Dog House Rocketry - New Charge Well Product Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waywayanda

Reaction score
Over the past year we have made a number of custom sized charge wells to support various requests. While working with a current request, I remembered a design I did for a 38mm MD rocket back around 2006-7. It combines a charge well (~.8g) and terminal block and will fit onto a 38mm coupler. It is approx 1/2" wide by 1" long and 1" tall. The pictures show it mounted on a 38mm coupler bulk plate. I would protect the metal components with a wrap of electric tape to keep them cleaner.

This design will also reduce any blow-by problems from the charge wells. Although a silicone caulk should still be used around the holes - and ANY holes in the bulk plate.

I am looking to see if there is any interest in something like this, as dual deploy on a 38mm rocket is a little sporty. It would likely come with the charge well block, hardware and 6" pigtails with ring lugs installed - no bulk plate.

38mm_well_sideview.jpg38mm_well_closeup.jpg38mm_well_top.jpg38mm_well_bot.jpg

What a great idea! I've been using #4 machine screws through the bulkplates as terminal blocks, this is way better.

Love the idea...ditto on the various sizes, especially if they could fit onto 38mm MD bulkheads.

Taking it one step further it would be great to have the e match pass through the side of the charge-well if you want to maintain the TB design. Ideally I would love to see charge-wells that had a bottom pass through and be able to wire direct to the altimeter. I know ProLine Rocketry has some altimeter bay lids with this design but it would be great to have just the charge-well option instead of buying the entire lid.

Much better idea to me than terminal blocks--very nice. I would buy these.

I built a similar design and it is a three hand process. One hand hold the bulkplate, the other hand fishes the wire between the tiny washers and the third hand tightens the nut with pliers. Problem is I ran out of hands on step 2. I went back to the small doghouse terminal blocks for my bays. Jam the wire in and tighten with a screwdriver.

Thanks for the positive input.
After some quick calculating, I'm thinking sizes of 0.5g, 1.5g, and 3g -maybe slightly less. I will test some prototypes and get material ordered. Compared to our existing charge wells, unfortunately cost will be more as there is more material, more machining and more hardware - won't be able to price till I work up the run.

Could you fit 4-40 brass thumbscrews on those? I did that in one rocket, and it beats needing to get a wrench to tighten them.

Love the idea...ditto on the various sizes, especially if they could fit onto 38mm MD bulkheads.

Taking it one step further it would be great to have the e match pass through the side of the charge-well if you want to maintain the TB design. Ideally I would love to see charge-wells that had a bottom pass through and be able to wire direct to the altimeter. I know ProLine Rocketry has some altimeter bay lids with this design but it would be great to have just the charge-well option instead of buying the entire lid.

Had been looking at the bicycle hollow stem bolts and brake cable keeper to mount the charge well and use green tape around the ematch to seat/plug said hole.

Even losing one more item on the lid would be a big help in 54mm and smaller lids.

BR2043.jpg

Kenny

That's pretty slick. How well do the plastic charge wells hold up? Are they something you have to replace every couple of years or are they good to go for a while?

I can't speak to the long term, but I tested the current 0.5g, 3g, and 6g charge wells at the stated capacity over a dozen times each to look for signs of wear and found none - just residue buildup. The 1.5g charge well was added later and used the same design geometry so felt it was sound.

I intend to do similar testing with this design to ensure wall thickness is sufficient.

Man,, do you come up with some simple fantastic ideas Bill.....
Those look super cool....
For a 38 mm minimum D--- mandatory...
But I'd use those on larger rockets as well....
Just a cleaner nicer design then maintaining terminal blocks also..........

Fantastic idea Bill.....

Teddy

I've been using Doghouse charge-wells for a while now on most of my rockets. They work great and hold up fine - no problems with cracking/splitting/disintegrating. Clean and easy to mount, use, and maintain.
In fact, I just placed an order for a few more about an hour ago.

Bill, I'd love a chance to try these new ones out - any chance you've got a couple available in 1.5g size? If so, throw them in with that order and charge me what's fair.
s6

Hey, where were these when I was building my first AV-bay!

These are a really great idea- I'd use them for sure- also lets you use less wire on the e-match. I like it!

Nate

Update on charge wells? Sorry for bugging you but I have a couple of builds that could use them.

No problem. Always takes a little longer than expected. I was able to get some testing done on the prototypes last weekend, will do some more this weekend. I should have the 0.5g wells in stock and website updated by weeks end. I need to do more testing on two larger sizes (1.5g & ~2.8-3g)

Cool! Can we pre-order them? I have a Wildman mini DD that's just itching for the .5g wells...

No problem. Always takes a little longer than expected. I was able to get some testing done on the prototypes last weekend, will do some more this weekend. I should have the 0.5g wells in stock and website updated by weeks end. I need to do more testing on two larger sizes (1.5g & ~2.8-3g)

Back