I540 to Mach 2 - 38mm Flying Case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly - the altimeter "thought" it was still moving at a high rate of speed, and yet it fired the apogee charge anyway. I will email David at entacore to inquire about how the accelerometer is used to sense apogee, he has been very helpful in the past.

This may be the case, as the accelerometer measures net force, and the thrust would equal the Net Force + Drag Force.

Looking at Openrocket, the drag force increases sort of linearly from 0 N to 130 N at max speed. Using this, the loss of impulse due to drag would be roughly 65 N-sec (and this is a bit generous). Adding this to the total impulse I calculated before, 469 N-sec, and adding in the maximum feasible losses due to the maxed sensor for 0.1 sec (17 N-s) I get 548 N-s which still leaves me short of 635 N-sec.

... unless you were moving faster than what was predicted in your simulation ...

Overall though I care less about this and more why it burned so extremely fast. Accounting for drag forces means the thrust curve I posted earlier has overall lower thrust than the actual motor put out, meaning it could have possibly produced almost 900 Newtons of peak thrust - 50% more than the published thrust curve.

... and in that case, could your acceleration data be correct?

It's been a few years, but I've burned dozens of I 540's. I never got a liner or nozzle that looked like yours.

Jim

... unless you were moving faster than what was predicted in your simulation ...

... and in that case, could your acceleration data be correct?

It's been a few years, but I've burned dozens of I 540's. I never got a liner or nozzle that looked like yours.

Jim

You're probably right - adding in all these factors I probably got pretty close to the full impulse, with some loss due to possibly spitting something 0.6 secs into the burn.

I have flown an I540 once before about a year ago, and it's liner was 100% intact with no holes, and the nozzle did not have near the pitting or missing pieces.

I almost want to fly an I540 in a large rocket like my 5.5'' skeeter with the XTRA onboard, and see what the thrust curve comes out to be in a rocket with normal acceleration.

Hey guys,,,,
I remember hearing a pop while the rocket was under thrust...
Watch the video again,,,
you see to puffs in the smoke trail just after the pop in the burn.....

Teddy

Hey guys,,,,
I remember hearing a pop while the rocket was under thrust...
Watch the video again,,,
you see to puffs in the smoke trail just after the pop in the burn.....

Teddy

I noticed that, too. Maybe some sort of overpressure and blowout? That could happen if a sufficiently large chunk of propellant broke off the grain (high G loading?) and blocked core flow.

Also, from the picture, the nozzle throat appears to be MIA, and I doubt erosion would have that profound of an impact over such a short burn. Looks like something wiped it out at high speeds. The lack of an appropriately-sized nozzle throat would cause chamber pressure to plummet and so also thrust.

Really glad to see you got it back... Hope you can figure out all the issues and try again!
Of course, best of luck with round 2!

(Just wish I could covertly get my post count up to 25 without it being too obvious to qualify for the 38 720 hardware give away..

Really glad to see you got it back... Hope you can figure out all the issues and try again!
Of course, best of luck with round 2!

(Just wish I could covertly get my post count up to 25 without it being too obvious to qualify for the 38 720 hardware give away..

The only problem you have there is the word covert.................

Just start shamelessly posting like a maniac rocketeer drooling over a hardware giveaway............

Tell ya what,,,
If you win the hardware,,,
I'll throw in a harness.....

Now go get ta posting.....................lol

Teddy

The only problem you have there is the word covert.................

Just start shamelessly posting like a maniac rocketeer drooling over a hardware giveaway............

Tell ya what,,,
If you win the hardware,,,
I'll throw in a harness.....

Now go get ta posting.....................lol

Teddy

haha not trying to derail here.... I as well as every astute person here noticed the 2 blips in the video as well... Gotta get more time to build one of these min. diameters for myself.. Need more experience points before i can say anything... Although I will take your advice!

