Favorite quotes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisterbig

Reaction score
Hey guys,
What are some of your favorite quotes or poems? Here are some of mine:

Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve. -Max Planck

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. - J. Robert Oppenheimer

It will free man from the remaining chains, the chains of gravity which still tie him to this planet. -Wernher Von Braun

Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine. -Nikola Tesla

And my favorite poems are:

Dulce et decorum est by Wilfred Owen

The conquerer worm by Edgar Allan Poe

(These two poems are brilliant IMO, they really are worth taking a look at)

Quotes:

- Short cuts make for long delays
- Done is better than perfect
- Vision without action is daydream. Action without vision is nightmare. ~Japanese proverb
- I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way. ~Robert Frost

Poems:

- The Raven (I know, not very original...)
- Kubilah Khan
- Ulysses

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Burke
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.-Churchill

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Burke
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.-Churchill
I love the Churchill one!

"If bad institutions and bad men can be got rid of only by killing, then the killing must be done."

Here are a couple of my favority quotes:

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the Universe" - Albert Einstein

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probably the reason why so few engage in it" - Henry Ford

My favourite poem would have to be "Deep In Earth" by Edgar Allen Poe:

"Deep in earth my love is lying
And I must weep alone"​

I meant intelligent quotes, but ok

...well, excuse the living s*** out of me, didn't see that criteria in the OP.

And watch when your inferring that someone is un-intelligent, especially when your 3000 miles away.

Now, for another Roy Scheider quote from 'Jaws', "That's one bad hat, Harry."

From one of my older Books, The Young Tyro's Instructer or,The Necessary Rudiments of the English Language, 1838

Lesson 40 reads like a Poem, and I like it because it suggests that a Cat would have Milk and Bread to eat.

Also I like The Cat And The Moon by Yeats.

THE CAT AND THE MOON

by: W. B. Yeats (1865-1939)

HE cat went here and there
And the moon spun round like a top,
And the nearest kin of the moon,
The creeping cat, looked up.
Black Minnaloushe stared at the moon,
For, wander and wail as he would,
The pure cold light in the sky
Troubled his animal blood.
Minnaloushe runs in the grass
Lifting his delicate feet.
Do you dance, Minnaloushe, do you dance?
When two close kindred meet,
What better than call a dance?
Maybe the moon may learn,
Tired of that courtly fashion,
A new dance turn.
Minnaloushe creeps through the grass
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead
Has taken a new phase.
Does Minnaloushe know that his pupils
Will pass from change to change,
And that from round to crescent,
From crescent to round they range?
Minnaloushe creeps through the grass
Alone, important and wise,
And lifts to the changing moon
His changing eyes.

Last edited:
DULCE ET DECORUM EST(1)

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.
Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime.
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

I first read this over 20 years ago and have carried it ever since. Originally written in 1917 I believe.

Make good! Don’t explain! Do the thing you are expected to do! Don’t waste time in giving reasons why you didn’t, or couldn’t, or wouldn’t, or shouldn’t.

If I hire you to cook for me I expect my chops and baked potatoes on time, done to a turn, and appetizing; I am not interested in the butcher’s mistake, nor the stove’s defect, nor the misery of your left arm. I want food, not explanations.

If I hire you to take care of my automobile, or factory, or…counter, I do not want to hear why things are half-done; I want results.

So, also, if you come to me and hire me to do a job of writing by the fifteenth of the month, you do not want me to show up on that day with a moving picture story describing how I couldn’t do what I was paid for. You want the writing, and you want it first-class, all wool and a yard wide.

This is cold, cruel heartless talk. It is to all second-raters and shirkers. But, to real men, it is a joy and gladness. They rejoice to make good themselves, they expect others to make good, and they like to hear preached the gospel of making good…

There you have it. The less you do, the more you explain.

EFFICIENCY!
Learn the word by heart. Get to saying it in your sleep.

Of all the joys on this terrestrial sphere, there is none quite so soul satisfying and so one-hundred-percentish as MAKING GOOD.

Do your work a little better than anyone else could do it. That is the margin of success.

Making good needs no foot-notes.

Failure requires endless explanations.

--Frank Crane, Four-Minute Essays--

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details"

Favorite quote...

"Ask your doctor." Made by multiple drug companies spending million$ advertising products to an audience that cannot legally purchase those products. Brilliant. Sure helps bring down the cost of prescriptions for fixed income seniors.

Not into poetry. Unless I'm drinking heavily...

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

It applies to everyone at some point on some subject, and is therefore very good advice to keep in mind and heed from time to time...unfortunately I should probably apply it more than I do. The above quote in slightly different form is also attributed to Abraham Lincoln and one of the Psalms pending where you look.

No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world. - Robin Williams

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. - Bruce Lee

Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you haven't learned anything. - Muhammad Ali

While physics and mathematics may tell us how the universe began, they are not much use in predicting human behavior because there are far too many equations to solve. I'm am no better than anyone else at understanding what makes people tick, particularly women. - Stephen Hawking

Favorite poem:

The spell of the Yukon. - Robert Service

"It's really a matter of learning the rules first, then seeing which ones you can break."
-Robert Whitley

Granted, he was talking about furniture design at the time, but it pretty much applies to rocketry (and nearly everything else). :D

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

It applies to everyone at some point on some subject, and is therefore very good advice to keep in mind and heed from time to time...unfortunately I should probably apply it more than I do. The above quote in slightly different form is also attributed to Abraham Lincoln and one of the Psalms pending where you look.

It is Proverbs 17:28 - Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

My favorite quotes are from Jesus, as recorded by the Apostle John:

John 3:16-17 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

John 16:33 - I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

And this is a favorite of mine:

Joshua 1:9 - Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

And my favorite poem is this one, by Charitie Lees Bancroft, 1863:

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea,
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased with His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking. —C. S. Lewis

What did you do as a child that made the hours pass like minutes? Herein lies the key to your earthly pursuits. —Carl Jung

Back