For those with Bikes (Pedal Kind)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you keep track when you go for a bike ride?

• GPS (Garmin Edge or eq)

• Smartphone - Map My Ride

• Smartphone - Strava

• None of the above, I just enjoy pedaling.

Results are only viewable after voting.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
So many of us have all kinds of electronic doo-hickeys they need to fly their rockets.

I also seem to feel the need to strap darn near every thingamabob onto my handlebars before setting out for a ride. If you ride for fun, fitness, or necessity - do you keep track of data and if so, how?

Last edited:
When I was racing full time I rode 38 hours a week with a HRM and basic cyclometer...3 k miles a month on average...

Al,

I used to have a pile of junk on my handlebar - a cyclocomputer, a mount for my Polar watch and aerobars with a hydration system. WAY too much stuff.

Historically, I would just fire up Strava on the smartphone and forget it. I ALWAYS have my phone with me while riding these days - it seems riskier out on the roads as of late and a good preventative measure in case something terrible happens (I also ALWAYS wear my RoadID on my ankle - if you do not have one it is the second most important thing behind a helmet! Shameless plug for them as they have a fantastic product at affordable prices. You never know when you might need it to inform EMT on your behalf! www.roadid.com ). The only drawback to smartphone / Strava is that I don't have a BT HRM so there is no HR data to review.

That said, also have been known to use my Garmin 910XT watch for cycling. What I like is that it doesn't rely on my phone (with an iPhone battery life is always a concern) and it has a common interface that I use for running and swimming. I PRIMARILY use the 910 for running as I don't always bring the smartphone on a run unless I'm going more than 3 or 4 miles. Now that Garmin express can auto-transfer to Strava, I have been using the watch more often than the phone just because that is what it was made for and I can use the HR monitor when I feel like it.

The Garmin edge head units are very nice. If I had a power setup I'd consider getting a head unit since they are easier to view power data in real-time. To be honest though, I don't really look at my computer's data while riding. I don't care how fast I am going at any particular moment, I more or less know how far I've gone and how far i have to go. I just like having the data after the fact.

Doubtful this helps buy happy to give my thoughts on the matter.

I had to go with none of the above. Why you ask. Well it is when my tank runs out and I have to go to reserve and refill the tank. I get about 60 miles to a half gallon.

IMG_20131107_165134_564.jpg

Jason

Yeah, RoadID is the one thing besides a brain-bucket I require. Then come gloves. I use Map My Ride and a Garmin 800 with HRM. The only thing about he smartphone is that running GPS kills the battery way faster than I like. So I have a sled the phone mounts on that has a spare battery and have a 10,000mAH aux battery. It's important for me as a short ride is 25 miles and I've done two at 90+ in the past month.

I am just too cheap to buy a power tap. I don't think my performance will ever be tuned to the point where the $1500 investment is worth it.

Used to have a computer on the bars with wireless HR. Used an altimeter watch to log vert. Now just ride. If interested in seeing how far the distance was, use google map to find it.

Ride a K2 mountain bike for wilderness rides, and an el-cheapo big box special 2014 Schwinn Varisty for town (small 700cc tires).

Mike

I am just too cheap to buy a power tap. I don't think my performance will ever be tuned to the point where the $1500 investment is worth it.

Amen to that! I have a computrainer for those long winter months which does power (that was a purchase BEFORE we had a kid!) but I likely won't bother with a powertap or any other powermeter until they get down to $250 or so. Even then I'd rather have a nice set or 2 of cycling bibs before I have a powermeter. I will say that I did mount a speed/cadence sensor on my bike just for the metrics.

The Polar stuff is just crap. It measures chain stretch as a surrogate for power....not at all accurate not to mention its a true PIA to set up.
Had a Power Tap Pro, blew it up climbing Bolton notch - found out they are NOT sealed, so one wet day and you're on the clock for shredding the bearings. Got to 1500 watts before it locked solid.
My Mevici (Serrotta) has the FSA Carbon FSA cranks - wicked expensive for those paying retail, but it's really power, right at the crank, so you don't even have to worry about power lost thru the drive train. Sealed up nicely, and has withstood 2 trips to france including the Raid de les Alpes. This winter I need to send it for a new battery as it's not staying charged for long.

I had to go with none of the above. Why you ask. Well it is when my tank runs out and I have to go to reserve and refill the tank. I get about 60 miles to a half gallon.
I'll bite- what the heck is that? Commercial or homemade?

I'll bite- what the heck is that? Commercial or homemade?

Good old china girl motor. Get them off eBay. They are made for bikes. I have about 500 miles on that motor believe it or not in one year and it still runs good. I've had it up to 42mph but not for long it gets scary at that speed.

