Favorite quotes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Related quote: "In marriage you can be right, or you can be happy"

"There are three rules for a husband to have a happy marriage:
First, budget the luxuries first.
Second, see to it she has her own desk, and keep your hands off of it.
Third, in any disagreement, of any type, if you are right, apologize immediately"
~Robert Heinlein, from "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."
~Richard Bach, "Illusions"

"If you want my view of history, there's something you should know. The three men I admire most are Curly, Larry, Moe."
~Jim Steinman

One of my favorite poems is Shel Silverstein's "The Devil and Billy Markham".
While it can be a bit profane in it's language and imagery, "Uncle Shel" had a way of dropping a bombshell when you didn't expect it.:wink:

John Stuart Mill
Of his own free will
After half-a-bottle Shandy
Felt particularly ill

Plato, they say
Could stick it away
Half a quart of Whiskey
Ev'ry day.

Aristotle, Aristotle
Was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram
And Renee Descartes
Was a drunken fart
"I drink therefore I am"...

~Bruces Skit--Monty Phython's Flying Circus

"Socrates himself is particulary missed.
A lovely little thinker,
but a booger when he's p***ed."

Last edited:
Exchange between a reporter and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach John McKay:

Reporter: " What do you think of your offense's execution?"

McKay: "I'm all for it."

1976, when they went went 0-16 (and again the following year....)

Still have my original orange and white Bucs ball cap. I'm from St. Pete originally and always love that quote!

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Also from murkwurdigliebe, I mean Strangelove, "Animals could be bred.....then schlautered!" and "there would be a ratio of 10 females to every male" and "much time, very little to do." Oh, and the final line, "Mein Fuhrer, I can valk!"

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

My favorite movie quotes come from "Hellboy".

4) "I'm gonna be sore in the mornin" ".

3) "Six security guards, plus boots and belts. Man you're gonna need some heavy fiber to move that out".

2) "Hey, you, on the other side, let her go. Because for her I'll cross over, then you'll be sorry".

1) "they must be here for the sheep".

"I would rather have wrinkles in my face from smiling too much, than deep furrows from always frowning." *The Me :D.* When constantly asked... What i was smiling about?

"P!$$ in a bottle or P!$$ in bag...keep that door shut, because we aren't stopping until we get there or run out of fuel". *The Me again :D." My standard speech to trainees i take out in my Semi Truck...on rare occasions.

Sometimes i can be found wandering aimlessly around the Women's clothing section of a Store/Dept. Store and, the inevitable question "Can i help you find something :confused:" is said by a Saleswoman....

I always say. "Yes, 5'-3" tall, reddish/gray hair, set in her ornery German ways and, says *Nicht!* in my direction alot.....I can't see her above the clothing racks...."

Best i can do without getting a few days earned off from the forum. :rolleyes:

Saw this on a sign in a store

Marriage is like a deck of cards.
In the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond.
By the end you wish you had a club and a spade

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

John Sedgwick (September 13, 1813 – May 9, 1864) Union Army general in the American Civil War. He was shot moments later under the left eye and fell down dead.

Holy cow!! Didnt realise this thread was still alive! I think this is record size for one of my threads! Thanks for all the replies!

heres another good quote: Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.- Isaac Asimov

just a few of my favorites...more to come later

"true freedom is not advanced in a permissive society, which confuses freedom with liscense to do anything whatever and which in the name of freedom proclaims a kind of general amorality. It is a caricature of freedom to claim that people are free to organize their lives with no reference to moral values, and to say that society does not have to ensure the protection and advancement of ethical values. such an attitude is destructive of freedom and peace"

--Pope John Paul II

"the rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the later cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles"

--Jeff cooper

"logic dictates: if gun owners were as violent as anti-gunners say they are,... there would be no anti-gunners"

Per aspera ad astra (especially for this group!)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert Heinlein

My email siggy:

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines (Steven Wright)
Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once.

And another favorite:

The rocket was completely fine until it hit the ground (describing a lawn dart I had at Freedom Launch).

Per aspera ad astra (especially for this group!)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert Heinlein
The Heinlein quote has always been one of my favorites. I just love Starship Trooper :)

My favorite quote from engineer and visionary Burt Rutan...

"People will eventually realize that the correct approach is to use the lowest technology that will do the mission, not the highest." -Burt Rutan

Wherever you go, there you are....

My favorite quote from engineer and visionary Burt Rutan...

"People will eventually realize that the correct approach is to use the lowest technology that will do the mission, not the highest." -Burt Rutan

Man he hit the nail on the head. That is about perfect. It's my personal goal is to try to simplify everything I do. It's not a simple task.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts." - Richard Feynman

Two from Wolfgang Pauli:

"It is not only not right, it is not even wrong,"

and

"What you said was so confused that one could not tell whether it was nonsense or not."

Also one from Dr. R. L. Moore:

"What, if anything, do you supposed that person had on his mind, if any?"

Two from Wolfgang Pauli:

"It is not only not right, it is not even wrong,"

and

"What you said was so confused that one could not tell whether it was nonsense or not."

Also one from Dr. R. L. Moore:

"What, if anything, do you supposed that person had on his mind, if any?"

Now I'm all confused :what:

“In theory, many things are possible. In reality, many things don’t work”

“Patience is not a virtue; Patience is the fifth Halliwell sister”

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and supporting your government when it deserves it."
-Mark Twain

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
-Albert Einstein

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I do not agree with what you have to say. But I'll defend to the death your right to say it"
- Voltaire

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
-George Washington

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
-George Orwell

"A patriot must be ready to defend his country against his government."
-Edward Abbey

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
- V (V For Vendetta)

"We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves."
-Marilyn Manson

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone."
-Rose Kennedy

"There is not a righteous man on Earth who does what is right and never sins."
-Ecclesiastes 7:20

"Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord."
-Romans 12:19

"Try again, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

"Try not. do or do not. There is no try"
-Yoda

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself."
-William Faulkner

“Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.”
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

“If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.”
-Sir Ken Robinson

“Nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful people with talent, leave the house before you find something worth staying in for.”
-Banksy

“A true friend stabs you in the front.”
-Oscar Wilde

“Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it’s in my basement, let me go upstairs and check”
-M.C. Escher

"The truth is sometimes so precious that it must be surrounded by a bodyguard of lies."
- Winston Churchill

[h=1]The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.[/h]

Anyone who says nothing is impossible, has never tried to slam a revolving door- fogot who

my mother was fond of saying, 'just try and gargle with your mouth closed'. to the nothing is impossible crowd.
Rex

Back