Answer this

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepe

Reaction score
More then 40 years ago my English teacher gave us this question and I still don't know the answer.

There are three ways to spell the word "to". The question is which form of the word is the proper one for the end of that sentence.

Here's another one:

Three men enter a hotel and request a room. The clerk says it will be $30, so each man gives him $10. They go to their room.

The clerk relaizes he made a mistake and overcharged them; the room should have cost $25. He calls a bell boy, gives him five $1 bills, and asks him to take the money to the three men.

One the way, the bell boy realizes that the men don't know about the mistake. So he keeps $2 for himself, and gives the men $3.

So each man ended up paying $9 for the room. 3 X $9 = $27 The beel boy kept $2. $27 + $2 = $29

What happened to the other $1?

--------------------------

And then there's the famous Pinocchio Paradox. It is impossible for Pinocchio to say, "My nose is growing."

More then 40 years ago my English teacher gave us this question and I still don't know the answer.

There are three ways to spell the word "to". The question is which form of the word is the proper one for the end of that sentence.

I'll go with 2 :wink:

Here's another one:

Three men enter a hotel and request a room. The clerk says it will be $30, so each man gives him $10. They go to their room.

The clerk relaizes he made a mistake and overcharged them; the room should have cost $25. He calls a bell boy, gives him five $1 bills, and asks him to take the money to the three men.

One the way, the bell boy realizes that the men don't know about the mistake. So he keeps $2 for himself, and gives the men $3.

So each man ended up paying $9 for the room. 3 X $9 = $27 The beel boy kept $2. $27 + $2 = $29

And then there's the famous Pinocchio Paradox. It is impossible for Pinocchio to say, "My nose is growing."

It's 3x9 is $27, INCLUDING the two the bell boy kept AND the $25 the hotel got, plus the three refunded to the men.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Just wondering, is this your question? Just clarifying:

There are 3 ways to spell the word "____".

Which word goes in the blank?
1. To
2. Too
3. Two

Is this your question?

Some from me...

Can God make a rock so heavy that he himself cannot lift it?
Not all numbers are squares of numbers. However, there are the same number of numbers and squares of numbers... :p

Here's another one:

T
hey paid $25 for the room.
25 divided by3= 8.3333333 throw in the other 1 each =9.333333X3=27.9999999 or $28 + 2=30

Something like that..In the end,they ended up spending 9.333333 each and gave the bell hop 2 bucks. The room doesnt come into play.

I know this one, I think im still missing a part. maybe not.?????

Last edited:
Just wondering, is this your question? Just clarifying:

There are 3 ways to spell the word "____".

Which word goes in the blank?
1. To
2. Too
3. Two

Is this your question?

Some from me...

Can God make a rock so heavy that he himself cannot lift it?
Not all numbers are squares of numbers. However, there are the same number of numbers and squares of numbers... :p
Yes

Give me 3 words that end in 'gry. No names or proper

Can you win a losers contest?
If you entered a losers contest and won, would you have really lost.Cuz now your a winner.
To win a losers contest shouldn't you be the loser? And now again ,your a winner.

Last edited:
T
hey paid $25 for the room.
25 divided by3= 8.3333333 throw in the other 1 each =9.333333X3=27.9999999 or $28 + 2=30

Something like that..In the end,they ended up spending 9.333333 each and gave the bell hop 2 bucks. The room doesnt come into play.

I know this one, I think im still missing a part. maybe not.?????

Right. The mistake comes from adding a deficit to an asset. With those quantities, it just so happens to be off by one dollar, which can drive people crazy.

angry
hungry
gry

No, I did not use google.

And BTW, a "gry" is a unit of measurement.

