Tracking Smoke @ Deployment For Recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your Level1
If you get a chance, can you take some pictures of how you set up your smoke tracers.
It looked like it worked great. Did you experience any problems before or after?

Using pliers and being outside I remove the supplied friction start visco. Just clamp tight on the visco and pull it out. Do this away from you incase and because it'll stain.

I use 3 small size bits of visco, 1'' long. Insert your ematch all the way and use the visco also all the way down to wedge. I take a small bit of tissue/bog roll and wedge/pack that in.

Masking tape over the top and a small bit on the side to hold the wire.

The match I use flame up plenty, the visco is there as added extra to make sure. The tissue keeps it all in place and the masking tape it extra.

I've just flown my L1 creation on an I540WT. I used 3 of these smoke grenades this time all in red.

Cable tied them together across 3 section, top, middle and bottom. Bit of electrical tape as well.

I used 3'' of visco x3 with the same setup as above, 1 ematch with it all taped together.

On this flight to push my skills more I used my alt for deployment as well. This was to prevent smoking it out inside by using too long of a delay on the motor.

See the video for the result! Watch the rocket appear in recovery

[video=youtube;88Zt3RN9MLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Zt3RN9MLg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This time I used a longer tether on the smoke and moved the payload. Nothing got colored or cooked. It did get tangled. I've had an idea and will get a new kit that has something already present I will expand on. Stay tunned

Last edited:
Back