum Motor Dia. will be 75mm or 76mm to compete..
3. Must fly on a "Sparky" motor of Commercial or EX composition...
4. Highest Altitude reported and, returned to LCO table for recording wins....Must be done by range close BEFORE the Sat. night dinner.
5. Breaking the waiver altitude of 16,000' constitutes a disqualification.

WHAT ARE THE PRIZES...?
One set of prizes awarded to the winner.

1. A Trophy of a toliet standing on a genuine simulated wood grain base of approx. 10" tall, inscribed with: MWP12 Sparky Motor Drag Race Winner.
2. A Public Enemy Aerospace "Motor Diaper"

"HEY! That looks like a Sock!":D
It...is a sock. I normally sell them for $5 apiece at launches and, they work real well at containing the burned up contents of your motor after a firing when you don't have time to clean them up right away...

"Is it made in America like all other fine Public Enemy Aerospace components/products?":D
Why yes it is...You can be assured that it was grown, processed and, manufactured in the USA by genuine American peoples (at least with Green Cards)!

3. A LARGE gift certificate from Wildman Hobbies!:grin:....amount TBD yet.

*ring* *ring!*
"Wildman Hobbies, how can we help you?";)
What are you going to chip in on this drag race?:rolleyes:
"Your not recording this are you? Because that could be construed as *Entrapment*...;)
Course not...I just bought $**** worth of motors from you yesterday and, i need a figure to get people interested....:rolleyes:
"I don't know....got my hands tied with the other two races.....";)
Don't make me take my business to the "Warehouse" guys or the "Dairy Farmer" in California....:rolleyes:
"Why.....you.....little.....$%#@!":surprised:

Gift certificate still yet to be determined...:eek:

A QUICK Q&A SESSION NOW....

"I have a 7.5" Rocket can it fly too!?":p
Only for show, not for the prizes...Rocket size MUST be 4" in Dia.

"If i lose do i have wear a dress?":(
Nope...No humiliation past knowing you were the first loser, second loser.....third loser....

"If my rocket is 4" in Dia. at the base, can it neck down up to the nosecone?":eek:
Nope...Must be 4" from tail to nosecone. "The Dixon Rule" is in effect here.

"Must it have multiple fins?":)
Sather! How did you get in here:confused: If you can make it work on ONE FIN...then by all means do so...

"Can i fly it on a Gorilla motor?":eek:
Why would you want too do that? Ok....here it is again....ALL Commercial and, ALL EX loads are approved...as long as they throw SPARKS. That means yes to: Black Lightnings, Spitfires, Dark Matter, Metalstorm, Skidmark, Kosdon, Sconnie etc.

"Does it cost anything to enter?":D
No....its free. Just your rocket, one motor and, 16,000' of open sky above you.

"What IF i'm flying in from Kali-for-niA and, can't bring a motor or rocket on the plane?":point:
Dave? Dave...IF you want to play, i have an extra Airframe, M2200 Skid and, all required components...loaned out for free to ONLY you.

"If i lose can i wear the dress!":eek:
Dude, your sick....I had to wear the dress one year for being the loser in another contest....its actually quite liberating and, quite DRAFTY...I have new found respect for women since.You may wear the dress if it pleases you.

So far committed entrants are.
1. Jenny "Tigress" Gross.
2. Gus "The Firestarter" Piepenburg
3. Steve "Lumberjack" Pauling.
4. Jason "The Hot Tub" Griffin.
5. Eric "Sconnie" Cayemberg.
6. Preston "Da Fuzz" Nobile.

Who's next?

Last edited:
I'm in, but not for competition. I'm sorry guys, the "skidmark" effect is lost in high altitude flights IMHO. But I have 4" rockets and skids, so I will prolly be first loser. Don't matter, don't care, I love skids, and I wont have to squint to see my rocket!! Gus, how many of dem M2200's you willin to part wif??

I'm sorry guys, the "skidmark" effect is lost in high altitude flights IMHO. But I have 4" rockets and skids, so I will prolly be first loser. Don't matter, Gus, how many of dem M2200's you willin to part wif??

Oui? Au contraire mon frere...:no: I refer you to this simple video:

[video=youtube_share;2dLQ5jTVFCA]https://youtu.be/2dLQ5jTVFCA[/video]

Power is what you feel in your bones...and, bowels.
My STOCKPILE of M2200's is worth more money to me than a pile of N5800's (no kidding).

I will play!

Tim's in! YES!

