[Recycle] Wreck to retro!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
Last year my Estes Wizard core sampled hard, unwrapping part of the body tube and popping off a fin. I listed it as RIP in my logbook but I kept the parts around. This summer has been a low-build one so I wanted a fun project to inject myself with some building energy. I noticed that about 7" of the body tube was serviceable, so I decided to recycle my broken Wizard into a "close enough" clone of a classic out-of production Estes rocket.

Here is what was left of my Wizard (minus the streamer).
IMGA0031.JPG

The sticker came off with minimum residue. I then cut down the BT to 7".
IMGA0033.JPG

The "T-Bag" was removed with my hobby knife and sand paper.
IMGA0034.JPG

The other two fins were removed. Different ones will be attached after I sand the BT a bit and ready it for a new paint job.
IMGA0035.JPG

Can anyone guess what rocket I am building here?

The Tea-bagger? (just kidding here....I have no idea...)

Looking at my paint supplies, I might forgo the traditional paint scheme and go with something black and orange. I am getting ahead of myself though, I have lots of body tube sanding to do!

Sky Hook is an awesome flyer! Can't wait to see it!

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Fins are on! Even though it looks fugly after I sanded it down, that classic shape sure is pretty!

IMGA0038.JPG

Classic design!

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

I finally painted it and added a 2"X20" crepe streamer. I have some A8-5 motors and I hope to launch it soon!

IMGA0042.JPG

IMGA0043.JPG

IMGA0046.JPG

My daughter won a Semroc Skyhook kit at one of our clubs drawings for kids who participate in a Launch event and launch a rocket. She launched my ancient Estes Courier (kit 1911). We built here Skyhook and she flew it at the next event and had a blast. They fly beautifully, only problem is even the poly-chutes they come with are hard to stuff in that short tube, and I over did the dog barf and it failed to deploy the melted chute just popped the NC out, minor damage broken fin. Definitely go with a mylar 8 to 12 inch parachute.

I launched it today for it's first flight and it was soooo smoooth! It ascended to a great altitude on an A8-5 and came down perfectly on it's streamer. I think that it flies better than as a Wizard!

Back