Arapahoe-J - Successful L2 Cert!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the straight purple, not the grape.

Color chart

That's odd. I looked at that chart today too. and the only purple they show is the grape. I'm gonna take a closer look at what is in stock next time I'm in the paint dept for sure. The reason I bought the Valspar for mine was because it was the closest to a medium purple I could find. Everything was either deep, or edging on lavender.

This purple looks pretty deep on the site, but a little less so on the cap. I'm not sure about it which is why I will start with the NC. Easier to refinish than fins.

I like the purple, but there are some things to know about it. The important things are all there, the color is good, covers well, gives a glossy finish without requiring a coat that risks serious runs, so all in all good performance. Except, the initial adhesion is less than I would have though. On a color coat I usually wait about 20 minutes then carefully remove the masking, I've found some paints can flake if you let them cure too much. In this case you HAVE to pull the tape back at a sharp angle, go with a shallow angle and you can lift some of the edge. As a result there are a few spots I'd like to redo, but they may get left on the basis of risk versus reward. The second fin can pic shows the worse lift, on the strake near the coupler end. Anyhow, the pic of the NC in the sun is a good representation of the color.

paint_tail_1.jpg paint_tail_2.jpg paint_nc_1.jpg

This is Rustoleum 2X Purple Gloss over Rustoleum 2X White Gloss over Rustoleum Automotive Grey Primer. Compatibility isn't the issue.

Last edited:
Ace Hardware has both shades in my town. The grape looks much lighter than the rich purple. And THAT, is rich! I think purple is an awesome color for this design. I also think, that the paint scheme is what puts this design in a class of it's own. I don't know if Thrustline knew what they had created, but it was definitely out of the box. Fins like no other, trim like no other...I truly fell in love with the whole package at first sight. I just can't say enough about this model. For all other builders that don't flex scratch building this, maybe the new Semroc will kit this up? It's worthy.

Ace Hardware has both shades in my town. The grape looks much lighter than the rich purple. And THAT, is rich! I think purple is an awesome color for this design. I also think, that the paint scheme is what puts this design in a class of it's own. I don't know if Thrustline knew what they had created, but it was definitely out of the box. Fins like no other, trim like no other...I truly fell in love with the whole package at first sight. I just can't say enough about this model. For all other builders that don't flex scratch building this, maybe the new Semroc will kit this up? It's worthy.

Its most definitely worthy of a re-release by somebody, I'm considering building ones in BT60 size and also a 3 inch (since I'm going to make a mold for a FG NC for my 3" Patriot scale build the NC and tailcone could come from the same mold).

Its most definitely worthy of a re-release by somebody, I'm considering building ones in BT60 size and also a 3 inch (since I'm going to make a mold for a FG NC for my 3" Patriot scale build the NC and tailcone could come from the same mold).

You could use the same cone easily. I will point out that the shape of the two ends is actually different. The boat tail is a more gradual taper than the NC. At 4" the PML nose cone was the best match for the boat tail, while the LOC NC was the best NC match. In the end, who would know...do what makes you happy.

I like the purple, but there are some things to know about it. The important things are all there, the color is good, covers well, gives a glossy finish without requiring a coat that risks serious runs, so all in all good performance. Except, the initial adhesion is less than I would have though. On a color coat I usually wait about 20 minutes then carefully remove the masking, I've found some paints can flake if you let them cure too much. In this case you HAVE to pull the tape back at a sharp angle, go with a shallow angle and you can lift some of the edge. As a result there are a few spots I'd like to redo, but they may get left on the basis of risk versus reward. The second fin can pic shows the worse lift, on the strake near the coupler end. Anyhow, the pic of the NC in the sun is a good representation of the color.

This is Rustoleum 2X Purple Gloss over Rustoleum 2X White Gloss over Rustoleum Automotive Grey Primer. Compatibility isn't the issue.

What kind of tape are you using? I've had the same problem with even delicate surface tape. I've had better results with Tamiya masking tape.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-and-games&field-keywords=tamiya+masking+tape

https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-model-masking-tape-refill-10-mm-87034

View attachment 252189 View attachment 252190 View attachment 252191

The artist is his worst critic. It's a beauty and... dead sexy ! :grin::clap:

What kind of tape are you using? I've had the same problem with even delicate surface tape. I've had better results with Tamiya masking tape.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-and-games&field-keywords=tamiya+masking+tape

https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-model-masking-tape-refill-10-mm-87034

Tamiya is what I use. The tape did not lift the paint under it, but the purple paint on the tape pulled some of the adjacent purple with it. So, not a tape issue, but a paint layer adhesion issue. I checked the paint this morning and it appears to have bonded well.

