Answer this

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're driving a bus.

First you stop at 2nd Street and pick up 3 passengers.

Second, you stop at 3rd Street, drop off one passenger and pick up 2 more.

Third, you stop at 5th Street, drop off 3 passengers and pick up one more.

Fourth, you stop at 7th Street and pick up ten passengers.

Fifth, you stop at 4th Street, drop off seven passengers and pick up 5 more.

6th, you stop at Ninth Street.

Now to see if you've been reading that carefully enough. The question is...

What is the name of the bus driver?

To me, the obvious answer is, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition." :kill:

Like the prostitute that was coming up for parole and offered to sleep with ahy board member who would vote to free her. But she was told she couldn't end a sentence with a proposition.

You're driving a bus.

Do you want his TRF screen name?

Do you want his TRF screen name?
If it's correct, it's acceptable since it will demonstrate understanding of the question.

It takes ten minutes to fill a bath with water using just the cold tap. How long does it take to fill the same bath using both the hot and cold taps?

To me, the obvious answer is, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition." :kill:

Like the prostitute that was coming up for parole and offered to sleep with ahy board member who would vote to free her. But she was told she couldn't end a sentence with a proposition.

Ha! The "proposition" joke is nice one.

As far as the answer to the riddle though, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition" would only tell you which one was the improper way to end the sentence, not the proper way. Also, that's a grammar rule for how to structure sentences that wouldn't apply in this case, because the word "to" is not acting as a preposition in the sentence.

Hmmmmm..... My brain is smoking a little bit.

Last edited:
If it's correct, it's acceptable since it will demonstrate understanding of the question.

It takes ten minutes to fill a bath with water using just the cold tap. How long does it take to fill the same bath using both the hot and cold taps?

In my case, the name is ThirstyBarbarian.

I'm thinking it takes 10 minutes either way.

Hmmmm... when I first read the joke I thought it said "preposition" and figured that no one heard anything past the "sleep with" in the sentence... :)

Ha! The "proposition" joke is nice one.

As far as the answer to the riddle though, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition" would only tell you which one was the improper way to end the sentence, not the proper way. Also, that's a grammar rule for how to structure sentences that wouldn't apply in this case, because the word "to" is not acting as a preposition in the sentence.

Hmmmmm..... My brain is smoking a little bit.

You're driving a bus.

Its some foreign guy named "You're" pronounced YO-REE or YUE-RAH.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... when I first read the joke I thought it said "preposition" and figured that no one heard anything past the "sleep with" in the sentence... :)

I did a little double-take on that one too. A lot of times puns of this kind work better when you hear them, but it's still a good one.

Actually, no... It is an infinite amount of times.
Look:

25-5=5.

OK, I just did it once.

25-5=5
Just did it again.

25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5...

You get the jist.

Actually, no... It is an infinite amount of times.
Look:

25-5=5.

OK, I just did it once.

25-5=5
Just did it again.

25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5
25-5=5...

You get the jist.

I do get the gist, but 25-5 is not 5, it's 20.

Is this about it being the SAME bath, as in a COLD one? If so, it takes time to fill the bath and an unknown time for it to cool down?

Certain riddles are put together this way with a particular word or phrase having more importance then you would think in casual speech. So if my guess about the bath riddle is correct, the key is the riddle is talking about filling the same BATH not the same BATH TUB. I think it is something like this that is going on with the original riddle. It might have something to do with the phrase "three ways to spell" not literally meaning "three spellings" in this case. Or it could be something else. I still don't get that one...

Is this about it being the SAME bath, as in a COLD one? If so, it takes time to fill the bath and an unknown time for it to cool down?

Yes, it's the same bath. But, you can't fill it with both taps because it's already full.

-- Roger

I have two US coins in me hand that add up to 30 cents. one of them is not a nickel. What coins do I have in me hand?
I'm holding a bee in me hand,what do I have in me eye?

More then 40 years ago my English teacher gave us this question and I still don't know the answer.

There are three ways to spell the word "to". The question is which form of the word is the proper one for the end of that sentence.

I'm still puzzling over this one. After 40 years, are you absolutely positive you have written the riddle in EXACTLY the same way it was written for you? Alost all riddles hinge on the exact wording, because sometimes they are relying on a word having multiple meanings, so the question is not the question you think it is at first. And sometimes they are relying on misdirection, so a part of the question is irrelevant. If the riddle is not asked the right way, it cannot be answered. Often, if you've heard a riddle and not figured it out, you might ask someone else to solve it, but you rephrase it based on your own mis-interpretation of the misdirection.

For example, if the questions were:

There are three ways to spell the word "to". What is the proper way to the end that sentence?

Then one possible answer would be "with a period." (Or with a quotation mark, depending on your style rules!) I'm not saying that is how your riddle is supposed to be phrased or that this is the right answer. I'm just saying the exact wording matters.

I have two US coins in me hand that add up to 30 cents. one of them is not a nickel. What coins do I have in me hand?
Quarter and nickel... One is not a nickel, but the other is.
Beauty?

1. You have a quarter and a nickel. The one that is not a nickel is a quarter.

2. You have a tear in your eye, because that dang bee just stung you! Ouch!

A plane crashes on the border between Canada and Montana. It is horrible, half the people on the plane perish. Where do they bury the survivors?

You are in a dark room with a candle, a wood stove and a gas lamp. You only have one match, so what do you light first?

A man was in a sealed room with no way out. He had a mirror and a table. How did he escape?

He looked in the mirror to see what he SAW. He took the SAW and cut the table in half. Two halves make a wHOLE, so he crawled through the HOLE.

Okay, I'm done.

Back