TCC October Skies - Oct 17-19 - Central California (near Fresno, CA)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF...I make it down to October Skies I want to launch my Polecat Aero Goblin 5.5 so that gives me about three weeks to get everything right...

Note to self: Make sure I have a Fruity Chute that's at least 42" in diameter.

Failing that I will be just launch my 38mm crayon rocket on some sort of I motor...like an I218R or even an I285R

Kit, I'll loan you a chute - don't let that stop you.

Ari, I'm looking forward to seeing the Have Pink flight. After seeing your great Mega Baron flights at LUNAR, I've been really interested in rocket gliders.

I'm going to try to fly my staged mega mosquito at this launch, and also maybe a few cluster flights. I'm working on a BT60 tube fin rocket with 3 18mm mounts that should fly well off the low power pads.

This reminds me that I still haven't edited or posted Have Pink flights from XPRS. It flew twice, on H135 and I65.

Ari.

I'm still not sure exactly when I will get there. I might go as early as Friday, or at least part of it.

Thirsty,

Be careful of traffic getting out of Bay late Friday afternoon and evening. Can be brutal. Got stuck in it once going to a TCC launch. Never again.

Okay, if I go (I'm about 75% sure), this is what I plan on bringing. Whether or not I launch them all, depends on the conditions.

Plasma Fart
Big Bad Burt
Unguided Mayhem
Jersey Bomber

P1040197.JPG

P1010688.JPG

P1020799.JPG

P1050055.jpg

Last edited:
Thirsty,

Be careful of traffic getting out of Bay late Friday afternoon and evening. Can be brutal. Got stuck in it once going to a TCC launch. Never again.

Thanks. I know it can be a real mess. Now I'm leaning toward going earlier on Friday, so I should be OK. I'm in the Tri-Valley, so the worst part during the afternoon and evening is getting through Livermore and over the Altamont with everyone heading home to Tracy. After that it should be fine.

Any more info about the FOOD situation? I can definitely fend for myself with camp cooking, but it would be nice to know if there will be anyone selling food on site.

What do the overnight campers usually do? Camp cooking? Vendors? BBQ? Head into town fer a hoot?

Any more info about the FOOD situation? I can definitely fend for myself with camp cooking, but it would be nice to know if there will be anyone selling food on site.

What do the overnight campers usually do? Camp cooking? Vendors? BBQ? Head into town fer a hoot?

In the past it been a mix... vendor or Scouts there for Breakfast/Lunch on Sat/Sun... Dinner on your own and Friday. We've gone to Fresno, Harris Ranch, or I5 exits for dinner cause we don't bring cooking gear.

I'll ask TCC if a food vendor lined up for this year.

TCC has always had a food vendor offering three meals each day. For the past five years or so, a Boy Scout troop has stepped up to provide a great service. The scout's leader is leading a new group to provide the same menu choices as before at the same prices. This is a very good thing! TCC's "October Skies" launch is a three day affair, with Friday being slated for EX motors. Typically there is a night launch on Saturday. Check the TCC website to confirm the exact location.
Spoiler alert!!!!!! TCC will roll out a second heavy duty away cell (500' pad) so there won't be any waiting for those flying M motors or complex projects!

TCC has always had a food vendor offering three meals each day. For the past five years or so, a Boy Scout troop has stepped up to provide a great service. The scout's leader is leading a new group to provide the same menu choices as before at the same prices. This is a very good thing! TCC's "October Skies" launch is a three day affair, with Friday being slated for EX motors. Typically there is a night launch on Saturday. Check the TCC website to confirm the exact location.
Spoiler alert!!!!!! TCC will roll out a second heavy duty away cell (500' pad) so there won't be any waiting for those flying M motors or complex projects!

This sounds great. I'm glad to hear there will be a food option. This is my first time at a TCC launch, so I have no idea what the same menu choices and same prices as before means. If you've got that info, that would be great --- if not, then I will just trust that the BSA will not let us down.

