Moving?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kehoes23

Reaction score
So, my wife keeps bringing up moving to Asheville North Carolina. I was born, raised and still live in NE PA. just outside of Philadelphia. I'm not sure if I want to move there, there is nothing holding me back, we will be closer to her family who live in FL. As the saying goes a happy wife is a happy life. Does anyone here on TRF live in or near Asheville? What's it like and is there work? Thanks for your input/help with this.

I used to live in Charlotte NC, but never made it to Ashville. I have heard that it is artsy, eclectic, and beautiful.

Greg

I have never lived in Asheville but have been there many times. It is a beautiful area. It is in the mountains, so you should feel pretty much at home. the winters are not as severe as you are used to but there is enough winter for you to know you are in it. I have always thought we would end up there myself but my wife decided she wants horses so we ended up in north Florida.

I worked with someone from Asheville. It's a small college town (with 10 colleges in the area) in western NC, and home of the United States National Climatic Data Center I've never been there, but I can say the Asheville twang is unique, and once you've heard it, it's easy to identify someone who grew up there.

Bob

Been there once and have a friend that moved up a few months ago. It's a really neat place.

I have lived in Detroit, 3 different towns in NC, Chicago, and I have been in central GA for the last 3 years. I have basically lived half my life in the North and half in the South.

Here is what I have learned:

People from the North have an incomplete understanding of life in the South, and vice-versa.

As long as you keep in mind that you are moving to a different "country", and refrain from comparing, you should be ok. Just as you don't expect London to be the same as Philly, don't expect it of Asheville either. You will find there are good people and bad people everywhere - except some speak with a "twang" and some speak with a "drawl".

Food will be an issue at first. For example, you may find that you miss authentic cheesesteak, but perhaps you will get an appreciation for pulled pork BBQ with that famous NC sauce. Asheville in a lot more diverse than many places in NC (and certainly more so than Macon!), so perhaps there is a lot more to offer than back in the 80s when I still lived in NC.

In addition, in the South, it is considered "harsh" to outright refuse an invitation. If you propose a gathering with a southerner, and they do not give you an definite "yes", but instead say something like "that sounds nice", consider that a "no" This is an important cultural difference. Southerners refrain from saying "negative" things because in their culture, such things are considered rude. If your wife gets a new hairstyle and a southerner says "I love your hair", it means just what you think. But a comment like "You changed your hair" really means "I want to let you know I noticed the change, but I really don't like it"

The "niceties" are expected in the South. A business meeting may start out with a discussion of family or church life. Such familiar conversation is de riguer prelude to actual business issues.

Let me reiterate: these are things the way I understand them, based on my life experiences.

YMMV

I have lived in Detroit, 3 different towns in NC, Chicago, and I have been in central GA for the last 3 years. I have basically lived half my life in the North and half in the South.

Here is what I have learned:

People from the North have an incomplete understanding of life in the South, and vice-versa.

As long as you keep in mind that you are moving to a different "country", and refrain from comparing, you should be ok. Just as you don't expect London to be the same as Philly, don't expect it of Asheville either. You will find there are good people and bad people everywhere - except some speak with a "twang" and some speak with a "drawl".

Food will be an issue at first. For example, you may find that you miss authentic cheesesteak, but perhaps you will get an appreciation for pulled pork BBQ with that famous NC sauce. Asheville in a lot more diverse than many places in NC (and certainly more so than Macon!), so perhaps there is a lot more to offer than back in the 80s when I still lived in NC.

In addition, in the South, it is considered "harsh" to outright refuse an invitation. If you propose a gathering with a southerner, and they do not give you an definite "yes", but instead say something like "that sounds nice", consider that a "no" This is an important cultural difference. Southerners refrain from saying "negative" things because in their culture, such things are considered rude. If your wife gets a new hairstyle and a southerner says "I love your hair", it means just what you think. But a comment like "You changed your hair" really means "I want to let you know I noticed the change, but I really don't like it"

The "niceties" are expected in the South. A business meeting may start out with a discussion of family or church life. Such familiar conversation is de riguer prelude to actual business issues.

Let me reiterate: these are things the way I understand them, based on my life experiences.

YMMV

Yep, these things are true.

Also in The South, "Bless your heart", depending on the context, can be either a token of warm sympathy or a term of passive-aggressive speech, along the lines of "You clueless person, I so pity you and the troubled circumstances that you so richly deserve."

Greg

I don't have anything specific to add about Asheville NC but I made a similar move (Norristown PA to Richmond VA) back in '85 and it was a net positive for me. I believe people ARE different and I have encountered many of the regional idiosyncrasies mentioned by other posters. Don't worry, you'll be throwing out "y'all" and "all y'all" in no time. If I may ask, what is your wife's attachment to Asheville ? You may consider spending a long weekend in the area if this is getting serious for you. You like the mountains, right ? :)

A word of caution. Over the years I have met quite a few folk in the towns in which I lived who moved north to "look for work" and don't recall any of them staying. I have also witnessed a number of my friends move south looking for work only to find them back in six months poorer for spending money they couldn't afford to move... twice. Few were successful attempting to "move first, then find work." Moving is expensive and a pain in the patoot. My plan/advise would be to use the computer/social media/monster.com/etc. to look for work in Asheville and drive down to interview (possibly several times), but don't move until you actually have a job. That may not work for you, and that's okay too, but I've seen this plan go bad enough times to urge caution.

