Favorite quotes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Debating __________ is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, crap on the board, and generally act like it won the game." -Anonymous

one of my favorite:

I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.

one of my favorite:

I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.

Followed by: "None of the e-mails I received were marked classified."

Really guys? You are going to ruin a fun and inspirational thread with his kind of crap. How about leaving it out of this thread, and you go start your own thread called, "Snarky ways to throw politicians' stupid comments back in their faces"? I would love that thread. I have a million of those! It just seems like it ruins the spirit and vibe of this one.

Really guys? You are going to ruin a fun and inspirational thread with his kind of crap. How about leaving it out of this thread, and you go start your own thread called, "Snarky ways to throw politicians' stupid comments back in their faces"? I would love that thread. I have a million of those! It just seems like it ruins the spirit and vibe of this one.

Really Thirsty...

"What difference at this point does it make?"...

While it is important to remember you should try not to sweat the petty things, it is more important that you do not pet the sweaty things

- Unattributed

“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and Tequila.”

― Mitch Ratcliffe

Really Thirsty...

"What difference at this point does it make?"...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not saying these kinds of things aren't funny. I have at least 150 of them from this election alone. I'm saying it isn't in the spirit of the thread and is just going to poison something that has been fun for everyone so far.

"Engineering is the science of good enough." Prof. Janssen (my materials prof in college)

"Learn from others' mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself." Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Last edited:
""Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYN's aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country."—Sept. 6, 2004, Poplar Bluff, Mo.

Not saying these kinds of things aren't funny. I have at least 150 of them from this election alone. I'm saying it isn't in the spirit of the thread and is just going to poison something that has been fun for everyone so far.

I couldn't agree more. So here's my entry:

"Was he...aroused?"
Ed Bradley, CBS 60 Minutes

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

One of my favorites comes from Wernher Von Braun.

"Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing."

David

"Admit nothing.....deny,deny,deny.....everything!'

"They know I was here.............. just never been caught"

"Rocketry an exact science...........but not exactly!!"

all mine Cj

I like the "imagery" of this:

"High up in the North in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. When the rock has thus been worn away, then a single day of eternity will have gone by." - Hendrik Willem Van Loon

"Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." A. A. Milne

"The easiest part of the face to draw is the eye. The hardest part of the face to draw is the other eye." -Heard from my kid. I don't know where he got it.

“This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don’t give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that’s all we wanted to do.”
-Woody Guthrie (Copyright For This Land is Your Land)

"Spaceflight will never tolerate carelessness, incapacity, and neglect" Gene Kranz

I am always teased to use this when someone lawndart a rocket, but I never do it out of compassion.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.– Steven Wright

Acceptance
Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.
When I am disturbed,
It is because I find some person, place, thing, situation --
Some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me,
And I can find no serenity until I accept
That person, place, thing, or situation
As being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake.
Unless I accept life completely on life's terms,
I cannot be happy.
I need to concentrate not so much
On what needs to be changed in the world
As on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

I don't know who wrote this,,
But I do like it...

Teddy

A therapist once asked me, "Are you angry because of what they did, or are you angry because they didn't do what *you* expected them to do? You can't change his behavior, but you can change your expectations."

I've often been reminded of that. It's useful advice in a great many situations.

Back