Some Pictures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got home from AirFest yesterday evening, and I'm finally going through pictures. As always, it was a great event -- extremely well run by the KLOUDBusters (you'd think they had done this a time or two) and lots of great people in attendance.

The best part?

Watching a friend go from this

IMG_3396.jpg

to this

IMG_3518.jpg

to this

IMG_3536.jpg

and finally this

IMG_3559.jpg

Congrats to Mark on getting his Level 3 on Saturday!

I think the grin is finally relaxing a bit. :)

-Kevin

Now, on to a few other flights...

Sharon? Did you know about this? I think Wayne needs some help....

IMG_3427.jpg

-Kevin

John, one of our group, built a really nice 6" X-15. For those who know John, we're not surprised -- he loves scale, and did his Level 3 on a 7.5" Saturn V

Since this was the first flight, he flew it from the 60s (M+) pads, even though it was on an L935. With all that wing surface area, we all know what can happen with stability.

Saturday was a beautiful day for flying -- one of the absolute best I've ever seen in Argonia. It was pretty much dead calm.

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

-Kevin

Very cool Kevin,,,
You got some great shots...
Processing them when you get home takes so much time...
I can't wait to see some more....
I sure do wish I went but it was so far......

Teddy

I didn't take enough pictures to justify a separate thread, so it looks like I'm hijacking yours!

I got to the field at 1:30 AM on Saturday morning, slept for about 4 hours then set up my unistrut tower in preparation for the day's festivities.

IMG_1896.jpg

There were lots of cool project flying, but one of my favorite was my buddy John Clifton's rocket he called "Purple People Eater", he actually rolled this O powered monstrosity to the pad. Too bad it suffered a motor detonation on the pad.

IMG_1897.jpg

After that, I had promised Chuck Haskin that I would play the part of "Chuck's little helper" for the day, or in this case "taller helper". He flew his 6" diameter upscale ARCAS on another one of his famous N3000 Crazy Cracker White motors. Awesome flight Chuck, and congrats on flying a successful N in Kansas, I only beat you to it by 2 months. :wink:

IMG_1906.jpg

*Beep Beep Boop Boop* *crescendoing beep* Prof pic it bro...

IMG_1904.jpg

After an awesome flight, and quick recovery it was time to head out and load Judy and Jackson Lubin's P motor rocket on my launch trailer. The thing took about 3 hours to assemble and load. I wanted to take a picture with it as it was the biggest rocket ever flown off of my trailer, until Crazy Jim had to step in and photo bomb me. I was wondering why everyone was giggling.

IMG_1944.jpg

And a very nice looking rocket and an even nicer looking family ready to push the button. Sadly, the rocket suffered a motor issue on the pad, I'll let them fill in with the rest of the details.

IMG_1948.jpg

Late that night I was recruited by Prophecy and A5tr0 An0n to prep Steve's N6000 rocket for a flight on Sunday morning. High solids, hot propellant running at very high pressure in a fiberglass motor case what could go wrong?

IMG_1976.jpg

Hmmmm, that isn't supposed to be outside of the rocket lying in the middle of a field. The rocket had a fantastic boost, but after burnout the rocket vanished and a loud anomaly could be heard.

IMG_1979.jpg

Gus showed up on Sunday morning with an O3400 to abuse the sky with. It was an awesome flight to 24k' and M1.7 with a straightforward recovery. Very nice flight Gus!

IMG_1989.jpg

This was a fantastic event and one of the more memorable/fun events I've been to. Thanks to Kloudbusters for putting on yet another awesome launch!

Manny

I didn't take enough pictures to justify a separate thread, so it looks like I'm hijacking yours!

My rates are very reasonable! :)

There were lots of cool project flying, but one of my favorite was my buddy John Clifton's rocket he called "Purple People Eater", he actually rolled this O powered monstrosity to the pad. Too bad it suffered a motor detonation on the pad.

I think the forward closure went about as high as the entire rocket was supposed to go....

After an awesome flight, and quick recovery it was time to head out and load Judy and Jackson Lubin's P motor rocket on my launch trailer. The thing took about 3 hours to assemble and load. I wanted to take a picture with it as it was the biggest rocket ever flown off of my trailer, until Crazy Jim had to step in and photo bomb me. I was wondering why everyone was giggling.

Jim missed out at LDRS, and wanted to get in on the fun!

Good to see you again, Manny! And next year, I'll come bearing gifts...again. :D

-Kevin

John, one of our group, built a really nice 6" X-15. For those who know John, we're not surprised -- he loves scale, and did his Level 3 on a 7.5" Saturn V

Since this was the first flight, he flew it from the 60s (M+) pads, even though it was on an L935. With all that wing surface area, we all know what can happen with stability.

Saturday was a beautiful day for flying -- one of the absolute best I've ever seen in Argonia. It was pretty much dead calm.