I have been to Asheville a great many times, mostly to go camping and an occasional weekend get-away, and I can say this much, I've always felt the same positive energy about the city and it's people every time I visited. I've actually considered moving there myself because of this. As far as the job market is concerned, I can't help you on that note. I agree with samb, that some extended visits could provide you with the opportunity to get to know Asheville and see if it agrees with you. If you like the mountains, and maybe going camping, you won't be disappointed. If you have any respiratory issues, Asheville may be a plus, as the air seems a little cleaner. Asheville is surrounded by a number of national forests including, Cherokee, Pisgah, Nantahala and the Great Smoky Mountains Natl Park. All of which provide really unique areas of interest, entertainment and breath taking views. Dang! Now I'm in an Asheville state of mind! Guess I'll be packing my bags for another visit before it gets cold again.

I don't have anything specific to add about Asheville NC but I made a similar move (Norristown PA to Richmond VA) back in '85 and it was a net positive for me. I believe people ARE different and I have encountered many of the regional idiosyncrasies mentioned by other posters. Don't worry, you'll be throwing out "y'all" and "all y'all" in no time. If I may ask, what is your wife's attachment to Asheville ? You may consider spending a long weekend in the area if this is getting serious for you. You like the mountains, right ? :)

She vacation there a few times, says it's beautiful and would like to move there. Her plan is for us to go there for a week so I can get a feel for the place and look for work. I have a family to worry about, so I can't just quit my job move to NC and hope to find work. Thanks everyone for your advice/input on the matter.

A word of caution. Over the years I have met quite a few folk in the towns in which I lived who moved north to "look for work" and don't recall any of them staying. I have also witnessed a number of my friends move south looking for work only to find them back in six months poorer for spending money they couldn't afford to move... twice. Few were successful attempting to "move first, then find work." Moving is expensive and a pain in the patoot. My plan/advise would be to use the computer/social media/monster.com/etc. to look for work in Asheville and drive down to interview (possibly several times), but don't move until you actually have a job. That may not work for you, and that's okay too, but I've seen this plan go bad enough times to urge caution.
Great advice John.

My friend liked Asheville but he came to work in the Boston area after he got his PhD because there wasn't any work back home in his speciality. After about 10 years he went to work for TI in Richardson, TX (near Dallas) to streamline the manufacturing process of the 64 MB memory chip in the mid-90s. In the late 90s TI sold off the division to Micron Technology and moved production to the corporate HQ outside Boise where he lives today. Boise is similar in size and geography to Asheville where he grew up and he likes it a lot.

The metro area around Philly is 15X larger than Asheville so there are likely more job variety and opportunities in Philly versus Asheville so I have to agree with John on finding and a job before you make the move.

Bob

Yep, these things are true.

Also in The South, "Bless your heart", depending on the context, can be either a token of warm sympathy or a term of passive-aggressive speech, along the lines of "You clueless person, I so pity you and the troubled circumstances that you so richly deserve."

Greg

"Bless his heart. He can't help being uglier than a day old cow pie; but he could have stayed home!"

I live in Asheville and have all of my life except for one 5 year stint to VA and frankly I could not get back fast enough.

I love it here, I've been all over the world and the states, and this place is awesome.

Especially if your into adventure, rock climbing, mountain biking, white water for kayaking or rafting, and near by skydiving and scuba diving.

Cool places to check out and eat, 12 Bones, Grove Park Inn, and Biltmore House.

We even have a small local rocket club with plenty of rooms for Gs and maybe an H if your brave.

Big Rocket clubs in Charlotte, 2 hours away or Orangeburg, 3 hours away.

Check out this video:

https://www.hgtvremodels.com/blog-cabin-2014-enter/package/index.html

Keep in mind it is a very very diverse area, especially downtown, I occasionally find it challenging, especially when my kids are around.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I'm from SC, and live in NC now, although on the Raleigh side. Been to western NC dozens of times. I'd rather live in the western part myself :) but my field is somewhat narrow, and at this stage in life I kind of have to go where the jobs are...

Peartree's advice about getting the job before the move is spot-on. Are you looking for relocation? I'm not sure what your field is. In many fields that do provide it, local candidates have an advantage. In fields that do not, out-of-state candidates may not get a second look. What some folks do to help break into such a market is to secure a PO box and a local phone number (though with number portability, this SHOULD be a moot point) to make themselves more attractive to these employers.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409671524.568042.jpg
This is what I do for a living, I drive and operate a boom truck. We are looking to relocate and to be closer to my wife's family. We are going to vacation there next summer and go from there, maybe I can convince my wife into moving to orangeburg SC, just maybe.

Last edited:
OT , have has anybody done any gold prospecting east of there .. thinking of going end of this month after gems and gold

Back