Last edited:

It's a nonsensical statement. After all, there is only one way to spell the word "to." There are three ways to spell words pronounced as "to." (And, in the previous sentence, it's irrelevant which of the spellings you choose.) :)

-- Roger

Like one of those yes/no questions that can't be correctly answered with a "yes" or a "no;" e.g., "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Here's another one:

The men each originally paid 10, for a total of 30 dollars. After they get their 1 each back, it means they have paid a total of 27, not 30, so we can forget about adding back up to 30. Of the 27 they paid, the hotel got 25, and the bell boy got 2. The mistake (or trick) is in adding the 2 to the 27 to get 29. That's a meaningless number, because the 27 paid already includes the 2 the bell boy got. The only meaningful math you can do by adding or subtracting from the 27 is to subtract the 2 the bell boy took to get the 25 the hotel got, or add the 3 the men got in change to get the 30 they originally paid.

It's a nonsensical statement. After all, there is only one way to spell the word "to." There are three ways to spell words pronounced as "to." (And, in the previous sentence, it's irrelevant which of the spellings you choose.) :)

-- Roger
Thanks that's the best explanation I've heard

I love this one.

Yes, that's how I feel this morning after being up fighting a wildland fire since dark 30 this morning. I need more coffee before I can get the brain firing on cylinders for these questions.

The correct Answer to your Question is in how you phrase the Question.
For the Question to be properly asked, it must go like this:

There are three ways to spell the Word, "To, Too, and Two".

That is the Comprehensive Answer.:)

Last edited:

To be pedantic: there's only one way to correctly spell the word "to" and that is "to". There are also two homonyms for the word, each with their own singular "correct" spelling*. I guess if the question would work if given orally. Alternately, I would say that "any" of the three would be correct.

* I'm too lazy to list the correct spellings for the two homonyms right now. :p

Edit: Also - I typed my reply before reading the whole thread... I just really wanted to make the "too lazy to..." joke

Last edited:
Ugh... As an English teacher, I'm kind of surprised by the answers presented here. The answer is obvious...

Uh oh, he's not a "common core" fan. :D

Not so far... Although I must admit that the curriculum that my kid's school has adopted for common core seems to be better than most of what I've seen dissed discussed online. I only had to crack open my son's fourth grade math book (online - wow) twice last year to read the section to try and figure out what the hell they were asking him to do.

Also when he first started adding / subtracting multiple digit numbers and wanted me to check his work, I had to show him how I was taught to do it because what common core was doing made no sense to me. I watched him do it the cc way, and it worked in as much as he got the right answer, but my brain just didn't process the method, so I couldn't verify that he was doing the work correctly and not just intuiting the correct answer. To be fair, he learned the "correct" way (ie: they way I was taught) in class shortly after.

/B]
Some from me...

Can God make a rock so heavy that he himself cannot lift it? :p

Short answer, No. God, although technically "all powerful" cannot do things that are not in his nature. Evil is not in his nature and so on. I doubt that a God that can speak a universe (or multiverse) into existence would/could have difficulty with rocks regardless of size.

Right. The mistake comes from adding a deficit to an asset. With those quantities, it just so happens to be off by one dollar, which can drive people crazy.

Some folks have called me an evil bastard for it, but I've used this question countless times when interviewing prospective hirelings for software developer and QA engineer positions. I'm not necessarily looking for the correct answer, though. I use this question to see how well people can react to the unexpected and continue to think logically and avoid stress reactions.

Some folks have called me an evil bastard for it, but I've used this question countless times when interviewing prospective hirelings for software developer and QA engineer positions. I'm not necessarily looking for the correct answer, though. I use this question to see how well people can react to the unexpected and continue to think logically and avoid stress reactions.

Hey, the only way to know if a fruit is rotten inside is to squeeze it and see what comes out.

Short answer, No. God, although technically "all powerful" cannot do things that are not in his nature. Evil is not in his nature and so on. I doubt that a God that can speak a universe (or multiverse) into existence would/could have difficulty with rocks regardless of size.

My usual answer to that question is, "I don't know -- but a better question is: is he powerful enough to save your soul or damn it to hell?"

Ugh... As an English teacher, I'm kind of surprised by the answers presented here. The answer is obvious...

Well, I wouldn't say it is exactly "obvious!"

I don't know what the answer is, but I am going to guess that it is not about the three different words "to", "two" and "too." I think that has got to be a misdirection, because otherwise the question is being asked incorrectly.

Back