Eggfinder and Bluetooth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cberrya6e

Reaction score
I have just tested adding Bluetooth to an Eggfinder receiver kit. I used an HC-06 and with some guidance from Cris Erving (Eggfinder vendor), I connected up the module to the receiver. Then, I downloaded Rocket Locator from Google Play Store onto my HTC Evo 4G LTE (Sprint provider). After getting all components turned on, I paired the phone with the HC-06 and opened Rocket Locator. After configuring RL to use the HC-06, I was presented with the real time map and directional data to my transmitter! I moved around the house and the data was updated appropriately. Next to test in the field at our next launch here in Houston.

I will mount this receiver setup in a project box obtained from Frys. I will extend the LEDs off the RX board to allow flush mounting in the box. I may do the same for the HC-06, but it is an SMD and that may be a Pain-Too-Far for me to execute. I will post photos as I proceed through this if there is any interest from the congregation.

Regards,
Chuck Berry
Houston, TX

TRA #14528
L1, L2: Madcow Super DX-3

One thing to keep in mind is 1. It can be hard to read a telephone screen in direct sunlight. I stuck my Nexus 7 Flo in a shallow box I painted the inside flat black for better visibility.
2. If one doesn't have network access to maps, one will still get the two dots with a line that will still allow navigation to the rocket. Kurt

One thing to keep in mind is 1. It can be hard to read a telephone screen in direct sunlight. I stuck my Nexus 7 Flo in a shallow box I painted the inside flat black for better visibility.
2. If one doesn't have network access to maps, one will still get the two dots with a line that will still allow navigation to the rocket. Kurt

No problem in the sun with the Retina display on my Iphone.. very bright.

No problem in the sun with the Retina display on my Iphone.. very bright.

You got it made then!! Laptops are NG in sunlight. I stuff one in the car just for recording a fllght and use a handheld receiving/tracking solution to go after the rocket. Unfortunately, I suspect some folks find their phones/devices are hard to read after the fact. Kurt

Last edited:
You got it made then!! Laptops are NG in sunlight. I stuff one in the car just for recording a fllght and use a handheld receiving/tracking solution to go after the rocket. Unfortunately, I suspect some folks their phones/devices are hard to read after the fact. Kurt

Yeah I had the same experience with my Android tablet (samsung),, my son has an Ipad that he uses in the sun at baseball tournaments/games and he says he can see it fine so maybe it's the retina display. Looks like I'm going to go to the bigger Ipad because even though the Iphone works fine for the sun my eyes don't anymore.:eyepop::sad:

Ok, since there was a modicum of interest, I have the build photos posted below. Please note, I used materials I had on hand in an effort to keep costs and trips to Frys down. I wanted a device that would be self-supporting with a 9V power source which coincided with a project box already on hand. In addition, I did not adhere to standardized wiring colors due to supply on hand. Finally, I have decided not to remove the SMD LEDs on both the RX and Bluetooth modules and solder in wired LEDs due to difficulty and doubts about my own skill to do so at this time. Here we go:

1. Built Eggfinder RX kit, but did not wire in the included USB leads. Instead, I soldered in standard 1.5mm header connectors into those 3 mounting holes (+3V, GND, RXD). I also did not wire din the one through-hole Power LED, but instead soldered in wires to these mounting holes. I soldered standard 1.5m plugs to these wires so that I could attach and remove them from the Power LED mounted on the surface of the box. I did the same to the power wiring from the RX board in order to mount a slide switch beside the LED on the surface of the box.
IMAG0852.jpg

2. Next, I cut a hole for the RP-SMA antenna through the wall of the lower half of the box. I mounted the RX board using 4-40 nylon hardware, with 5 minute epoxy bonding the posts to the box bottom.
IMAG0856.jpg

3. I soldered 1.5mm header connectors to wires attached to the posts of the power switch. Next, I cut a hole in the upper half of the box for the Power LED. I did the same for the slide switch, as well as measuring and drilling holes for the switch's mounting screws. I then mounted them to the upper half of the box.
TOP:
IMAG0857.jpg
BOTTOM:
IMAG0859.jpg

4. I used standard 1.5mm connecting wires to connect the RX board to the Bluetooth module. I connected them using this wiring scheme:
RED: 3.3VDC (RX board) to PWR (HC-06 Bluetooth module)
YELLOW: GND (RX board) to GND (HC-06)
ORANGE: RXD (RX board) to RXD (HC-06)
I used double-sided mounting tape to attach the HC-06 module since there were no mounting holes on that module.
IMAG0858.jpg

5. Now, since I did not extend the comms status LEDs off the RX and BT modules, I had to estimate their position relative to the upper half of the box and drill holes through the upper half to allow me to see them.
IMAG0861.jpg

6. I then turned on the Eggfinder TX board and this new receiver. After turning on Rocket Locator on my phone, I verified that data was being received by the Eggfinder and sent to my phone. It worked perfectly! Here is a last image showing most of the lights working - I could not time the shutter to capture the BT LED adequately.
IMAG0866.jpg

I want to thank Cris Erving for his help earlier this year in sussing this out; I was only just recently able to get back to this project and finish it as you see above.

Back