alternative ignition system for aerotech econojet cluster - HELP NEEDED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cesarecandela

Reaction score
Hi to all from Italy. I'm newbie in rocket model building. After two kits I've decided to build one by myself, using openrocket.
Now, I've my rocket and I've bought three Aerotech F27-r8 Econojet for the cluster. BUT...I discovered copperhead ignitors aren'y good for cluster. Naturally, I discovered this only after I payed a lot of money.....:shock:
Is there an alternative way to ignite the motors, without using the copperhead ignitors?
Many thanks in advance to all for your attention and...I beg your pardon for my bad english.

bye

simone

Hi :) Well, you have the basic problem with living in Italy. I'm not sure what can be mailed internationally but I think not much. Might be worth thinking about making your own igniters. I think there are electric matches that can be shipped without problems but you'd have to contact the seller to find out about that.

Try the high power motor sellers like Wildman or the other places that sell motors. Aerotech First Fire igniters might be an option, too.

I would say the Aerotech First Fire may be the only option other then making your own. If you can get the Aerotech motors there, you should be able to get the First Fire igniters also. The work much better then the Copperheads and can be easily wired together if you are clustering. Just make sure your launch controller is 12VDC and can dump a lot of current. It will draw quite a bit with a cluster.

When I've bought EconoJet F27 motors here in the US, they were in a pack of two, and they came with First Fire igniters in the package. I've used those igniters when launching from our club's good 12-volt system. I've used the Estes Pro Series Two igniters when launching from 6-volt launchers.

Many thanks to all for answers...F27 aerotech in Italy are sold in two pieces pack. Inside I found instruction talking about copperhead ignitors so I presume the ingnitors are copperhead. I'll try to find Fire Fly. Is it suggested using them in serie or in parallel mode? Note I have a three motors cluster.

You always do clusters in parallel. If you do them in series the circuit is broken if one igniter breaks before the others have fired.

Bare copper stripes...the title "how to use copperhead igniters" make me think they are copperhead type....

If possible, I'd try to get some first fire jr's.

If not, it's possible to use copperheads. It is difficult, but possible.

Make three one foot sets of clips to attach to the copperheads. Use flat clips, clips with teeth can bite through the strip and short the copperhead.

Wire each set of clips in parallel to a 12v source.

Aerotech no longer sells copperheads, but some older motors still have them in the package. 10 years back we called them "crapperheads" and were thrown away with the packaging. The first fires are a good alternative, but even with them, you want to "ohm them out" to find a good pair. If the resistance is the same (by way of a volt meter) there is a better chance they will fire at the same time. You don't one one to ignite and the second one to ignite when the bird is already moving and #2 is out the back!

Back