A quick post flight and, many thank-yous! (No pictures...yet.)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
People...Why else would someone put in a long week at work, stuff a Camaro to the gills and, make like a ghost down the highway for 11 hours to chance a one day/one shot flight on a holiday weekend?

Its all about the People...I've really grown to love Airfest over the last four years and, even though the first attempt didn't work out so well...I've always managed to make the time to put it on the calender.

So many great People, that even though the project i really wanted to fly still sits in the corner collecting dust. I found some time to dust off my "Old Reliable" Madcow Frenzy Massive and, give it a new shiny look. With Mark Hayes help she really stood out!

For anyone who was wondering, the Frenzy flight on the Cessaroni O-3400 Sunday produced these results: The Stratologger showed 23,941' the Marsa showed 23,934' with a peak speed of 2000 feet per second (mach 1.79), pulling 16.43 G's and, a quicker engine burn of 5.1 seconds on a tested/certified burn of 6.2 seconds. No damage post flight except for a massive blistering of the wrap around the fin leading edges and, root area. The onboard camera idea was not able to happen due to a brief oversight on my part with the attachment point so i will have to fix that for latter.

With my good friend/adopted son Manny Ballestero we were able to recover it quickly and, get back to cool down after the flight. Latter that night we headed out to the Texas Roadhouse next to the Best Western and, celebrated the days events...In typical Manny form he couldn't stop talking about the effects of the heat on the flight and, all i wanted was to check out the waitresses! :D When your more concerned with the food than the pretty ladies your getting too old...;) I had to leave early so i wished Manny a safe trip home and, left him in charge of the room on Monday morning. Twelve hours latter, including a stop at Rosatti's Pizza in Champaign Illinois :)pFor TWO deep dish Chicago Style Pizza's:p) i made it home in one piece!

Of course many thank-yous to Manny for all his help! My how you've grown....:eek:

Some people who stood out.-

To the members of the Kloudbusters who set up and, ran one of the best events i've attended this year, your dedication and, sacrifice on a holiday weekend to keep things running so well in that unforgiving heat was greatly noticed. The people of Kansas are tough as dirt and, kind and, gracious in their ways!

To Chuck "Speedy" Haskin, thank-you for the rousing intro and, button push on the flight!

To Tim "The Wildman" Lehr, thank-you for the unlimited supply of cold waters and, cool motorhome! My *older* raised in Vis-con-sin and, North Dakota self will never adapt to THAT kind of heat...ughhhhh.....

Great too meet.-

Wayco and, Sharon!:eek: What a great couple, who i really enjoyed talking to! Next year i WILL try to get an extra day off at work and, i will bring a spoon...more like a SHOVEL if that awesome green pepper chili shows up again!;)
Braden (Upscaler) Great too finally meet you and, i wish you well in your studies in Witchita...You'll make a great engineer! See you at MWP12...:D
Great to run into Dan Wellington, Lanie Cross and, SO many people that maybe i didn't catch your names but, enjoyed meeting and, talking to you all!

Folks, i may not be the brightest bulb on the Chandelier of life and, as i've gotten older i have learned that time is the one thing i really cannot afford/buy...but, its moments/days like the one(s) past that make all the effort put into it...worth coming back and, i thank-you for all the great memories and, friendships!

I hope you all arrive home safely and, look forward to seeing you again in a field, on a playa...down the road of life! Take care!:D

Last edited:
Gus, you said a mouthful, as usual! It was great to finally meet you and put a face to all your colorful posts. The face I had in my head was nothing like the real Gus. (Meant that in a good way:wink:) Hope to see you again next year.

Awesome flight Gus! :clap:

IMG_1989.jpg

In retrospect we maybe should have kept driving down 80th street a bit further instead of turning off on Dixon and walking for almost two miles, but hindsight is always 20/20. Kloudbusters really put on an awesome launch and I'm already planning my next Argonia trip.

Manny

Awesome flight Gus! :clap:

View attachment 183127

In retrospect we maybe should have kept driving down 80th street a bit further instead of turning off on Dixon and walking for almost two miles, but hindsight is always 20/20. Kloudbusters really put on an awesome launch and I'm already planning my next Argonia trip.

Manny

Cute; Gus and his Madcow Mistress! Rockin' a split fin 5" to 24k': wow! Nice motor! Great flight; can't wait to see pics.

Manny my friend, what did you shred, or CATO, or propel to 40k'+?

I need to get back to the rocket pasture soon!!!!!

-Eric-

Manny my friend, what did you shred, or CATO, or propel to 40k'+?

I need to get back to the rocket pasture soon!!!!!

