Favorite quotes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

Ooh, I like that. I'm going to have to use that somewhere.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Dirty Harry Callahan in "Magnum Force" (1973)

A man is what he thinketh. ....James Allen https://jamesallen.wwwhubs.com/think.htm

Thought in the mind hath made us. What we are
By thought we wrought and built. If a man's mind
Hath evil thoughts, pain comes on him as comes
The wheel the ox behind . . . If one endure in purity
of thought joy follows him as his own shadow - sure.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.
-- George S. Patton

Dont eat yellow snow.
Dont pee into the wind.
Dog smells its own hole.
Whoever smelt it, dealt it. Woof-woof..:lol:

Last edited:
“Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.”― Mark Twain

"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him" - Groucho Marx

From one of my smaller quotes files on this drive:

“One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.” – Aldous Huxley – Brave New World

“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

“Scratch the surface of most cynics and you find a frustrated idealist — someone who made the mistake of converting his ideals into expectations.”
- Peter M. Senge

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts." - Richard Feynman

"Through this and other experiences I began to discern one of the elements of an education: get as near to the supposed masters and commanders as you can and see what stuff they are really made of. As I watched famous scholars and professors flounder here and there, I also, in my career as a speaker at the Oxford Union, had a chance to meet senior ministers and parliamentarians “up close” and dine with them before as well as drink with them afterward, and be amazed once again at how ignorant and sometimes plain stupid were the people who claimed to run the country. This was an essential stage of my formation and one for which I am hugely grateful." - Christopher Hitchens

Illegitimi non carborundum - "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

"If the Government were placed in charge of the Sahara Desert, they would run out of sand in 5 years." - Milton Friedman

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.” - Mark Twain

“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” - Hamlet (1.5.167-8)

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” - Daniel J. Boorstin

"In general, we look for a new law by the following process: First we guess it; then we compute the consequences of the guess to see what would be implied if this law that we guessed is right; then we compare the result of the computation to nature, with experiment or experience, compare it directly with observation, to see if it works. If it disagrees with experiment, it is wrong. In that simple statement is the key to science. It does not make any difference how beautiful your guess is, it does not make any difference how smart you are, who made the guess, or what his name is—if it disagrees with experiment, it is wrong." - Richard Feynman

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.” - Thomas Edison

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816

"We always want the best man to win an election. Unfortunately, he never runs.” - Will Rogers

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

“At the end of the day, the king and pawn go back to the same box.” — Omar from “The Wire”

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” — Arthur C. Clarke

“Keep cool. Never freeze.” — bottle of mayonnaise

“A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd.” — Max Lucado

“Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in a long-shot.” — Charlie Chaplin

“A ship in harbor is safe, but that’s not why ships are built.” — fortune cookie

“Warning: Everything saved will be lost.” – Wii console notification

1. "Hurt people hurt people and blessed people bless people."
2. "Judge me by the enemies I have made."

Unfortunately, both attributed to multiple people.

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. Albert Einstein

"To judge a mans character, look at his friends." ~ Japaneses proverb

"Speed is a poor substitute for quality" ~fortune cookie

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

TA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" -- Isaac Asimov

The time has come the Walrus said to talk of many things, of shoes, of ships, of sealing wax, of cabbages and kings, and
why the sea is boiling hot and weather pigs have wings!

Lewis Carol

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

"Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom."
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"There is much pleasure gained from useless knowledge."
- Bertrand Russel

"LOVE - A temporary insanity curable by marriage."
- Ambrose Bierce

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
- Walter Winchell

"Cowards may die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."
- William Shakespeare

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
- Linus from 'Peanuts'

"One of the advantages to being disorganized is one is always making exciting discoveries."
- AA Milne

"Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail."
- Jack Handey, Saturday Night Live

"Virtue is like the polar star, which keeps its place, and all stars turn toward it."
- Confucius

"You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra

"Man's mind stretched by a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

"I asked a Burmese man why women, after centuries of following their men, now walked ahead. He said there were many unexploded land mines since the war."
- Robert Mueller

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends."
- Oscar Wilde

"Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed."
- Albert Einstein

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
- Samuel Johnson

"Most people who fail in their dream fail not from lack of ability but from lack of commitment."
- Zig Ziglar

"Without a humble imitation of the divine Author of our blessed religion, we can never hope to be a happy nation."
- George Washington

John Stuart Mill
Of his own free will
After half-a-bottle Shandy
Felt particularly ill

Plato, they say
Could stick it away
Half a quart of Whiskey
Ev'ry day.

Aristotle, Aristotle
Was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram
And Renee Descartes
Was a drunken fart
"I drink therefore I am"...

~Bruces Skit--Monty Phython's Flying Circus

Last edited:
"Dude, you need to be careful with those rockets. If you're not, you could like totally blow yourself up or something. I heard those motors you use are just sticks of black powder. More like bombs if you ask me" ~ My stepdads very unknowledgeable friend (to remain unnamed)

"You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra

Ah! My favorite Yogi quote is: "No one goes to Yankee stadium any more. It's too crowded!"

Search for 'Dorothy Parker quotes'. She was a riot. For example:

I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.

More of a story than a quote, but I still love it.

At a party, Winston Churchill noticed this woman giving him disapproving looks and when she noticed his gaze, she came over to him and said "Sir, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your drink." Winston replied, " Lady, if I were your husband, I would drink it."

Churchill's other party exchange:

Bessie Braddock: "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk. "
Winston Churchill: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly."

(Some sources have Lady Astor as his opponent in this exchange, as well as the one about the poison.)

Latest posts

Back