TCC October Skies - Oct 17-19 - Central California (near Fresno, CA)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food vendor Menu released:

Friday
Hamburgers/Hot-Dogs (evening)

Sat:
- Breakfast: chorizo and egg burritos with fresh pico de gallo ($5)
- Lunch: world famous tri-tip sandwiches ($8) -or- smoked sausage meal ($5)
- Dinner: (soon-to-be-world-famous) chicken street tacos, rice and beans,
dessert ($10)

Sun:
- Breakfast: pancakes, sausage, bacon ($5)

Food vendor Menu released:

Friday
Hamburgers/Hot-Dogs (evening)

Sat:
- Breakfast: chorizo and egg burritos with fresh pico de gallo ($5)
- Lunch: world famous tri-tip sandwiches ($8) -or- smoked sausage meal ($5)
- Dinner: (soon-to-be-world-famous) chicken street tacos, rice and beans,
dessert ($10)

Sun:
- Breakfast: pancakes, sausage, bacon ($5)

Thanks for posting this, David. This looks like a really good menu!

October Skies T-Shirt Sign up on Web-site.... on top right of main page.

I see the link for the sign-up sheet. Any info on what the shirt looks like or how much it costs? I didn't see anything on that. Do you have to sign up in advance, or do they make extras and I could just buy one once I get there?

Yes, you need to sign up in advance for the shirts. They do not make extras. The design has something to do with the 60th anniversary of the Honest John.

If you want food on Friday you need to let them know in advance too.

I highly recommend signing up for the mailing list. You can find the link at the top left corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Yes, you need to sign up in advance for the shirts. They do not make extras. The design has something to do with the 60th anniversary of the Honest John.

If you want food on Friday you need to let them know in advance too.

I highly recommend signing up for the mailing list. You can find the link at the top left corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks, Chris. I think I am now signed up for the mailing list, so maybe I will now have a better idea what is going on. Even that link was hard to find. It's labeled "Member List," so I was expecting that to be a list of members, not a place to sign up for the email list and view the archives. This club seems almost like a secret society --- it's probably easier to find out info about club events put on by the Illuminati!

Anyway, now that I'm on the list, maybe I'll be looped in a bit better. I need to sign up for the shirt and Friday dinner, and it looks like I am supposed to be notifying someone in advance of my cert attempt.

I see the link for the sign-up sheet. Any info on what the shirt looks like or how much it costs? I didn't see anything on that. Do you have to sign up in advance, or do they make extras and I could just buy one once I get there?

I've not seen an mock up of the T-shirt will post of they share one. As Chris said Honest John Anniversary theme..... I've got 6+ TCC T-Shirts always high quality and fun designs.

I've not seen an mock up of the T-shirt will post of they share one. As Chris said Honest John Anniversary theme..... I've got 6+ TCC T-Shirts always high quality and fun designs.

Thanks, Dave. I'm on the TCC mailing list now, so I'm getting updates. There was no picture of the shirt, but it was described as some kind of mix of Honest John, October and Dairy --- so basally unimaginable, but interesting. I've signed up for one. The word was it is $20.

I also sent an email to James Dougherty to introduce myself and ask a few questions, and he got right back to me. He put me in contact with Cliff and Gene who have agreed to be my NAR cert guys.

Also, I am signed up for onsite food on Friday. (Now, if anyone is planning a trip from the site into Harris Ranch on Friday, and there is a seat available, I could be convinced to cancel my hamburger and hotdog and tag along to town for steaks! But otherwise, I am pretty well set.)

I think all my questions are answered at this point. This is going to be great!

Join TCC at their October Skies Launch....next weekend!

Weather is looking great for October Skies Launch...

Sunny Friday-Sunday, high 70's to low 80's during the day (50's at night so bring a blanket or a friend), 0% chance of rain, low wind (<10 mph, need some breeze since we are around cows):blush:

David, is the launch being held at the usual spot off of W Kamm Road?

The short answer is yes...

I believe it will be same field as Dairy Aire Launch 2013....but slightly different field that years before off West Kamm... you should be able to see us from other fields. Always slight mystery till setup started Friday AM.

The website coordinates seem to be correct...https://www.tccrockets.com

Less than a week to go!

I got a shade canopy on sale last week, and picked up a Comfy Cot from REI --- those two things plus the usual camping gear, and I should be ready to go.

I also received a few new goodies for the L1 cert rocket last week --- a nice chute from sphereachutes and a harness from Onebadhawk. Sweet! Now if I can only solve my paint issues and get my other rockets ready to roll, I'll be good to go...

I'm still not sure exactly when I will get there. I might go as early as Friday, or at least part of it. But I will certainly be there by Saturday morning (if not the day before), and I plan to stay Saturday night to see the night launch.

Do all the pads run all three days? I heard that Friday is the day for experimental, but wasn't sure if the day is exclusively devoted to that, or if other flyers can fly as well. I think it would be really interesting to see, but I don't have anything experimental to fly.

