How much is too much?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
I have been getting the hairy eyeball lately about all the rocket stuff I have, and it made me wonder just how many rockets I have. So I did inventory today.

In the build pile; these are yet to be started kits, I have 72. And I believe at least two others on order.
In the build room; these are currently under construction kits, I have 17.
In the repair pile there are 2.

And total completed kits is at 65. This does not count the dozen or so kits lost, sitting in trees, bushes, etc.

156 total. So my question is, do I have to much? Should I slow down?

If it's worth doing... It's worth over doing!

, do I have to much? Should I slow down?

Nope and Nope

Of course, I'm a bad example......................... I don't dare total my numbers, but I know it is higher - by a LOT!

Realistically - it really depends on the space you have and your available budget
If you can't pay your rent or mortgage, then maybe slow down
If you are picking old food from the dumpster, then maybe slow down
Thinking of joining a Nudist Colony to save clothing expense, then maybe slow down

Otherwise... Life is too short.... Have fun

PS - how many shoes or other hobby expenses does the wife have?????

I would find something she has a lot of.... Then pose the same question...

Ummmm,

72 unbuilt kits? I'd either sell some of them off or put a moratorium on purchasing any new ones unless you get one done for every new one bought from here on out. At least you'd maintain parity. Kurt

Hey, you took the time to count. I'm afraid to. My daughter graduated high school, went to work, etc. Rockets took over her bedroom and now there's no room for anything else in there. At least my wife has her "hobby". She collects Department 56 houses and has as much invested in that as I do rockets. Our dining room disappears from October to January for her Halloween/Christmas displays.

If you enjoy it, keep at it.

If you're looking to clear some of those unbuilt kits, I'd love to take some off your hands... My wife isn't complaining about it. Yet. And I made my shop in my basement storage area, so until that overflows into the rest of the house, I think I'm okay.
So, yes I think you have too much, but only if you're going to sell me a few kits. If that's not an option, then heck no... Do what do you because you love it. I'd suggest that if it's the space issue, then maybe your next rocketry project should be to build a workshop in your backyard. Out of sight, out of mind.

Space is an issue for me, so that would be too much around here. What happens to me is that I don't have as much time as I think I will for building, but I also get swept up in sales, so I end up with kits that were a good deal that I never get around to building. I'm considering selling a surplus of unbuilt kits and using the funds to buy just one or two kits that are more advanced and more expensive --- focus on quality over quantity.

The flip answer is "Too much is just enough."

On the other hand, I have taken to giving away my already built low power rockets to kids who hold open the cattle gates at the launch site for me. I donate unbuilt low and mid powerkits to club and launch auctions. Seems like the thing to do as I may never get around to building all the kits I have accumulated with good intentions.

It might qualify as "paying it forward".

Here on TRF we had a "Poll" on how many rockets people have in the pile.
Some had over 200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Found it.....https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?32212-How-many-kits-do-you-have&highlight=Poll

P.S. I mentioned this thread and the Estes sale to me wife Sandy. She said "You should get some more at those prices"
And she mentioned how I secretly send out kits at Xmass to TRFers and now would be the time to buy them.
I love that woman!

Last edited:
My wife used to complain about my hobbies, I miss her sometimes.

How many rockets do I need they ask? When I have them all I'll tell ya.

+1
It's amazing how much more room you have in the house when you get rid of one person... All that money that was wasted on food now goes to extra rocket fund. :dark:

Adrian

I'm now in the over 200 crowd (but not by much)... I haven't hit it yet, and I doubt that I'll be able to in my lifetime.

The single most important thing to ask is whether or not your hobby is affecting your ability to pay for food, housing, and other necessities. If it is, or you sometimes decide to delay a bill to spend money on rockets, then you need to cut back.

Beyond that, it's a matter of you and your family figuring out what's appropriate and what isn't. Nobody can answer that for you.

If you're goal is to stay happily married, and your wife is giving you "the look" I'd suggest it's time to sit down and have a chat.

-Kevin

Love the jokes. I'm in the dozen rockets club. Just got restarted this summer, though. We'll see what happens from here

Love the jokes. I'm in the dozen rockets club. Just got restarted this summer, though. We'll see what happens from here
I've been building and flying rockets for 5 years and I only have 15 rockets and never more than 1 in the build pile at a time. I think I'm the one with the problem....

The single most important thing to ask is whether or not your hobby is affecting your ability to pay for food, housing, and other necessities. If it is, or you sometimes decide to delay a bill to spend money on rockets, then you need to cut back.

Beyond that, it's a matter of you and your family figuring out what's appropriate and what isn't. Nobody can answer that for you.

If you're goal is to stay happily married, and your wife is giving you "the look" I'd suggest it's time to sit down and have a chat.

-Kevin

+1 to Kevin's response. If your rockets are causing problems whether financial, interpersonal problems with your spouse, or whatever else you need to look in the mirror.

Personally, until you get through almost your entire build pile I would not even consider buying another rocket.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I've been building and flying rockets for 5 years and I only have 15 rockets and never more than 1 in the build pile at a time. I think I'm the one with the problem....

Maybe we should start a support group... We'll get together and order new kits while building two at a time. All because, you know... Therapy. :)

The other day my boss said, "A happy wife makes for a happy life". I can't argue with that. As others have said, if space or money are issues then you need to cut back. At a minimum you need to talk about it.

As Jeff Foxworthy says "If she's not happy, you're not happy. And if she's not happy long enough, your not happy with half your stuff"

I have been getting the hairy eyeball lately about all the rocket stuff I have, and it made me wonder just how many rockets I have. So I did inventory today.

In the build pile; these are yet to be started kits, I have 72. And I believe at least two others on order.
In the build room; these are currently under construction kits, I have 17.
In the repair pile there are 2.

And total completed kits is at 65. This does not count the dozen or so kits lost, sitting in trees, bushes, etc.

156 total. So my question is, do I have to much? Should I slow down?

Wait, what?

TA

Back