-Eric-

Nada, I brought my Ultimate to fly on a Clifton sparky, but I was too tired/heat struck and too busy helping other people that I didn't feel like getting her ready. I'll fly it at Midwest Power. You really need to come out for AIRfest next year Eric, it seems like the whole rest of the quad cities crew is planning to do so.

Gus, you said a mouthful, as usual! It was great to finally meet you and put a face to all your colorful posts. The face I had in my head was nothing like the real Gus. (Meant that in a good way:wink:) Hope to see you again next year.

Thank-you Bill, likewise a pleasure to meet and, talk briefly with you! ;) You definitely are too be commended for your efforts to raise money for your ailing sister in law. Cancer can affect anyone at anytime and, its a horrible thing to deal with...I wish her all the positive energy in the world and, hope to hear that she turns for the better in the future! :wave:

You can blame the "Funny" on my mothers side....Shhhhh.....she sometimes monitors this forum...:eek:

*Ring* *Ring*...

Hi Mom! :D
Oh...You were reading my post about Manny on the fourm huh? :rolleyes:
I should what? Appologize....:eek: NO! If you saw what he did you'd be rolling laughing too! :lol:
What? Send him a card and, tell him your sorry:confused: WHAT! He nearly blew up half of Illinois! :surprised:
Mom...MOM! I'm knocking on 50 i can say anything i like!:cry: Stop the guilt trip thingy!:facepalm:
Sauerkraut? Your making Sauerkraut?
What time do you want me there....I'm like already heading to the car....save me a spot at the table!:p

I blame it on my mothers side....Bless her heart!:eek:

Cute; Gus and his Madcow Mistress! Rockin' a split fin 5" to 24k': wow! Nice motor! Great flight; can't wait to see pics.-Eric-

Thanks Eric! As far as i know, this may be the only picture taken...If anyone has any pictures or video that they would like to post it would be humbly appreciated. I can tell you though that the critter went "Right down Broadway with all candles lit". (An old drag racing term...) in that persistent Kansas wind!
Made me darn proud of it!:D
Thanks again Manny for taking the time to snap a farewell shot before the big Thump!
HEY ERIC! We all know "Speedy" pushed the button on that one but, do you want to know my favorite "Speedy" moment AND, maybe you remember this one too?

*Going back in the Way Back Machine Mr. Peabody.....*:grin:

Midwest Power? Many years years back....walking north on County Rd. 1950 towards the LCO area....Estes Rack ten feet in front of the LCO table...

DJ Chuck Haskin ROCKING the mic, pushing the buttons, killing us all with his insightful unflappable humor...;)

"Ok....folks...were going out to the Estes rack for a flight by *********:yawn: on an Estes *******:yawn: flying on an "A"****.:yawn: Here we go in....3-2-1...":yawn:

wwwwwhoshhhhhhhWHOOOOOOSH!"HOLY CR*P!"WHoooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......(it was a long burn A motor...)

I have never before or since seen an Estes rocket do so many loop de loops in front of someones face as that day.:surprised:

I think they heard the PA all the way down in Princeton when he not only yelled that along with the keyed up sound of the extremely long burn motor echoing around the field!

Have you ever noticed since that Chuck ONLY launches stuff from "Far Away" and, gets real nervous when any gets within 50' of him with an Estes rocket?

P.S. I honor 99.9% of the Friendship requests thrown my way when people do so...so if you want to associate yourself with me in any way (NOT that i'm anyone special....) i'm sure i will be very happy to be your goofy friend!

Take care everyone!:D

Hey Gus - as always, great to see you again! Unfortunately our timing didn't work out well for us to chat much, but I got a phone call with a flight report from your young compatriot (Manny).

-Kevin

Manny-

I plan to make the trek out there next for Airfest, I haven't been to Argonia since LDRS in 1999, so it's about time to get back there!! See ya at MWP12!!

Preston

Nada, I brought my Ultimate to fly on a Clifton sparky, but I was too tired/heat struck and too busy helping other people that I didn't feel like getting her ready. I'll fly it at Midwest Power. You really need to come out for AIRfest next year Eric, it seems like the whole rest of the quad cities crew is planning to do so.

Gus-

Congrats on the flight and glad to hear it all came back! Still planning on making it to the Bong at the end of the month? Offer still stands for crashing at my homestead!

Preston

People...Why else would someone put in a long week at work, stuff a Camaro to the gills and, make like a ghost down the highway for 11 hours to chance a one day/one shot flight on a holiday weekend?

Its all about the People...I've really grown to love Airfest over the last four years and, even though the first attempt didn't work out so well...I've always managed to make the time to put it on the calender.

So many great People, that even though the project i really wanted to fly still sits in the corner collecting dust. I found some time to dust off my "Old Reliable" Madcow Frenzy Massive and, give it a new shiny look. With Mark Hayes help she really stood out!

