Types of parachutes -- what, when, and why?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I was looking at Top Flight's site, and I want to replace the cheesy nylon parachute that came with my G-Force. I have some questions:

1. What is a "X-Type" parachute? Is that similar to a Sky Angle?
  2. The stock Aerotech is a 42" nylon circular. The nylon has shredded. I want a similar descent rate. Should I go with a 45" standard; 36" standard; 42" X-Type; or something else from another vendor?
Thanks.

an x-form chute only provides approximately 80% of the drag of a standard chute. to get the same descent rate as a 45" chute you would need a 53" x-form.
Rex

+1 for Top Flight Recovery.

I just bought a set four custom colored chutes from them. They were made and at my door step before some vendors would even know an order was placed! ;)

Batmite , are you measuring 42 across the parachute , or around the base ? A 42 inch parachute seems really big on a 30 oz model.

Eric

Actually, I didn't measure it at all. The G-Force build instructions simply say "42-inch nylon parachute."

So, you think the 36" standard?

looking at the catalog, they list 16", 22", 30", and 42". 30" is a bit small, I would try a TFR PAR36 if it were my rocket.
Rex

Actually, I didn't measure it at all. The G-Force build instructions simply say "42-inch nylon parachute."

So, you think the 36" standard?

Just an FYI, crossfire (aka Gary Pletzer), who responded above, is the owner of Top Flight Recovery.

Greg

Just to put this to rest...

I measured the stock parachute, and it is indeed 42" tip to tip. It is a thin kind of nylon that tends to shred. I already replaced my Sumo's chute with a TFR PAR36, and I think I will do the same with the G-Force.

Thanks, all.

Back