Last edited:
Finally got around to compiling some of the video footage I got:

[video=youtube;zVprnNnDLe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVprnNnDLe8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

While I would love to try again on an I540, the 5+ hour drive to potter to get the necessary waiver means it will probably be quite a while (next summer) before I get a chance to fly this thing again. I may wait until May next year to get my level 2, and then go fly this thing on some J motors.

So we know that this rocket can easily handle around mach 2 and 105+ G's. Do you guys think that it (specifically the fincan) could handle something like a CTI 6GXL J530 which would take it to mach 2.72, 60 G's and 19,500'? Or even better a Loki J1000, 110 G's, mach 2.8, and 22,000'?

Not sure if I explained earlier in the thread, but the fins are just under 3/32'' thick, CF with 6 layers of UNI CF oriented perpendicular to the BT and 3 layers of 3oz twill - so ridiculously stiff for this size fin. They are glued on with large Proline 4500 fillets.

I'm also dying to try this on the new 6GXl J150-MY, which would be (in comaprison) a nice gentle flight to mach 1.73, 24 G's and 19,000' with a 6.5 sec burn time... :D

Last edited:
Awesome video. I say knock yourself out man. Do whatever you feel like doing.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

I would like to see something like this with done with a 54mm 6xl L265 for some serious altitude, or maybe an L1030?

[video=youtube;zVprnNnDLe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVprnNnDLe8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

While I would love to try again on an I540, the 5+ hour drive to potter to get the necessary waiver means it will probably be quite a while (next summer) before I get a chance to fly this thing again. I may wait until May next year to get my level 2, and then go fly this thing on some J motors.

So we know that this rocket can easily handle around mach 2 and 105+ G's. Do you guys think that it (specifically the fincan) could handle something like a CTI 6GXL J530 which would take it to mach 2.72, 60 G's and 19,500'? Or even better a Loki J1000, 110 G's, mach 2.8, and 22,000'?

Not sure if I explained earlier in the thread, but the fins are just under 3/32'' thick, CF with 6 layers of UNI CF oriented perpendicular to the BT and 3 layers of 3oz twill - so ridiculously stiff for this size fin. They are glued on with large Proline 4500 fillets.

I'm also dying to try this on the new 6GXl J150-MY, which would be (in comaprison) a nice gentle flight to mach 1.73, 24 G's and 19,000' with a 6.5 sec burn time... :D

I don't think words could describe how awesome any of those flights would be. Of course, good luck finding those rockets...

Wow,,
What a great video Coleman..
Again..
You must be tired of hearing it,,
you have come as far in making these videos as you have in rocketry....

Even I'm excited at the prospect of you getting your level 2 certification.... lol

Teddy

Fantastic video, no doubt about it. Some serious wind that day too, eh? Loved the Cato view.
Looking at the still shot of your flight, you can even see what I assume to be the mach transition in the exhaust trail.

-Hans

With LDRS up in Potter getting close enough to start planning for, I've been thinking about what the next iteration of this rocket is going to be.

I've always wanted to fly a loki J1000, and with the release of the thrust curve of the new Loki 38/1200 K1127 a while ago, of course I had to have some fun in openrocket with it! What I discovered is that if I replaced my heavy filament wound NC with one of the new polycarbonate NC's that RW sells (https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=748), I would be able to hit 21,000' and mach 3.00 with the K1127 :cool:

Now, mach 3.00 is a big change from the I540 flight in terms of speed and altitude. If it burns normally, then it shouldn't pull significantly more G's than the I540 flight since it burned so much faster than the published thrust curve (it probably hit around 110-115 g's, and the K1127 is predicted at 124 g's). I'm not really worried about the altitude either; I have access to a very nice 3-D printer at my highschool, and I plan on printing an all in one electronics mount and unique dual deployment system so that it won't drift too far from 20k+.

What would worry me about the flight would be the speed. I am unsure if I need to add t-2-t CF layups to strengthen the fins. They are already extremely stiff at 3/32'' thick with a large percentage of the fibers being unidirectional CF perpendicular to the airframe. Also, I'd at a minimum coat the fin leading edges in black proline epoxy to protect them from delamination. Additionally, do you guys think the RW polycarbonate NC would be able to handle the stress/heat of the flight? I'm sure a FWFG NC can, but if I can save weight with the polycarbonate NC I will.