For anyone who was wondering, the Frenzy flight on the Cessaroni O-3400 Sunday produced these results: The Stratologger showed 23,941' the Marsa showed 23,934' with a peak speed of 2000 feet per second (mach 1.79), pulling 16.43 G's and, a quicker engine burn of 5.1 seconds on a tested/certified burn of 6.2 seconds. No damage post flight except for a massive blistering of the wrap around the fin leading edges and, root area. The onboard camera idea was not able to happen due to a brief oversight on my part with the attachment point so i will have to fix that for latter.

With my good friend/adopted son Manny Ballestero we were able to recover it quickly and, get back to cool down after the flight. Latter that night we headed out to the Texas Roadhouse next to the Best Western and, celebrated the days events...In typical Manny form he couldn't stop talking about the effects of the heat on the flight and, all i wanted was to check out the waitresses! :D When your more concerned with the food than the pretty ladies your getting too old...;) I had to leave early so i wished Manny a safe trip home and, left him in charge of the room on Monday morning. Twelve hours latter, including a stop at Rosatti's Pizza in Champaign Illinois :)pFor TWO deep dish Chicago Style Pizza's:p) i made it home in one piece!

Of course many thank-yous to Manny for all his help! My how you've grown....:eek:

Some people who stood out.-

To the members of the Kloudbusters who set up and, ran one of the best events i've attended this year, your dedication and, sacrifice on a holiday weekend to keep things running so well in that unforgiving heat was greatly noticed. The people of Kansas are tough as dirt and, kind and, gracious in their ways!

To Chuck "Speedy" Haskin, thank-you for the rousing intro and, button push on the flight!

To Tim "The Wildman" Lehr, thank-you for the unlimited supply of cold waters and, cool motorhome! My *older* raised in Vis-con-sin and, North Dakota self will never adapt to THAT kind of heat...ughhhhh.....

Great too meet.-

Wayco and, Sharon!:eek: What a great couple, who i really enjoyed talking to! Next year i WILL try to get an extra day off at work and, i will bring a spoon...more like a SHOVEL if that awesome green pepper chili shows up again!;)
Braden (Upscaler) Great too finally meet you and, i wish you well in your studies in Witchita...You'll make a great engineer! See you at MWP12...:D
Great to run into Dan Wellington, Lanie Cross and, SO many people that maybe i didn't catch your names but, enjoyed meeting and, talking to you all!

Folks, i may not be the brightest bulb on the Chandelier of life and, as i've gotten older i have learned that time is the one thing i really cannot afford/buy...but, its moments/days like the one(s) past that make all the effort put into it...worth coming back and, i thank-you for all the great memories and, friendships!

I hope you all arrive home safely and, look forward to seeing you again in a field, on a playa...down the road of life! Take care!:D

Hey Gus - as always, great to see you again! Unfortunately our timing didn't work out well for us to chat much, but I got a phone call with a flight report from your young compatriot (Manny).

-Kevin

Shhhhh.....Next year bring more shrink wrap...

His little nuclear batteries can only last so long...Sometime or another he will be engaged in:

1. Helping someone prep something.
2. Flying something.
3. Recovering something.
4. Helping someone else recover something.
5. Buying stuff to replace something he flew.
6. Foraging/Finding/SCARF'ing food.
7. Using the Porta-Pot.
8. Talking to Someone about what he flew, they flew or what he ate.
9. Partaking in evening festivities that "Slow him down somewhat...."
10. Sleeping off said activities.

That's ALOT of *Ings*. Then the Shrink-Wrap comes out...:dark:

Gus-

Congrats on the flight and glad to hear it all came back! Still planning on making it to the Bong at the end of the month? Offer still stands for crashing at my homestead!

Preston

Thank-you Preston!:D Yes, planning to be there Saturday and, Sunday...arriving early on Sat. morning.
The offer to check out and, stay at the Nobile homestead on Sat. night is greatly appreciated and, will be honored!:D

I'm actually a pretty quiet person away from the field. I promise to behave and, only smoke and, pee outside.
(Pick a neighbor you don't like!)

Where's Sather? Anyone seen the Sather? I figured i could crash his *Rocket Dungeon* if not for a few hours on the way home Sunday....He's been trying to get me to slide through for quite some time.

I'll be in the area...;)

Shhhhh.....Next year bring more shrink wrap...

His little nuclear batteries can only last so long...Sometime or another he will be engaged in:

1. Helping someone prep something.
2. Flying something.
3. Recovering something.
4. Helping someone else recover something.
5. Buying stuff to replace something he flew.
6. Foraging/Finding/SCARF'ing food.
7. Using the Porta-Pot.
8. Talking to Someone about what he flew, they flew or what he ate.
9. Partaking in evening festivities that "Slow him down somewhat...."
10. Sleeping off said activities.