The last painting task is the black trim. The trickiest bit of this will be the strake details. I was thinking of using increasingly smaller lines with a constant size silver accent line. I was unsure exactly what size would look best, so I made a document with increasing size patterns, so I could hold them up and compare. Once I had the size I liked I cut it out.

marking1.jpg marking2.jpg

With the fin can attached I was also able to continue the masking line for the purple on the fin can so the black stripes would be the correct width. The fin can was removed and the pattern was used to mark the areas to be black (zoom in on pic and you will see the markings). The black lines were then masked off as carefully as possible. Note: I always use Tamiya tape, these things are too much work to cheap out on tape and lift some paint. It's not as pricy if you buy 5 rolls at a time from Hong Kong like I do.

marking3.jpg marking4.jpg marking5.jpg

The pinstripes on the fins and the big stripe at the top of the bt were also masked off. Masking paper was used to finish up the job, this I do hold together with cheap tape as it only touches the Tamiya tape it isn't at risk to pull up any paint.

marking6.jpg marking7.jpg

Unfortunately our launch for today was cancelled by a soggy field, but at least the weather was nice enough to paint. I sprayed the black and let it partially cure (~20 min) then carefully unmasked everything. Overall I am pretty happy with it. The fin can pinstripes are flawless as is the top band on the bt. Unfortunately there was some bleed through around the strakes in a couple places. This occurred even though I used Tamiya tape, and gave a quick hit of clear before spraying color. I have had this happen before around curves, and it is totally my fault. The only downside to Tamiya tape is that it has absolutely zero stretch, so if you don't have it down perfectly in a corner it will not seal. In any event the bleed through is not bad, and the first person that complains can fix it. Repairing these imperfections definitely fall under diminishing returns. Also, I think I have decided to forgo the silver accent stripes, this just looks really crisp, but I'll see what I think when it is together.

fincan_full.jpg fincan_zoom.jpg

bt_full.jpg bt_zoom.jpg

I just have to do the decals, and I don't clear coat (too many bad experiences to risk it). The next update should be one or both of my short people posing with the finished product.

Last edited:
It is done!

Final step was Stickershocking this thing. This one is simple, just three decals, two Thunderbirds on the full color fin, and the name. The only trick here was that the name was used to conceal two of the holes. This took some careful alignment, and the holes were cut out with a fresh xacto blade after decal application.

finished-alone.jpg finished-bird.jpg finished-holes.jpg

And of course, the photo with the launch and recovery crew (with fresh bike helmet head).

finished-boys.jpg

Maiden flight will be February 28th, weather permitting. No shake down flights, going straight for the L2 flight, going to definitely be DD with a J415W (AT 54-1280) or a J460T (AT 54-852) if it is too windy to go high. Although, those plans may change between now and when I put in my order.

Overall, I am glad this build is done. It was beginning to tire me a bit. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but getting motivated to do this much finishing work is tough. It will be sometime before I do another 4" project. Going to go the other way and do some MD stuff, or maybe that 2.1" Duster I talked about next.

I can't wait to see this thing fly. How about a long burn like the J135W?

Long burn would be fun, but this guy is beefy. With recovery gear it will easily be in the 7-8 lb range, so it will need a kick to get going. I'm not into slow take offs as my Warp-9 addiction shows. The ultimate goal for this rocket is the K375NW boost-sustain motor. That should be epic. Having used Magnaframe I will have to keep this thing under Mach...really should have used Blue tube, but oh well.

She turned out beautiful CI. You did an excellent job. Kickass color scheme, eh? Looking forward to the vid also. I love this design.

OH.....btw, your kids complement the rocket. Good looks all around!

That is SWEEEEEET!

She turned out beautiful CI. You did an excellent job. Kickass color scheme, eh? Looking forward to the vid also. I love this design.

OH.....btw, your kids complement the rocket. Good looks all around!

Thanks gents.

Gary, I do love this color scheme. I give full credit to you on that because I blatantly ripped it off from you...ah, I mean your fine rocket was the inspiration for it...yeah, that's it.

Thanks gents.

Gary, I do love this color scheme. I give full credit to you on that because I blatantly ripped it off from you...ah, I mean your fine rocket was the inspiration for it...yeah, that's it.

Purple works for me too dood. It's a sexy look on the right rocket.

And that's how a build thread is done. Looking forward to many successful flights. Whata beauty !

Anyhow, the pic of the NC in the sun is a good representation of the color.

View attachment 252189 View attachment 252190 View attachment 252191

Hmmm. To me, that nose cone shade looks like a match to the 2x Gloss Grape I used to repaint my old NCR Thunderbolt:
8581562560_a0726e654b_m.jpg

Granted, your shot was outdoors and mine was indoors using a flash.

LW, I think that yours is more of a lavender color, whereas CI's nosecone photo just looks a little washed out.

First off, thanks everyone for the kind words and following along. Build threads are some work, so it is gratifying when people follow along.

Hmmm. To me, that nose cone shade looks like a match to the 2x Gloss Grape I used to repaint my old NCR Thunderbolt:
8581562560_a0726e654b_m.jpg

Granted, your shot was outdoors and mine was indoors using a flash.

I suspect these colors are a bit closer to each other than the Rustoleum pallet would suggest. I bet if we put them side by side we would see a difference, but I doubt it would be profound.

Really nice work. I see a J1299N in your future!

Pusher! Enabler! Man who is almost certainly correct...with time though. That will come after a long burn K and a K boost-sustain flight. Believe it or not I have writen out plans for motor progression in each rocket. Found these bigger motors need more forethought and budgeting. Especially now that I have this guy who brings them right to the field.

Back