Loki Research Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggplant

L3 | NAR 93664, TRA 17791
Reaction score
I just picked up a shiny new Loki 38/480 case and a handful of reloads (2x I405 and 1x I210) that I can't wait to use! I was curious about what other people use for igniters with these reloads, as none are included. I was looking into getting a kit to dip my own from quickburst, but that probably will be later on when I have more reloads stocked up. For now, I am just looking for the cheapest igniter that will work with the engines that I have. I have been thinking about Wildman brand igniters, but didn't know which size to get. Is there any difference other than length? Does anyone have experience using these igniters with Loki 38mm engines, or do you have any other suggestions?

I use Loki hardware for my own loads and use a scrap of propellant taped the igniter head.
Whatever ones you get; make sure they are at least 3 ft long. That will cover pretty much any motor out there except for the 54 mm x 4,000 hardware....

JD

Even though I've got many dip kits, I always forget to use them until it's too late. As a result, I've lit lots of H and I and J motors with little'uns from Wildman's with nearly 100% success. The only time I had one fail was when I set the rocket on the leads because I was too lazy to tape the igniter in; the launch system was powerful enough to melt the insulation off the wires and short circuit the igniter to the pad.

I lit an M with a little'un once too in an act of curiosity and/or desperation. It worked. But I usually use Big'uns for anything K and up.

They work very well!

I just picked up a shiny new Loki 38/480 case and a handful of reloads (2x I405 and 1x I210) that I can't wait to use! I was curious about what other people use for igniters with these reloads, as none are included. I was looking into getting a kit to dip my own from quickburst, but that probably will be later on when I have more reloads stocked up. For now, I am just looking for the cheapest igniter that will work with the engines that I have. I have been thinking about Wildman brand igniters, but didn't know which size to get. Is there any difference other than length? Does anyone have experience using these igniters with Loki 38mm engines, or do you have any other suggestions?

I had 3 launches over the weekend, each using a Loki H or I motor and I lit them with the long-lead lighters that Crazy Jim is selling.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...dual-deploy-ya-need-these&p=650646#post650646

I didn't believe it would work when Rob (Salvage-1) told me about it, but I went three for three with them.

I've used Quickburst, Crazy Jim's, and AT First Fires. Never had any problems that weren't from my doing.

I picked up some starters from Quickburst as well. They work quite well in the Loki loads.

I picked up a quickburst dip kit and tried to dip starters and they were unreliable (layer 8 problem I assure you). One thing that is reliable is to augment an e-match or one of the crappy estes pro-series igniters.

for 38mm motors, I use these a lot:
https://quickburst.net/slim_gem_igniter.htm

check out the fat boys for bigger motors. From Wildman, you want the little-uns for this size motor - Ive used those too, works great.

Or make your own; I do this when I think of it - that is the cheapest, but honestly is a bit of a PITA. There are many threads on TRF on making igniters, or, um, "Motor Starters".
The QuickDip works great, but if you make the non-soldered ones David shows you to make on the site, use them within a week of making them - I found the failure rate went up with time; apparently oxidation of the leads builds up resistance over time. The ones I prefer to make now are soldered, and use an epoxy binder.

Last edited:
I have been using the Twiggy's. I will probably grab some Slim Gem's soon though. Just wait till you see that 405, it kicks like a mule on steroids. Awesome sauce for sure.

Magnelite, G80LW. zoom. Need to build another 38mm and stick an I405 in it :)

14940324302_99dfb150c5.jpg
14754016480_b1497455e7.jpg

speaking of I405's, Mr. (ahem) Hazard found out I405 vs CF saucer still = win for I405
14883066099_0fdb51a273.jpg
14883172818_7b7d00cd14.jpg

Last edited:
I make my own igniters from old igniter wires, 34ga nichrome wire, and materials from Walmart. They burn for about 1 second and throw off burning magnesium shavings so they have worked on everything from G to M motors. I would guesstimate if I used all the materials to make igniters, they would run about $0.05 each or less.

The only issues I found is they have a limited shelf live of about a year, although a friend just fired his research K motor on one that was over 2 years old so it varies.

I fly exclusively Loki and dip my own lighters, I do have access to lots of wire so that part costs me nothing, and I pick up spent wire on the field and reuse what I can. There are some tutorials on Youtube if you are in it for the fun and experience of creating you own lighters. (that can only be discussed in the research section) But if you just want to make the motor go, buy one of the many excellent dip packages that are available.

TA

Back