Okay, I'll bite: what is the "Dixon Rule"

Sharon, good too hear from you! :D A brief definition/clarification of the "Dixon Rule" is as follows:

*To prevent over engineering of a rocket involved in any rocketry competition involving high power motors....a brief but, gentle reminder that the rules set in effect are said rules and, NOT to be over interpreted in any way shape or form. "IE" If the entity known as Tim "Big Bucks" Dixon may, should or be construed as a possible participant....A reminder that (4" Dia.) means: 4" Dia. from where the motor is installed all the way to the nosecone.
MEANING in layman's terminology...Thou shalt NOT....neck thee rocket down from the previously agreed upon 4" Dia. to a smaller Dia. along the entire length of the airframe. Thus a small "Wing Wang Doodle" diameter of an AV bay, Parachute Tube and, Nosecone just north of the motor containment area WILL NOT be tolerated.*

We actually have to clarify that one with him now and, then....

We now have the following add on's to the listing and, thank-you for your participation!:D

7. Jim "The Underboss" Scarpine.
8. Tim "Big Bucks" Dixon.

Last edited:
Hey Gus, remember Jenny's rocket is a Eagle Claw. It has a boat tall at the bottom, only 3 1/4" at the bottom. Under those rules she can't play in her own drag race.

Mike

I have to ask... I thought that the only rule in any MWP drag race is that "Cheating is allowed and Highly encouraged"... :p

I have to ask... I thought that the only rule in any MWP drag race is that "Cheating is allowed and Highly encouraged"... :p

You are 1000% correct, but I would view this as more of a CRM drag race and therefore the rules are enforced by a very large, no necked individual with a painfully descriptive nickname.

Hey Gus, remember Jenny's rocket is a Eagle Claw. It has a boat tall at the bottom, only 3 1/4" at the bottom. Under those rules she can't play in her own drag race.

Mike

&$@¥!:rant::facepalm: I forgot that her design has a "Boat-Tail".....

Boat-Tails ARE allowed....any length...JUST don't neck the rocket DOWN anywhere *North* of the motor mount. Fair? Good.... I think a lot of you know, I don't get a lot of sleep.
Somehow I missed that one. Even Tim's been caught off guard on that one, once or twice.

Dude you know I'm in. I'll see about bringing my Competitor along... It's traditional!

Good.... I will give you the option of a FREE M-2200 Skidmark...

ONLY YOU. :no:

Too be pre-built by me. As a matter of fact if you want, I will show you two preassembled cases and, you pick the motor you want. Yes, eyebolt pre installed.

Call it my graduation gift to you...IF you want it.:eek:

9. David. "That Damn Kid" Reese.

What REALLY scares me is that no one has heard from Claude yet on this subject.:point:
When he gets *quiet*, things are about too happen...

I can picture him hidden in his secret rocket building workshop (underneath his garage) putting the final touches on his entrant.

Something tells me he's been perfecting the art of finless, cone shaped...rockets:confused:

Maybe Le' Nez {The Schnoz} hmmmmmm? Only time will tell.

I gots da show stopper, ifn I can get the "Crazy One" to mix me up a pixie dust ignitor. Standard Arm, 7.5" going on one AMW K500 Skid and 4, yes FOUR CTI J520 Skids!!. Wont win no prizes but gonna be super kewl!! Or maybe I should fly this one all by it self? What say ya'll??

20140703_164214.jpg

Last edited:
I gots da show stopper, ifn I can get the "Crazy One" to mix me up a pixie dust ignitor.

Hey Jimbo....don't you still have some copper thermite?

That's the ticket for your cluster.
bring it & some sticks...... I'll help you make the "goodies to make it go fast"

Ok, solo launch it is. CJ, I have the makins, just haven't mixed any thermite myself. I will bring it.

Ok, solo launch it is. CJ, I have the makins, just haven't mixed any thermite myself. I will bring it.

4.42:1 PBW with the name-bearing ingredient being of the higher proportion. Put in a cup and mix with a tongue depressor. Done.

-S

No no no. Trying to help you by increasing your odds of winning!

BTW...I promise not to win this one, so I'm helping the odds as well!

See, I'm such a generous guy!:p

-Eric-

-Eric-

What? are you going with the collapsible fins again?

What? are you going with the collapsible fins again?

Hey, I prefer to refer to them as "retractable". Naw, just flying the portly "Green Mamba" which is 4.1" dia (instead of 4.0"), too long, too big of fins,wrong nose cone, and way too gnarly of a motor to get anywhere near 16k' with. I'm in it for the show (plus I want to be one of Gus's Groupies)!

-Eric-

-Eric-

I've STILL got my eyes on you....:no::lol:

Sorry guys, the rules totally slipped my mind
I'm still in, 4" SWAT.

Good.....

Any rocket NOT meeting the criteria/rules above...:point: MAY fly with us (provided we still have the *pad* space) as long as the flier KNOWS that they are not in contention to win all the Cookies.

The Gusmeister has spoken.:dark:

Last edited:
Back