View attachment 183067

View attachment 183066

-Kevin

Kevin,
Thanks for the compliments and pictures. It was a little nerve racking for first flight of the winged bird, but went off w/o a hitch.
You were right about the weather being perfect, temp good, no wind, it was perfect X-15 flying weather, LOL
Thanks again for taking your time and taking the great pictures, much appreciated !
:handshake:

John

Hey Braden here is your cert flight. Third times a charm buddy! Sorry form the crumy camera.
[video=youtube;8LHwnPb2hEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LHwnPb2hEQ&list=UUblhadwa7btSBJj7_QfueSg[/video]

Here is another one of my successful flights. Watch it in HD
[video=youtube;gLkR2kMFSIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLkR2kMFSIk&list=UUblhadwa7btSBJj7_QfueSg[/video]
I found out why my separation was late, the ematch had come loose at liftoff, and it was so violent when it did separate that the main deployed early.

Last edited:
Anyone get a video or pics of my Gizmo Cato. It was on pad 54 at about 12:30 on Friday. Here is what it looked like right before the cato.
Airfest 2014 Video 002.jpg

And how about the BIG Gizmo that struggled off the 60's pads on Saturday and nose dived into the dirt?

I
Late that night I was recruited by Prophecy and A5tr0 An0n to prep Steve's N6000 rocket for a flight on Sunday morning. High solids, hot propellant running at very high pressure in a fiberglass motor case what could go wrong?

View attachment 183194

Did anyone snap an in-flight picture or capture video of this flight?

Anyone get a video or pics of my Gizmo Cato. It was on pad 54 at about 12:30 on Friday. Here is what it looked like right before the cato.
View attachment 183285

And how about the BIG Gizmo that struggled off the 60's pads on Saturday and nose dived into the dirt?
There are some Big Gizmo photos on the TRA Facebook page posted by Roy P.

Yes I know of one chap who took a video; hopefully he will be able to get it to us soon.

Here is my video of Steve's flight. Be sure to select 1080p HD.

[video=youtube;lV5o9YWWrHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV5o9YWWrHo[/video]

After that, I had promised Chuck Haskin that I would play the part of "Chuck's little helper" for the day, or in this case "taller helper". He flew his 6" diameter upscale ARCAS on another one of his famous N3000 Crazy Cracker White motors. Awesome flight Chuck, and congrats on flying a successful N in Kansas, I only beat you to it by 2 months. :wink:

Manny

Thanks for all the help! Here is the video you took:

[video=youtube;PrMXCG3Sxt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMXCG3Sxt4?vq=hd1080[/video]

Here is my video of Steve's flight. Be sure to select 1080p HD.

[video=youtube;lV5o9YWWrHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV5o9YWWrHo[/video]

Chuck- you're the man and it's impressive you were able to follow it on camera. On behalf of Mat and myself- thanks for making my day!

-S

Thank you for posting this and taking the time out to record the flight! You really did a great job following it... I guess it couldn't of been traveling that fast :p

JPC5_0104_FB.jpg JPC_0104_FB.jpg Stuck.jpg

[video=youtube;kB2TBIPjQVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB2TBIPjQVM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks to JPChan Photography for the Pictures and Video.

Bob; I assure you that there were parachutes in that rocket !!!

Here are a couple of picture and the video of the second rocket that the Arizona Rocketry Team did flew at AIRFest XX
This is the second one, Alice and shes ten feet tall (for those old enough -Think Jefferson Airplane)

Actually it is 10" diameter and ~10'7" tall weighing about 100 pounds and flew on Roy's Wimpy Rojo to an altitude of 3,500'

When it landed one parachute leaned up against the power line. Yes proper people with proper training and equipment pulled the chute off the line.

Again - the pictures and video are thanks to JPChan Photography.

JPC5_0101FB.jpg JPC_0158_FB.jpg

[video=youtube;QYJ8Ed5GA7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYJ8Ed5GA7w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The Arizona Rocketry Team always seem to have their most interesting flights at Air Fest. Flight after flight goes off with perfect predictability and timing at all events, but at Air Fest all bets are off. LOL
Even with chuffing the motor in the Gizmo did not seem to produce anything like the power I would expect to see on an "N". It would be interesting see what a duplicate would produce on a test stand. Due you plan to repair it to fly at Oktoberfest?

Terry - it must be the water... or the soil that causes the rocket gods to have us make a spectacle! :neener:
We're planning on re-purposing the nose cone for a future project. When we make another 16" dia nose cone, we can easily throw it on the Gizmo for another flight, since there was little to no damage to the fin-can. Roy will be doing a postmortem on the N-motor & case to get a better idea of what might have happened. It doesn't seem to the a propellant issue since Alice flew great on the M.

Oktoberfest - we'll be working finishing a separate project, which is... can we say a bit draggy? :D

Will we be seeing you out there?
--Joyce

The Arizona Rocketry Team always seem to have their most interesting flights at Air Fest. Flight after flight goes off with perfect predictability and timing at all events, but at Air Fest all bets are off. LOL
Even with chuffing the motor in the Gizmo did not seem to produce anything like the power I would expect to see on an "N". It would be interesting see what a duplicate would produce on a test stand. Due you plan to repair it to fly at Oktoberfest?

Back