I have a bunch of junk on my bars: A Campagnolo ErgoBrain10, RFLKT+, Garmin VIRB Elite, and a Light & Motion Urban 800. In my jersey pocket I carry my iPhone 5 and run the Wahoo Fitness app. I use an ANT+ heartrate monitor and ANT+ Speed/Cadence sensor that works with both the Wahoo Fitness and VIRB Elite. And with all this stuff on my bars I typically only look at the cadence on the ErgoBrain and occasionally heart rate on the RFLKT+, the rest is downloaded to the computer and supplied to my cardiologist when he asks for workout info.

I don't understand the concern on iPhone battery life. I left for a 2 hour ride today with the battery in my iPhone at 48%, at the end of the ride 2 1/2 hours later (got a flat and couldn't get the dam wire that caused the puncture out of the tire, ended up putting a Park self-adhesive patch on the tire to cover it up.) it was at 40%. More than acceptable battery usage in my book. I had a Wahoo Key in the phone, and both WiFi and Bluetooth running the whole time.

Just got a Sigma Rox 10 GPS a few months ago and love it. It is loads cheaper than Garmin, and I feel it is actually superior in terms of battery life, price and ease of use. It's also fairly quick and gets a GPS lock in 30 seconds or so (quicker than I have seen Garmin units). It does not have turn by turn directions or a color screen, but I did not want those anyway. Sitting atop my new 2014 Pinarello Rokh, it's a perfect bike computer for me. And, the Sigma software that downloads it is easy, quick, and can easily upload to Strava for the best of both worlds.

Only if it is straw, hangs up front, has a nice spray of dried flowers, and matching tassels on the bar ends.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I don't understand the concern on iPhone battery life. I left for a 2 hour ride today with the battery in my iPhone at 48%, at the end of the ride 2 1/2 hours later (got a flat and couldn't get the dam wire that caused the puncture out of the tire, ended up putting a Park self-adhesive patch on the tire to cover it up.) it was at 40%. More than acceptable battery usage in my book. I had a Wahoo Key in the phone, and both WiFi and Bluetooth running the whole time.

It seems mine is good for about 2 -3 hours max. And it inevitably dies 2 miles before the end of the freaking ride. I'm using an iPhone 5 and try to manage the application load to a minimum.

Spandexers

Real men wear tight shorts

(even if the overall effect is somewhat apalling)

I am a proud MAMIL*

*Middle Aged Man In Lycra

Last edited:
Garmin Edge 500 and Rubitrack software. I only have the garmin on my handlebars. Though sometimes a light if I'm riding at dusk.

No need to mount a zillion things. I like the KISS principle for cycling.

I use a simple cyclecomputer, and occaisionally a garmin GPS with HR monitor. I ride a lot of singletrack mountain bike, and the GPS "cheats" you out of a lot of miles on curvy courses. (15% on average) It's interesting to look at the GPS track overlaid on the MTB course. the GPS lays straight lines that cut each corner. This isn't too big of a deal on the road, but on singletrack it cuts out a lot.
Unfortunately, high power LED lights interfere with wireless cyclecomputers, so night riding tends to be without data.

when I was a cat 4 wannabe racer I got my first time trial bike. Had a Polar xtrainer plus on it. My coach took electrical tape and covered everything but heart rate and cadence. He said, shift down if cadence less then 75, up if heart rate less then 90% AT. As I progressed I changed bikes to better stuff, sponsored stuff (thanks to Steve's Multisport, Mercedes Motor Credit and later Softride). Kept the Xtrainer mounted on what ever. Never moved the tape.

I have a bike and occasionally take a ride. Looking at other posts, I don't think I'm a bike rider. I sometimes actually go far enough to need to take my house key. As to the poll, can't choose any option, I don't even like pedaling.

Cycling is my primary sport/hobby/obsession, both road and mountain biking. I have a Garmin Edge 800 and all bikes have a Garmin speed/cadence sensor. Once home I upload to various websites such as Strava and Endomondo.

Cyclo-computer with the usual features and cadence. Watts, energy, power-output, what? I do what I have to, to get where I'm going. I generally know where I am and if I don't—I'll find out soon enough. It's all good. Gadgets are fun to mess with. On-bike entertainment.

Nothing on the bars. Into multisport so I rely on the forerunner 310xt. Still works great so no need to upgrade. Cadence and speed sensor work on the bike along with gps for that and the run. Use garmin connect to keep a log. No problems to date.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I use a garmin edge 500 for road and mt biking. love it.

So many of us have all kinds of electronic doo-hickeys they need to fly their rockets.

I also seem to feel the need to strap darn near every thingamabob onto my handlebars before setting out for a ride. If you ride for fun, fitness, or necessity - do you keep track of data and if so, how?

Google's My Tracks.

No GPS, no smart phone, just a Cateye Micro. Bike 600-800 miles each summer, can't seem to get 1K before it gets too cold!

Oh, and a few paper maps in the trunk when trying out new (road/bike path) routes. No cycling jerseys either. This might make me a "Fred". :y:

Back