Answer this

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I'm not.

A bull calf was born on a farm. Every day the farmer would lift the calf ten times over his head. By the time the bull was full grown, the farmer could still lift him. And you know what that is? That's a lot of bull!

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could Chuck Norris?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

To me, the obvious answer is, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition." :kill:

Like the prostitute that was coming up for parole and offered to sleep with ahy board member who would vote to free her. But she was told she couldn't end a sentence with a proposition.

"Where you from?"
"Somewhere we the teach people not to end a sentence with a preposition."
"Where you from, bitch?"

Here's another one:

Three men enter a hotel and request a room. The clerk says it will be $30, so each man gives him $10. They go to their room.

The clerk relaizes he made a mistake and overcharged them; the room should have cost $25. He calls a bell boy, gives him five $1 bills, and asks him to take the money to the three men.

One the way, the bell boy realizes that the men don't know about the mistake. So he keeps $2 for himself, and gives the men $3.

So each man ended up paying $9 for the room. 3 X $9 = $27 The beel boy kept $2. $27 + $2 = $29

What happened to the other $1?

--------------------------

And then there's the famous Pinocchio Paradox. It is impossible for Pinocchio to say, "My nose is growing."

Nothing happened to it, it doesn't exist :p $30 minus the $3 refunded = $27, so they did each pay 9 dollars. But you are trying to add 2 to get back to 30, you need to subtract the 2 kept by the bellboy to get to the actual room price of $25.

Ugh... As an English teacher, I'm kind of surprised by the answers presented here. The answer is obvious...

Ok, let's hear it. I'm pretty sure the question (at least in written form) is complete baloney. But let's here you're "obvious" answer.

With the hotel room there wouldn't be $1 left... It's obvious without doing any math....

Nothing happened to it, it doesn't exist :p $30 minus the $3 refunded = $27, so they did each pay 9 dollars. But you are trying to add 2 to get back to 30, you need to subtract the 2 kept by the bellboy to get to the actual room price of $25.
OK, Its not the room,its the $30 There is no $30 cuz they got a buck back, so we are working with the $27 and the room cost of $25. And the tip of $2. Sure makes more sense than the way I explained it,which I do believe now, was a bit off. :facepalm:
At least Ill be ready the next time someone throws this mind game out at me.

Homonym and homophone are synonyms. Go figure.

Homonyns have the same spelling and different meanings.

A pair of homonyms are homophones if they have the same pronunciation. But, homophones like "two," "to," and "too" are not homonyms because they are spelled differently.

-- Roger

Last edited:
I'm still puzzling over this one. After 40 years, are you absolutely positive you have written the riddle in EXACTLY the same way it was written for you? Alost all riddles hinge on the exact wording, because sometimes they are relying on a word having multiple meanings, so the question is not the question you think it is at first. And sometimes they are relying on misdirection, so a part of the question is irrelevant. If the riddle is not asked the right way, it cannot be answered. Often, if you've heard a riddle and not figured it out, you might ask someone else to solve it, but you rephrase it based on your own mis-interpretation of the misdirection.

For example, if the questions were:

There are three ways to spell the word "to". What is the proper way to the end that sentence?

Then one possible answer would be "with a period." (Or with a quotation mark, depending on your style rules!) I'm not saying that is how your riddle is supposed to be phrased or that this is the right answer. I'm just saying the exact wording matters.

I think he told it correctly. But, I think it is meant to be spoken, not written. When written, the ambiguity caused by the homophone disappears.

Though you do provide a good response that an English teacher might use to help students remember that the punctuation goes inside the quotes.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Oh I know this one! It's because when it was originally created it was called theDwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. So that's part of the defense part

Nate

Well, I wouldn't say it is exactly "obvious!"

I don't know what the answer is, but I am going to guess that it is not about the three different words "to", "two" and "too." I think that has got to be a misdirection, because otherwise the question is being asked incorrectly.

You're with me on this. The Question being Phrased incorrectly makes it a Trick Question.
If I was to read the Words in the Script of a Book or Novel, I would expect to see each word Spelled to allow me to assume the intended inflection of each Word.
The Question, when asked, especially in Print Form, must include an Individual Instance of each Word with its correct Spelling.

Homonyns have the same spelling and different meanings.

A pair of homonyms are homophones if they have the same pronunciation. But, homophones like "two," "to," and "too" are not homonyms because they are spelled differently.

-- Roger

Not exactly. A homonym can be a homophone or a homograph, which is what you are thinking of. https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homonym?s=t

The seller doesn't want it, the buyer doesn't need it, and the user can't see it.. what is it?

"not a trick question, just hard. all the talk about homophones made me remember this"

What are two words that are homophones, that can have opposite meanings, and spelled differently.

Not exactly. A homonym can be a homophone or a homograph, which is what you are thinking of. https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homonym?s=t

In casual usage, "homonym" is used as a synonym for "homophone" (as the reference you cited states in the first definition). But, the second definition is the one that is correct in a technical context, a homonym is "a word that is both a homophone and a homograph." "Two," "to," and "too" are not homographs, so they are technically not homonyms.

Normally, I wouldn't pick on someone for interchanging the words in a casual discussion, but I was being pedantic on purpose because it seemed appropriate for this discussion.

-- Roger

Last edited:
A cabin is in the woods, and half of it is burned. The only occupant is dead. There are no roads leading up to the cabin, and thick brush prevents passage through the woods. What happened?

A cabin is in the woods, and half of it is burned. The only occupant is dead. There are no roads leading up to the cabin, and thick brush prevents passage through the woods. What happened?

It's a plane crash, and the cabin is an airplane cabin.

In casual usage, "homonym" is used as a synonym for "homophone" (as the reference you cited states in the first definition). But, the second definition is the one that is correct in a technical context, a homonym is "a word that is both a homophone and a homograph." "Two," "to," and "too" are not homographs, so they are technically not homonyms.

Normally, I wouldn't pick on someone for interchanging the words in a casual discussion, but I was being pedantic on purpose because it seemed appropriate for this discussion.

-- Roger

I had to chime in...
"Homo-" means "same"
"-nym" means "name"
"graph" means "write" (in this case, to spell)
"phone" means sound.
Therefore, a homograph is a word that it's spelled the same as another word but sounds differently with a different meaning "lead a horse to water with a lead pipe"...
Homophone is a word that sounds the same despite different spellings "They're driving their car over there."
In some nerdy circles, a homonym has to be both a homograph and a homophone. However, since the meaning of words change over time and people have generally lost this specific meaning of the word homonym. If you're a descriptive grammarian like I am, then homonym can refer to a word that is either a homophone, homograph, or the traditional homonym.
Sorry. I apologize for geeking out.

Back