Lastly, though I don't want to start another huge stability argument :lol:, I was very surprised at the CP shift openrocket calculates for this flight. Using the component analysis which ignores the CG change during motor burn, the CP @ M=0.3 is ~3.5, M=1.0 ~4.1, M=2.0 ~1.5, and then M=3.00 its -0.6. Thats almost 5 calibers of CP shift from M1 to M3! :shock: Is this really realistic?

View attachment 38mm Flying Case.rkt

This sounds like an awesome project!
re stability: CG shift will affect stability. OR gives you the option to plot stability vs time, which takes propellant burn into account. With a J1000 (I can't get the k1127 to work) it dips to .75 calibers.

I'm eager to see this!

Nate

all those awesome flights and you didn't include the launch of the coolest rocket??? the 3" baby bertha at 3:12 :grin:

This sounds like an awesome project!
re stability: CG shift will affect stability. OR gives you the option to plot stability vs time, which takes propellant burn into account. With a J1000 (I can't get the k1127 to work) it dips to .75 calibers.

I'm eager to see this!

Nate

Thanks Nate! I have the numbers without the CG shift accounted for just to show how much the CP moves, which is what I was questioning. With the K1127 in flight it drops to ~0.5, which is too low a margin if it's truly accurate. (FYI the K1127 probably doesn't work because you need to download and import it from thrustcurve.com). I could easily add a couple ounces of weight to the NC to keep my stability well over 1 throughout the flight without affecting the altitude at all, but my speed would drop to the M2.85 or so, and I'd really love to brush up against M3 :)

With LDRS up in Potter getting close enough to start planning for, I've been thinking about what the next iteration of this rocket is going to be.

I've always wanted to fly a loki J1000, and with the release of the thrust curve of the new Loki 38/1200 K1127 a while ago, of course I had to have some fun in openrocket with it! What I discovered is that if I replaced my heavy filament wound NC with one of the new polycarbonate NC's that RW sells (https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=748), I would be able to hit 21,000' and mach 3.00 with the K1127 :cool:

Now, mach 3.00 is a big change from the I540 flight in terms of speed and altitude. If it burns normally, then it shouldn't pull significantly more G's than the I540 flight since it burned so much faster than the published thrust curve (it probably hit around 110-115 g's, and the K1127 is predicted at 124 g's). I'm not really worried about the altitude either; I have access to a very nice 3-D printer at my highschool, and I plan on printing an all in one electronics mount and unique dual deployment system so that it won't drift too far from 20k+.

What would worry me about the flight would be the speed. I am unsure if I need to add t-2-t CF layups to strengthen the fins. They are already extremely stiff at 3/32'' thick with a large percentage of the fibers being unidirectional CF perpendicular to the airframe. Also, I'd at a minimum coat the fin leading edges in black proline epoxy to protect them from delamination. Additionally, do you guys think the RW polycarbonate NC would be able to handle the stress/heat of the flight? I'm sure a FWFG NC can, but if I can save weight with the polycarbonate NC I will.

Lastly, though I don't want to start another huge stability argument :lol:, I was very surprised at the CP shift openrocket calculates for this flight. Using the component analysis which ignores the CG change during motor burn, the CP @ M=0.3 is ~3.5, M=1.0 ~4.1, M=2.0 ~1.5, and then M=3.00 its -0.6. Thats almost 5 calibers of CP shift from M1 to M3! :shock: Is this really realistic?

View attachment 254672

I will be testing a CTI 38mm cone to over mach 2 next Saturday, isn't mach 3 but it will give me an idea of what they can handle. I will be posting a thread after the flight.

