'Chutes In or 'Chutes Out

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pardon me if this has been discussed before.

I was wondering how many of you keep the 'cute in your rockets during storage,and if you don't how do you store them?

I was also curious if any of you just keep a few of each size and switch from rocket to rocket?

Ok, one more question, how many of you use the stock 'chute vs. an aftermarket nylon one?

I was wondering how many of you keep the 'cute in your rockets during storage,and if you don't how do you store them?

I was also curious if any of you just keep a few of each size and switch from rocket to rocket?

Ok, one more question, how many of you use the stock 'chute vs. an aftermarket nylon one?

I almost always use nylon chutes now. They fold up much easier, and the braided nylon lines do not tangle the way the thin threads on plastic chutes do. The only issue is that nylon can be bulkier than plastic, so if you have small rockets, the fit can be tight. You can get thin mill nylon for those situations.

I do swap chutes between rockets. Sometimes I want a bigger chute, and sometimes I want a smaller one for the same rocket, depending on conditions. For larger rockets, I tie the chute to a stainless steel swivel, and I attach that to the shock cord using a quick connect. That makes it easy to remove and replace. On smaller rockets, I tie the chute to a fishing snap swivel.

I usually leave the chute in the rocket after the flight for storage, and I keep spares in a toolbox. I've never had problems with it. But never fly a rocket without completely unfolding the chute and refolding it right before the flight! This is especially true for plastic chutes that don't like to unfurl properly if stored folded up ---they need to be unfolded and refolded. It's also a good practice for any chute, plastic or not.

I have been buying my nylon chutes, steel swivels and quick links from Top Flight Recovery, and I am very happy with them

Last edited:

I used to hang all my chutes from the joists in the basement although some are too long to do that. Now most of them end up in a "chute" box just rolled up until I need them. I seldom leave the chutes in the rockets because I forget where they are and that is usually the rocket I left home when I need the chute for another rocket. I have various sized chutes and I pick the one I need for the rocket and the weather/wind conditions.

As for stock chutes vs. nylon, most of my stock chutes are nylon. I will usually chose a homemade hemi or elliptical chute instead of the flat sheet commercial/stock chutes because they pack smaller and work better.

I usually pack them once. They might sit for months ready to go with wadding and everything. I think the technique is more important than "freshness". They can sit for a while waiting to be packed, though. I've never switched chutes planning to switch back. If I did, wouldn't be adapting to wind conditions, it would be for different ground to land on.

I think this is an excellent and logical question. And I think ThirstyBarbarian has given a great answer.

My experience is limited to low power rockets and about one year into this hobby. I noticed a couple of melted burn marks on a mylar chute after the final flight of the day...and it got me thinking, if it ripped or melted or failed, I would be without the means to launch/recover my rocket. So, I ordered a dozen plastic/mylar chutes from JonRockets.com and got them within a week. You can trim them to size 12", 15" or 18" and cut out a center hole if you like as well. I prepped one of each size and labled the plastic baggie (half sandwich or snack size) that I stored it in, so I could quickly indentify which was which in my jumpkit/tackle box. Almost the very next launch, I discovered I had finished my Mega Mosquito, but forgotten to attach the chute! Thank goodness I had those spares ready, and in a few moments, was ready to go.

I have not used a nylon chute yet...and I am thinking about it as my fleet grows larger, and as some individual rockets use larger rocket engines. Toward that end, I have been salvaging nylon skins off defective umbrellas that have gone bad or been thrown. With just a little bit of sewing and careful triming, you can make a nice experimental chute to try out. I am told the use of barrel swivels and one-way clasps helps the interchangability of chutes, but I have never had to do this yet.

To answer your question about storage, I carry a bottle of baby talc in my tackle box and assure each chute is powdered when made, but also if it gets melted or stored in a warm/humid spot. Though I have been warned not to store my chutes rolled up in my rockets without unfurling and additional powder again before launch, I have not had a problem so far. I find it essential to roll and repack my chute after each launch, so a breeze doesn't try to jerk the rocket out of my hands, or spin and tangle it while walking back to the launch pad. Once rolled and reinserted WITH FRESH RECOVERY WADDING, the rocket is ready for a new motor to be inserted in moments and launch again.

Hope this has helped.