When you say that Friday is slated for EX motors, do you mean that Friday is exclusivly experimental? Or do you mean that EX motors are allowed on that day as well as other non-experimental flyers?

Thanks for the info.

This sounds great. I'm glad to hear there will be a food option. This is my first time at a TCC launch, so I have no idea what the same menu choices and same prices as before means. If you've got that info, that would be great --- if not, then I will just trust that the BSA will not let us down.

When you say that Friday is slated for EX motors, do you mean that Friday is exclusivly experimental? Or do you mean that EX motors are allowed on that day as well as other non-experimental flyers?

Thanks for the info.

Ex are allowed, you can fly commercial motors but you'll need to be a TRA member (or join that day). Others can comment if I'm wrong.

The last time I was there, they allowed NAR members to fly high power, but that was a few years ago. In fact, in 2010, I got my NAR Level 1 there.

Ex are allowed, you can fly commercial motors but you'll need to be a TRA member (or join that day). Others can comment if I'm wrong.

Earlier in the thread someone told me you do NOT need to be a member of TRA or TCC to fly at the event. You will need to be a TRA or NAR member to attempt a cert flight, of course, so I planned to join NAR, because my local club is NAR affiliated.

Are you saying I would need to join TRA to fly at the event at all, or only if I wanted to fly commercial motors on Friday?

You do NOT need to be a TRA or NAR member to fly on Saturday and Sunday. I will ask about Friday and get back to you.

You do NOT need to be a TRA or NAR member to fly on Saturday and Sunday. I will ask about Friday and get back to you.

Thanks, Chris. I would probably spend most of my time watching on Friday anyway, but I'd like to know in case I do want to fly.

I spoke to Mike at BAR today, and he confirmed he would be there. He's in Reno today picking up the trailer. It sounds like it has been a nightmare. He said he'd have plenty of the DMS motors I'm interested in for the cert attempt, so no need to pre-order. I didn't get to ask if he would be bringing any cert specials for reloadable motors, but I see some listed on his website.

I asked about Friday. It doesn't appear that they are doing research motors on Friday. This is directly from the club president.

"Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are Tripoli commercial flying days only.

NAR members are welcome.

You need to be a Tripoli or NAR certified L1 and higher to fly high power."

Chris

Earlier in the thread someone told me you do NOT need to be a member of TRA or TCC to fly at the event. You will need to be a TRA or NAR member to attempt a cert flight, of course, so I planned to join NAR, because my local club is NAR affiliated.

Something to consider. If you are flying at a TRA event and plan to cert flight for NAR, you need to make sure someone with NAR credentials can take care of your cert flight. We had someone show up at our NAR launch once wanting to cert Tripoli and he wasn't able to as there was no one with Tripoli credentials to help him out on that day.

I asked about Friday. It doesn't appear that they are doing research motors on Friday. This is directly from the club president.

"Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are Tripoli commercial flying days only.

NAR members are welcome.

You need to be a Tripoli or NAR certified L1 and higher to fly high power."

Chris

Thanks for the info, Chris.

It seems like maybe the club should try to get some of this info and the other details up on their website. There are a lot of people with misconceptions about what is really going on and what is happening each day. And I don't mean to criticize anyone who has offered info in this thread --- I know everyone is trying to be helpful by offering their understanding of what is going on. Thanks, everyone. But it points up the fact that the club needs to get the details out, because even those people who think they know what is happening don't have all of it exactly correct.

On the research motors thing, I know for a fact I spoke to someone at the last Moffett launch who is going on Friday specifically to launch research motors with their son who has been working on a research project. If I can remember their TRF handle, I'll PM them. There are a number of people who have posted in the thread that Friday is for research, and up until now, no one has said any different, so I assume EVERYONE who has posted in the thread or has READ the thread up until now is under the impression that is the case. I know that was my impression, and not just from what I read here, but also word of mouth.

Maybe the club members have received an email or something with all the details. But if you are just a guest planning your first trip to the event, and you have to rely on the website or this event thread, the info is a bit spotty.

Thanks again for hunting down the info, Chris!

Back