I'm still down for the Leviathan Econojet drag race, as long is I can get it repaired. It's more damaged than I thought --- another victim of Moffett concrete!

Friday is Research day. The only real difference between a Research launch and a Commercial launch is that Tripoli members level 2 and 3 can launch research motors in their cert level. Otherwise it is no different from a commercial launch. The official rules can be found here https://www.tripoli.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=dwhtBHGL9Zc=&tabid=325 . Look at 7.2 for who can participate.

Less than a week to go!

I got a shade canopy on sale last week, and picked up a Comfy Cot from REI --- those two things plus the usual camping gear, and I should be ready to go.

I also received a few new goodies for the L1 cert rocket last week --- a nice chute from sphereachutes and a harness from Onebadhawk. Sweet! Now if I can only solve my paint issues and get my other rockets ready to roll, I'll be good to go...

A cot is a good idea. The farmer tries to level the field but sometimes it can be rough. Bring all the water you will need.

Less than a week to go!

I got a shade canopy on sale last week, and picked up a Comfy Cot from REI --- those two things plus the usual camping gear, and I should be ready to go..

Suggest bringing tied down/straps, etc to secure popups and tents... wind gusts can come up at TCC (and other wide open places.) with little notice.

A cot is a good idea. The farmer tries to level the field but sometimes it can be rough. Bring all the water you will need.

Paraphrasing Karl's advice in re water.

Bring all the water you think you will need and then bring even more.

It's pretty dry out there. You're going to be in the sun. There is always a breeze on the field. It's very easy to dehydrate and very hard to catch up.

Paraphrasing Karl's advice in re water.

Bring all the water you think you will need and then bring even more.

It's pretty dry out there. You're going to be in the sun. There is always a breeze on the field. It's very easy to dehydrate and very hard to catch up.

I've heard it is important to keep hydrated, which I believe means to take hydrogen into one's body --- I'm just not exactly sure how to do that. I'll probably just drink lots of water. I've got a collapsible camp jug that holds several gallons. The ice I bring for my ice chest is also usually frozen gallons of bottled water. I should be alright as long as I actually remember to drink. Does anyone wear a hydration pack? I might bring one. I tend to remember to drnk better if I'm wearing a hydration pack.

I've heard it is important to keep hydrated, which I believe means to take hydrogen into one's body --- I'm just not exactly sure how to do that. I'll probably just drink lots of water. I've got a collapsible camp jug that holds several gallons. The ice I bring for my ice chest is also usually frozen gallons of bottled water. I should be alright as long as I actually remember to drink. Does anyone wear a hydration pack? I might bring one. I tend to remember to drnk better if I'm wearing a hydration pack.
Most people get hydrogen into their bodies through the consumption of hydrogen dioxide (H2O) LOL!

From your description of your supplies, you've got plenty of water. As you say, the key is to remember to actually drink it. If you're thirsty, you're already behind the curve on hydration.

I usually bring bottled water, Gatorade, protein drinks, and tea or coffee for the ride to and from the launch site.

Most people get hydrogen into their bodies through the consumption of hydrogen dioxide (H2O) LOL!

From your description of your supplies, you've got plenty of water. As you say, the key is to remember to actually drink it. If you're thirsty, you're already behind the curve on hydration.

I usually bring bottled water, Gatorade, protein drinks, and tea or coffee for the ride to and from the launch site.

Well, the problem is I'm always THIRSTY...

You are stealing all my ideas. Great minds think alike. I freeze gallons of water and I wear a hydration pack to remind me to drink water.

IMHO it's not THAT hot or dry out there. This isn't Bonneville or Black Rock. It's supposed to be in the low 80s and the humidity will be in the 20-30% range.

However, keep a drink handy (water, iced tea, gatorade, NO sodas). Don't go up to the RSO without one. Your chances of having a long wait are inversely proportional to how well hydrated you are and proportional to how hot it is. Meaning if you walk up there thinking that you'll grab some water when you're done flying there will be a long wait and it will be hotter than you think.

IMHO it's not THAT hot or dry out there. This isn't Bonneville or Black Rock. It's supposed to be in the low 80s and the humidity will be in the 20-30% range.

However, keep a drink handy (water, iced tea, gatorade, NO sodas). Don't go up to the RSO without one. Your chances of having a long wait are inversely proportional to how well hydrated you are and proportional to how hot it is. Meaning if you walk up there thinking that you'll grab some water when you're done flying there will be a long wait and it will be hotter than you think.

It sounds like great weather.

More likely what will happen with me is that I'll line up right after finishing a liter of water and spend my waiting time doing the pee-pee dance.

Since we are in a drought do we drink more draught?

I'm getting packed up today. Not exactly sure how I'm going to fit both the camping gear and the rocket gear in the car at the same time, but I'm sure I will manage somehow.

I'm planning to be there for all 3 days, probably arriving noonish Friday. Who else is going? I know we had a few people chime in earlier, but has everyone settled their plans?

Back