Last edited:
I keep a few chutes that I switch around from rocket to rocket. Once one gets too bad I chuck it and start using a new one. I have toms of chutes that I never assembled from my kits

And I have had issues with plastic chutes that have sat packed, especially in the cold.

I use Nylon chutes and I always keep them stored folded in plastic zip lock bags when I'm not using them. I attach the shroud lines to a barrel swivel and then use a quick link to attach the chute to the shock cord. Depending on how tangle the shrouds lines are, before each flight I will remove the shroud lines and attach them again to make sure they are perfectly straight and in order. I figure I spent a lot of time building the rockets I'm launching I don't want a recovery failure. I also like to dust the chutes with talcum powder. I use Top Flight chutes both standard and "X" style and Fruity chute TARC chutes....

Thanks for all of the great replies. I do use swivels and have a dozen or so nylon 'chutes(Estes PSII ,Top Flight,Cato) I just seem to have better luck with the nylon 'chutes.
I haven't tried powdering plastic 'chutes, I'll give that a shot too.(do you powder nylon 'chutes as well?)

Thanks for all of the great replies. I do use swivels and have a dozen or so nylon 'chutes(Estes PSII ,Top Flight,Cato) I just seem to have better luck with the nylon 'chutes.
I haven't tried powdering plastic 'chutes, I'll give that a shot too.(do you powder nylon 'chutes as well?)

Some powder nylon just depends on the humidity

Usually, my built/flown rockets will keep their chutes packed inside them (powdered) until it is time to fly again. However, if the shock cord is old, I'll remove it and the chute and not replace them until I'm ready to try and fly again. That said, I do unpack, powder, and repack them prior to flying again. Just to make sure that they are still serviceable.

Note to self... Always check to see if rocket still has a parachute/serviceable shock cord... BEFORE going out to the field.

Last edited:
My experience is limited to low power rockets and about one year into this hobby. I noticed a couple of melted burn marks on a mylar chute after the final flight of the day...and it got me thinking, if it ripped or melted or failed, I would be without the means to launch/recover my rocket. So, I ordered a dozen plastic/mylar chutes from JohnnyRocket and got them within a week. You can trim them to size 12", 15" or 18" and cut out a center hole if you like as well. I prepped one of each size and labled the plastic baggie (half sandwich or snack size) that I stored it in, so I could quickly indentify which was which in my jumpkit/tackle box. Almost the very next launch, I discovered I had finished my Mega Mosquito, but forgotten to attach the chute! Thank goodness I had those spares ready, and in a few moments, was ready to go.

To answer your question about storage, I carry a bottle of baby talc in my tackle box and assure each chute is powdered when made, but also if it gets melted or stored in a warm/humid spot. Though I have been warned not to store my chutes rolled up in my rockets without unfurling and powdering them again before launch, I have not had a problem so far. I find it essential to roll and repack my chute after each launch, so a breeze doesn't try to jerk the rocket out of my hands, or spin while walking back to the launch pad. Once rolled and reinserted WITH RECOVERY WADDING, the rocket is ready for a new motor to be inserted in moments and ready to launch again.
Hope this has helped.

I hope you liked the JonRocket parachutes - I designed them to be a one-size chute kit that fits all LPR models.
These chutes are 1 1/2 mil, slightly thicker than some vendor parachutes.

I leave the parachutes in the models. They'll get opened up before a flight.
Like you, I haven't had problems with them if they are aired out before flight.
If it's hot and humid (or too cold in the Wintertime) I'll sprinkle on some talcum powder.

I'm like you - I have a 12", 15" and 18" parachute with snap swivels rolled up and ready.
These chutes have spill holes cut in them.
I'll switch out for a spill holed chute or smaller size when needed if there is too much wind.

If I fly E engines or larger I use nylon parachutes. Plastic sheet parachutes are best suited for LPR rockets.
After your wadding is in the tube, loosely wrap one last sheet of wadding around the rolled parachute
for a final chute protector.

Oh thanks, Chris. I wasn't aware we had a representative on board.
I guess I was thinking of the resturant chain, Johnny Rocket, by mistake.
Yes, I'm enjoying your bulk pack. Still can't think of the name of those single wire clasp that they sell at Cabella's and other sporting goods shops. They supposedly can't fly open and will tighten down upon themselves under load.

I have been gradually replacing my stock parachutes with ripstop nylon from TFR. Never regretted the expense. I leave them loose in a box between launches.

Back