Estes Argent engine question!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[POW]Eagle159

Reaction score
I just bought the estes Argent and was wondering how high it would go on its recommended engines? I can usually guess very well how high a rocket will go but ive never used engines this big!

I bought Aerotech F23-4FJ for its first launch, but i still want to keep her low, how high would this engine put the Argent up to?

The only other composite engines ive ever used were aerotech E20s :sad:

[POW]Eagle159;752556 said:
I just bought the estes Argent and was wondering how high it would go on its recommended engines? I can usually guess very well how high a rocket will go but ive never used engines this big!

I bought Aerotech F23-4FJ for its first launch, but i still want to keep her low, how high would this engine put the Argent up to?

honestly you need to know the final weight to be able to tell for sure.

+1 on final weight. It's hard to say but I got I think 800 or so on an F39T. Once you have a weight you may be able to extrapolate from there
Nate

rough guess, about a 1000' (using the mass of mine, your milage may vary).
Rex

Your final "loaded" weight (with motor) is going to be key here. Most folks build heavy, and you are right on the bubble for for what this motor can handle. The max suggested lift-off weight is 22oz.... so its going to probably come off the pad very slow. This rocket is also "over-stable" so launch it with this motor in very calm/no wind conditions or it will more than likely weathercock. A 6 foot launch rod would also be advisable. I would guess 600-700 feet on a calm launch.

Have fun!

Jerome :)

[POW]Eagle159;752556 said:

It should fly fine on a F23-4FJ. That is the Aerotech Econojet SU motor, correct? I've used that motor with a Leviathan and it goes to less that 1,000 feet --- probably between 700 and 900, I would guess, depending on various factors. You asked about the "recommended motors," and that F23 is not on Estes' official list of recommended motors, because it is not an Estes motor. The similar recommended motor is an Estes F26, and that will go a bit higher than the F23, because it has more total impulse --- it definitely puts my Leviathan higher than the F23. I like the F23, with it's thick black smoke. Other Econojet motors I like are the F20 (white smoke and flame) and the F27 (Red flame). All of these Econojets are cheaper than the Estes F26, F50, G40 and G80, so they are a great way to save a few bucks as long as you are OK not having a full F.

Back