can KNO3 with sugar rocket fuel reach 6 to 10 Km altitude

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_man

Reaction score
hi members
this is my first post in this forum
i hope that this post is in the right place

i try to reach 6 to 10 km altitude using solid rocket engine
i wonder if KNO3 and sugar Mixture can offer this altitude range ??

any information may be help me

best regards

If your name is Phil Vukovichor from New Zealand or Andre from Slovakia , yes

Last edited:

To expand on that a little.

Yes, but unless you have quite a few hours/years of motor research already, then probably, no.

Do you currently have any rocketry experience? If not, you will most likely be directed towards commercial reloads, and the proper governing board for the area you live. That one answer (where you live) will determine much after this point.

No question is silly.... but this is one of those - 'if you have to ask, then you aren't ready to be trying that yet' questions....

i i saw the Phil Vukovichor rocket
this video show the launch process

[video=youtube;c8dovKYULEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8dovKYULEQ[/video]

To expand on that a little.

Yes, but unless you have quite a few hours/years of motor research already, then probably, no.

Do you currently have any rocketry experience? If not, you will most likely be directed towards commercial reloads, and the proper governing board for the area you live. That one answer (where you live) will determine much after this point.

thank you for replay
as i am control engineer, my rocketry experience almost beginner specially in the rocket fuel
i ask this question because their is no chemical expert near me to get a good price solid fuel that make my rocket reach such altitude so i decide to search in internet for a solution.

Yes knsb motors can do that . Don't ask for a formula here . Must be in the research section . Also need to be L2 or higher to make motors to fly at research launches . Or go on your own and file for a waiver and get your own insurance . And depending you are composite motors may be allowed. Just have to check . And don't believe everything that you see on YouTube . It can get you killed . Also with that altitude you need a very large recovery area . Then there is tracking you will need it altimeter for dual development . It can land miles away .

thank you for replay
as i am control engineer, my rocketry experience almost beginner specially in the rocket fuel
i ask this question because their is no chemical expert near me to get a good price solid fuel that make my rocket reach such altitude so i decide to search in internet for a solution.

Hi :) One thing is what country your in has a lot to do with how much help we can give. World laws are so weird you or we could get into legal trouble or not depending on the information. That's just the world situation as it is. In reality it's sugar-AN motored rockets Hamas is shooting into Israel...not saying that's your plan...

Yes knsb motors can do that . Don't ask for a formula here . Must be in the research section . Also need to be L2 or higher to make motors to fly at research launches . Or go on your own and file for a waiver and get your own insurance . And depending you are composite motors may be allowed. Just have to check . And don't believe everything that you see on YouTube . It can get you killed . Also with that altitude you need a very large recovery area . Then there is tracking you will need it altimeter for dual development . It can land miles away .

Agree. Research section is appropriate for this one. It is too "sweet" for me!

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

It's this Post/Question again.:facepalm:
Sounds like the same Guy from last time again too.

"I am Control Engineer....." AKA, Terrorist In Charge.
What was it the last "Control Engineer" was asking about? Was'nt it how to steer a Rocket while under powered Flight to an Altitude of 35-40,000 Feet????:eyepop:

hi members
this is my first post in this forum
i hope that this post is in the right place

i try to reach 6 to 10 km altitude using solid rocket engine
i wonder if KNO3 and sugar Mixture can offer this altitude range ??

any information may be help me

best regards
Welcome to TRF eng_man! What you are asking is essentially what we call an "Experimental Motor" only meaning that it is not mass produced by any certified vendors and are usually 'home made". The technology is not that hard and information is all over the web. The physics of a burning sugar motor are also pretty well documented. There is a lot to go with the rest of your question like A) Ground support equipment-rod, tower or rail? b) ignition c) Clearance/permission to go that high d) construction techniques not only for the motor case but the bird itself and e) recovery.
Dig around here and most answers will be found as solutions to what you face. Depending where you are-finding a local club can go along way answering your questions as others will literally hand you what they've built so you can see for yourself. If you are indeed isolated, check your local laws to avoid any confrontation with the local authorities. The world has become a lot more sensitive to model rockets as a whole and back yard chemists in general.
Most of us here have to go thru steps to become 'certified' for production motors and after we have proven we know the basics of safety and rocketry in general, we are allowed into the EX area after we've achieved a Level 2 card. One of my personal heroes is Richard Nakka, who documented his journey thru rocketry experiments on his website. There is literally hours of reading available and he could save you a lot of money and time thru his experiences. We love pictures and descriptions of what you are doing because, well, we're all rocket junkies and learn from each other! Keep us posted and again- welcome to TRF!

(You will have to forgive us as we do not want to inadvertently help someone with ulterior motives or a less than scientific interest. You have to realize that when common items can be turned into weapons, we may attract those looking for simple answers who don't really want to invest the time, money or energy into 'playing well with others'. Believe me when I say we are all under scrutiny from the FBI, NSA, BATF and FAA. We all MUST be safe just to enjoy our hobby and one individual could bring us grief. If we seems paranoid, it's because we are! We jealously guard our freedom in this hobby so I hope you understand our situation.)

Last edited:

What was it the last "Control Engineer" was asking about? Was'nt it how to steer a Rocket while under powered Flight to an Altitude of 35-40,000 Feet????:eyepop:

True TR. I wondered the same thing when reading it.

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Top,
Notice he has not responded lately....

Mike

Hmm...wonder if it was the last paragraph of post #11???

fyrwrxz
You may be right sir!

That guy was last here on September 3rd about 9am . So didn't see past post 8 . Very fishy

That guy was last here on September 3rd about 9am . So didn't see past post 8 . Very fishy

Block his North Korean or ISIS IP address? 👮

If he is on the up-and-up, we should simply refer him to a local club. He can get some help and advice in a face to face environment, and maybe one of the advisers can talk him into providing a few more "bonafides" here to establish himself.

If he is not on the up-and-up, we definitely should not be helping him. ITARS is the least of your concerns, there are strong moral issues with assisting a potential enemy to hurt people that we like.

Until we can clearly identify a friend or foe on this thread, I suggest the mods close this.

I think there's too much paranoia about this. (Someone mention North Korea and another implied terrorists.) Just because English isn't someone's first language, doesn't mean they aren't a hobbyist looking for info like we all were in the beginning.

Remember how often we get someone who comes here wanting do something we think is implausible (G80s to orbit for example). It's very unlikely they are terrorists, just excitedly dreaming.

The OP is from Mauritius, Africa. He may simply be an engineering student or ......... In either case I'm closing this thread.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back