Thanks Nate! I have the numbers without the CG shift accounted for just to show how much the CP moves, which is what I was questioning. With the K1127 in flight it drops to ~0.5, which is too low a margin if it's truly accurate. (FYI the K1127 probably doesn't work because you need to download and import it from thrustcurve.com). I could easily add a couple ounces of weight to the NC to keep my stability well over 1 throughout the flight without affecting the altitude at all, but my speed would drop to the M2.85 or so, and I'd really love to brush up against M3 :)

The key to maximizing velocity is choosing the appropriate fin size and otherwise minimizing mass. You can get away with chunkier fins if you are not aiming for altitude.

The key to maximizing velocity is choosing the appropriate fin size and otherwise minimizing mass. You can get away with chunkier fins if you are not aiming for altitude.

Yeah, it's just that I would prefer if possible to use the current fincan as it's quite nice and already tested to M2. Plus, since my altimeters sensor maxes out at 105 G's, realistically I'm not going to get an accurate verification of the achieved top speed since it will easily surpass that limit, so I wouldn't even know if I actually got M3.0 or not. I think I will just build it and then see where my CG ends up, and if I need to add an ounce or two of weight and drop the predicted speed to M2.9 then that's alright, that's still crazy fast for 38mm.

I will be testing a CTI 38mm cone to over mach 2 next Saturday, isn't mach 3 but it will give me an idea of what they can handle. I will be posting a thread after the flight.

That's awesome! I very much look forward to seeing the thread/flight! Take pictures/video please! :grin:

I would very much like to see those results as I'm building a rocket (potentially with one of those) that will hit M1.85.

Ordered a Loki 38/1200 case over the weekend :grin: :drool: Also got a 38mm CTI polycarbonate nose cone from RW - its quite thick walled, yet only weighs 70g, and is rated to ~300 F (295F Tg), so I'm feeling confident that it will suffice. Very pointy too!

Once the casing arrives I can use it as a mandrel for making some CF tubes - I'm thinking of using this, Soller Composites unidirectional CF sleeving. I'll probably experiment with a couple different combinations, but I think 1 layer of the 0.03'' Uni plus 2 layers of 0.011'' biaxial CF sleeving for ~0.055'' wall thickness should be very, very stiff but still quite light.

With a couple more parts to weigh, I updated my sim file and it now looks like the worse case scenario (electronics and recovery end up being lighter than I expect, pretty unlikely) stability drops to ~0.5 calibers @ peak speed, realistic scenario it drops to a minimum of ~1 cal, and if I'm 1-2 oz overweight it stays above 1.25-1.5 calibers.

Wow Coleman,,,,,,
That is incredible..........
And you already hold the record for the fastest flight ever that i didn't see while I was staring right at it........lol...lol...

Teddy

Still waiting for parts to arrive, but I thought I would post a little update anyway:

Photo Apr 02, 6 10 33 PM.jpg Photo Apr 03, 2 01 36 PM.jpg Photo Apr 03, 2 06 24 PM.jpg Photo Apr 03, 2 04 17 PM.jpg

Small parts include 4-40 small-pattern nuts, 4-40 set screws, featherweight magnetic switches, some 1s Li-Po's, CTI Polycarbonate NC (weighs only 70g!).

Also shown is my order from Soller Composites. Again I must commend them for their shipping and packing - not only are each and every item sealed with many wraps of plastic wrap and cushioned inside the package, but the small shipping box it came in was encased in packing tape to the point where I'm pretty sure it was 100% waterproof :lol:

Once my Loki 38/1200 case arrives, I can use it as my mandrel and start making some tubes. First one will be 7'' long with an inside layer of UNI sleeve and an exterior 2'' lightweight biaxial sleeve.

Finally, I was able to 3-D print in ABS my preliminary design for my electronics mount. Three 4-40 nuts will be glued radially around the mount, and will accept the set screw which will hold the mount in place. Also built in is holes for a featherweight screw switch, the AIM XTRA, and charge wires.

For fun I also printed out a quick little tailcone, I probably won't end up using it as it hurts my stability, but its cool nonetheless :grin:

The 1/4'' kevlar is a bit bulky, I think I'm going to go with 1/8'' kevlar instead to save some volume.

Let's see some more views of that electronics mount...

Back