Favorite quotes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Beauty is truth and truth, beauty.
That is all ye know on earth
And all ye need to know." -Keats

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." -Keats

Favorite poet: James Wright, John Keats, Percy Bysshe Shelley, and more

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
--Jeff Cooper

Teddy

One of my favorites:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

- Robert Frost

And another poem:

For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon:

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

I like the imagery of this one:

High up in the North in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and ahundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. When the rock has thus been worn away, then a single day of eternity will have gone by. – Hendrik Willem Van Loon

"Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

- Robert Frost

Definitely a favorite. Thanks for the reminder.

As my instructor told my class yesterday....
"We can't teach you stupid. Y'all do enough of that yourselves."

"A lie doesn't become a truth,
Wrong doesn't become right,
And evil doesn't become good
Just because it's accepted by a majority."
Who knows

Teddy

"Nothing is as good or as bad as first reported" - a USAF Major I once worked for, can't pull up the name after all these years.

JR

We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, but all we need to make us happy, is something to enthusiastic about.

We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, but all we need to make us happy, is something to enthusiastic about.

I really like this one...

Enthusiastic and joyous.....

Teddy

[h=3]"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope... and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."[/h][FONT=&quot]Robert F. Kennedy[/FONT]

"If you need a machine and don't buy it, then you will ultimately find,
You have paid for it...
but don't have it. "
Henry Ford

Teddy

"Customer service: It's when things go wrong that separates the men from the boys." Mike Fisher - Binder Design

Last edited:
Intolerance closes the book of Knowledge and writes on the cover, “Finis! I have learned it all!” Intolerance makes enemies of those who should be friends. It destroys opportunity and fills the mind with doubt, mistrust and prejudice. -Napoleon Hill

"We must hide the truth.. Because we're not adult enough to handle it.." Mark Hayes - Stickershock

1425_3.jpg

Last edited:
"Before one can become filthy rich, one must first become filthy."

Uncle Ted

When it’s all said and done,
you will lament the chances you didn’t take
far more than you will your failures.

Teddy

Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. - Louis L'Amour

Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. - Louis L'Amour

Oh man,,
I really like that one,,
Those are words to live by....

Teddy

Back