Using pipe insulation with RF trackers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackman

Reaction score
Has anybody used ordinary gray foam plumbing pipe insulation to wrap their RF tracker? I use a Beeline GPS in bubble wrap but was considering using pipe insulation since it's more rugged. I was wondering if it will attenuate the signal.

All replies are greatly appreciated.

If there is metallic or carbon fiber in pipe insulation, it would attenuate the signal. Would be easy enough to test. Take the rocket bay out to the field and do a ground test without the insulation. Add it to the device in the carrier and see if you can take it out to the same distance or close to it on the ground. If you can go out the same distance or close to it, you're O.K. Kurt

You are talking about the gray foam wrap for freeze protection, right?

You are talking about the gray foam wrap for freeze protection, right?

The stuff I have here at the house is just plain gray foam. I have seen it installed on both hot and cold pipes just to provide insulating properties.

Yes, I use something similar -- grey foam but cut from some packing material in a box I was throwing away. Works fine.

No. I was just thinking this might be better.

I hadn't thought of using the pipe insulation, but it could be a great idea. What I have found is that the bubble wrap is not so effective in protecting the antenna. I use bubble wrap about half the time (hard mount it the other 50%) and when I do I invariably get a bent/twisted antenna. Assuming I could get the pipe insulation to fit most applications, attaching the tracker effectively to the foam would be far superior in protecting the NC.

I hadn't thought of using the pipe insulation, but it could be a great idea. What I have found is that the bubble wrap is not so effective in protecting the antenna. I use bubble wrap about half the time (hard mount it the other 50%) and when I do I invariably get a bent/twisted antenna. Assuming I could get the pipe insulation to fit most applications, attaching the tracker effectively to the foam would be far superior in protecting the NC.

How do you mount the device with a wire antenna? With my WM Jr I have the BLGPS ride in the ebay forward with the Raven aft. The antenna goes through a form fit hole in the forward bulkhead. It projects into the main parachute bay and I use a cardboard tube that the AT wire igniters come in, wrapped with one layer of plastic duct tape for flame resistance. Use clay or plumbers grout to seal the antenna and hold the tube to stent the wire antenna. It doesn't get smushed by the main chute then.

This technique has worked like a charm. The antenna is straight and might be off to the side in the bay a bit after recovery but gives good range. Had to strip the metallic paint off the upper bay tube and use a plain color but that's all. The paint wouldn't allow the Rf out and no range.

One could have the antenna come out aft but I believe the flopping shockcord would likely bend up the wire into something that is not really good to radiate Rf. In that case, could get a bulkhead mount
like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-4inch...Coaxial_Cables_Connectors&hash=item3f3c0fd6c5
Have the BLGPS ride aft and screw on a 70cm SMA antenna. Would be more robust than a wire. I am using this solution for a rocket I painted entirely with metallic paint. At least I can get the tracker "out in the open" with an aft antenna that gets deployed at apogee. The ride down and final resting place is what's important.:smile: Kurt

How do you mount the device with a wire antenna? With my WM Jr I have the BLGPS ride in the ebay forward with the Raven aft. The antenna goes through a form fit hole in the forward bulkhead. It projects into the main parachute bay and I use a cardboard tube that the AT wire igniters come in, wrapped with one layer of plastic duct tape for flame resistance. Use clay or plumbers grout to seal the antenna and hold the tube to stent the wire antenna. It doesn't get smushed by the main chute then.

This technique has worked like a charm. The antenna is straight and might be off to the side in the bay a bit after recovery but gives good range. Had to strip the metallic paint off the upper bay tube and use a plain color but that's all. The paint wouldn't allow the Rf out and no range.

One could have the antenna come out aft but I believe the flopping shockcord would likely bend up the wire into something that is not really good to radiate Rf. In that case, could get a bulkhead mount
like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-4inch...Coaxial_Cables_Connectors&hash=item3f3c0fd6c5
Have the BLGPS ride aft and screw on a 70cm SMA antenna. Would be more robust than a wire. I am using this solution for a rocket I painted entirely with metallic paint. At least I can get the tracker "out in the open" with an aft antenna that gets deployed at apogee. The ride down and final resting place is what's important.:smile: Kurt

Yes, sorry. I should have mentioned that. I also mount in that fashion using the SMA connector through a bulkhead with the antenna facing into the bay. I seal the opening with an o-ring that snugs down nicely and cinches the whole assembly down nicely. Although the SMA connector (at least for the BRB) is more robust, I have still had it bend/crunch from activities in the payload bay. The problem with the above is that I don't always have room to do this, either in the bay, or on the bulkhead; also, it doesn't generally work with non-fiberglass bulkheads as the plywood is too thick. It also doesn't work with a non-SMA BRB. But I do agree, it is a nice option when it fits the application.

I choose to attach a small Fiberglas tube to my bulk plate allowing my TeleMetrum antenna wire to pass through. The antenna wire path is at a slight angle to the outside allowing maximum space and straight antenna without worrying about the shockcord mangling antenna. Tip of tube (TAP Plastics) is sealed and angled slightly allowing nosecone shoulder to easily pass between bodytube and antenna tube.

photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Chris

Last edited:
Yep, that's a good stent to keep that antenna from getting mangled. I have some shrink tubing so the antenna on the BLGPS press fits into the forward bulkhead hole. Some grout or clay helps sealing and then the thick cardboard igniter tube with duct tape goes over the wire again secured with clay/grout.
I toss the tube once it's worn out. This is about the only way to do a tracker in a small rocket unless the nosecone has the space to carry the tracker or one can
protect the tracker enough to attach it to the shockcord. Kurt

Works great for altimeters. G-forces at ejection don't even budge it because of its very low mass:

13985690786_10862e6658.jpg

Back