Digital weight scale recomendation ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IcyMind

Reaction score
Hi fellow flyers.

As i get more involved in rocketry and rocket simulator the needs of buy more stuff keeps growing.

Quesiton for all of you guys what electronic digital weight is good for rocket building ?

Thanks

You can get a digital scale inexpensivley from Harbor Freight Tools, they have several to choose from plus they have the 20% discount coupons.

Hi fellow flyers.

As i get more involved in rocketry and rocket simulator the needs of buy more stuff keeps growing.

Quesiton for all of you guys what electronic digital weight is good for rocket building ?

Thanks
You will wind up with a couple of different ones: One small scale to weigh ejection charges and components and one to measure larger masses like propellant mixes and all up birds for flight weight. The difference will be range and resolution. A small scale will handle individual components of a LPR bird and most adhesive mixes-most all small digital scales (often called gold or jewelry scales) are under 15 bucks.

You will wind up with a couple of different ones: One small scale to weigh ejection charges and components and one to measure larger masses like propellant mixes and all up birds for flight weight. The difference will be range and resolution. A small scale will handle individual components of a LPR bird and most adhesive mixes-most all small digital scales (often called gold or jewelry scales) are under 15 bucks.

Yes ..I use the wifes food scale for stuff up to 5lbs..on some rockets will weigh nose cone , payload , and main body separately.

Have been working the $10 Harbor Freight 'tweeker' digital scale for epoxy and weighing smaller components like the fins I built up with fiberglass for the mega der purple max..77g each.

In the digital scales I look for a 'tenth' place in the display. Most will switch between pounds, oz, and grams. The tenth helps with lbs and oz but even with grams I used it when doing micro batches of Proline 4500 with the 5.5 to 1 mix ratio.

The new thing I did with the tweeker scale is weigh the fiberglass I am using for reinforcement ..then I mix that amount (or a bit more) in epoxy . It is always on the bench and is small enough to pack into the range box .

Kenny

I was literally just thinking to ask this question. Thanks for the thread... What kind of scale do you use for large (completed rockets, etc)? Small digital scales at Walmart are good enough for small scale?

Last edited:

Agree with Fyrwrxz;
Depending on your use and accuracy needed You'll almost certainly end up with at least Two different Digital electronic scales.
Over time I've come to Love the very inexpensive 500g digital purchased at Harbor Freight. This scale is under 10bucks and is as accurate and stable as much higher Priced lower mass digitals I've purchased in the past. You will need to purchase a good (Certified 100g weight) as all the smaller digitals need calibration before first use and at least annually. the Weight can be purchased from McMaster-Carr or other industrial supply places.

for larger birds you'll also want a good kitchen gram/pound Scale. Since I don't fly anything over 3.3lbs a Sunbeam 2000g (4.41lb) scale works great. For heavier HPR stuff you'll have to do some searching and price comparing.

Cen-Tech Pocket 500g Scale-c-sm_2 pic_01-07-07.JPG

Percision Brass set & ind. ST-Stl Certified wts_07-07-12.JPG

I just replaced my old My weigh i2600 with a newer version.
I bought it through an e-bay seller " Old Will knot" is what you want to search for.

The old one, became erratic. The new one has auto calibration.
That means: you don't need those calibration weights ( even though I have them for the old one).
I also have a 15 lb max scale for larger items.

You definitely want it to measure in 0.1 gram range.
It comes in handy when mixing foam. epoxy, propellant curatives. etc....

JD

I have a half dozen or so scales, including the following:

American Weigh 100g x 0.01g Digital (came with calibration weight)

My Weigh Triton T2 550g x 0.1g Digital (came with calibration weight)

SF-400A 2.7" LED Digital Kitchen Scale (1 gram resolution, 5,000 gram capacity)

Ultraship 55 Lb Digital

Ultraship 75 Lb Digital

The Ultraship's have a detachable control panel tethered with a coiled cord so you can weigh objects that hang over the platform. They also have a shipping tube cradle attachment that allows you to lay a rocket on the platform and not have it roll off. The scale I use the most is the SF-400A because the capacity is adequate for most of my rockets and the 1 gram resolution is fine for running sims.

You can get most digital scales for $10-$20 (and that often includes shipping).

Latest posts

Back