That's ALOT of *Ings*. Then the Shrink-Wrap comes out...:dark:

I'm in! :handshake:

Ya know, it is farm country... I'm sure there's a rodeo pro we could get have chase him down and get him with a lasso. Then, we just shrink wrap Manny. :cool2:

-Kevin

I'm in! :handshake: Then, we just shrink wrap Manny. :cool2:

-Kevin

Owww! :surprised: THAT could be painful and, sweaty...Do not want too hurt the "Manny Critter"...just tease him.

But, but....two guys (or more) with shrink wrap rolls (maybe different colors) going in opposite directions, throwing in the occasional *twist* i showed you (which strengthens it) and, then maybe up and, over the top of the "Manny Mobile" may produce the effect you are so righteously looking for.

We have much time to plan.:lol:

P.S. Give Deb a hug for me, i always appreciate the fact that she puts a little personal message in with my membership renewal paperwork when i get it back every year! I was going to do that at LDRS but, i was driving my car "Shoeless" due to "Swamp encounter" and, some of us have very...very sensitive feet and, i wasn't getting out of my car for anyone.

Last edited:
Owww! :surprised: THAT could be painful and, sweaty...Do not want too hurt the "Manny Critter"...just tease him.

Oh, agreed! While we may periodically work to put the fear of rocketeers in him, we don't want to inflict harm.

But, but....two guys (or more) with shrink wrap rolls (maybe different colors) going in opposite directions, throwing in the occasional *twist* i showed you (which strengthens it) and, then maybe up and, over the top of the "Manny Mobile" may produce the effect you are so righteously looking for.

We have much time to plan.:lol:

I think so! We'll come prepared next year. :)

P.S. Give Deb a hug for me, i always appreciate the fact that she puts a little personal message in with my membership renewal paperwork when i get it back every year! I was going to do that at LDRS but, i was driving my car "Shoeless" due to "Swamp encounter" and, some of us have very...very sensitive feet and, i wasn't getting out of my car for anyone.

Will do! We know you're a delicate flower, and don't want you hurting your tootsies. :)

-Kevin

Thanks Eric! As far as i know, this may be the only picture taken...If anyone has any pictures or video that they would like to post it would be humbly appreciated. I can tell you though that the critter went "Right down Broadway with all candles lit". (An old drag racing term...) in that persistent Kansas wind!
Made me darn proud of it!:D
Thanks again Manny for taking the time to snap a farewell shot before the big Thump!
HEY ERIC! We all know "Speedy" pushed the button on that one but, do you want to know my favorite "Speedy" moment AND, maybe you remember this one too?

*Going back in the Way Back Machine Mr. Peabody.....*:grin:

Midwest Power? Many years years back....walking north on County Rd. 1950 towards the LCO area....Estes Rack ten feet in front of the LCO table...

DJ Chuck Haskin ROCKING the mic, pushing the buttons, killing us all with his insightful unflappable humor...;)

"Ok....folks...were going out to the Estes rack for a flight by *********:yawn: on an Estes *******:yawn: flying on an "A"****.:yawn: Here we go in....3-2-1...":yawn:

wwwwwhoshhhhhhhWHOOOOOOSH!"HOLY CR*P!"WHoooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......(it was a long burn A motor...)

I have never before or since seen an Estes rocket do so many loop de loops in front of someones face as that day.:surprised:

I think they heard the PA all the way down in Princeton when he not only yelled that along with the keyed up sound of the extremely long burn motor echoing around the field!

Have you ever noticed since that Chuck ONLY launches stuff from "Far Away" and, gets real nervous when any gets within 50' of him with an Estes rocket?

It's a good thing that you remember that because I sure don't LOL! Great flight BTW; I hope I gave it an adequate send off :)

I didn't get a pic of "Chicago Fire" assembled, but I did get a shot of all the stuff you took out of the Camaro back seat.

020.jpg

019.jpg

That's one of the nicest wrap jobs I have ever seen, and I know from experience that getting it right on the N/C is tricky.
Sharon and I both enjoyed meeting you, and I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye before you left.
Considering all the rave reviews we got on the Javalina green chili stew, I'm pretty sure it will be a regular addition to the spread Tim and Jackie put on.
I also caught some of the action when Manny showed up as Kevin and Gus were wrapping his Jeep up, thinking he was inside....

013.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

Here's hoping we will have more time to chat at next years Airfest.:cheers:

Sorry, i'm a little late on this one Wayne but, thank-you for the pictures/memories! We will do it again next year!:)

Back