Hey, Missile Works!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Any plans to upscale the AltiCone/Modsled for bigger birds? I am struggling to put an AV Bay in my Leviathan's nose cone, and I'd love to just buy one. ;)

The issue with larger cones is that his supplier is limited in height to ~7". So, your 2.6" nosecone would be a fairly squat 2.7:1 ratio.

Think of ways to take the altitube sled and adapt it to rockets via a 29mm tube.

Have you tried doing the nose cone Coker style ?

Plastic nose should be able to take a CR past the shoulder and then have a bulkhead attach to it.

Kenny

I watched John's video, but I don't have a caliper to take exact measurements. I don't have the equipment to cut my own bulkheads. I don't know where to buy custom bulkheads if I could get an accurate measurement. And my list of struggles goes on.

What I have done is completely cut off the part beneath the shoulder, use a Leviathan coupler (which had to be cute and reglued), and now I have a piece of 1/4" ply that I am going to try to cut with a jigsaw. I'm not expecting it to turn out well.

But if it does, it will be something like this:
NC.jpg

The green is the sled, epoxied to a semicircular cut bulkhead. The CR will fit the iside diameter of the coupler and be epoxied to the coupler. The lower bulkhead will attach to the CR via well nuts and machine screws.

But I am admittedly terrible at customizing things.

The issue with larger cones is that his supplier is limited in height to ~7". So, your 2.6" nosecone would be a fairly squat 2.7:1 ratio.

Think of ways to take the altitube sled and adapt it to rockets via a 29mm tube.

This ^^^^

Sometime in the not-to-distant future we'll be adapting the 29mm S.M.A.R.T. Sleds to other tube diameters (38mm for sure) via a printed bulkhead design,
There's also the possibility of a 54mm cone design in a short-aspect.

I watched John's video, but I don't have a caliper to take exact measurements. I don't have the equipment to cut my own bulkheads. I don't know where to buy custom bulkheads if I could get an accurate measurement. And my list of struggles goes on.

What I have done is completely cut off the part beneath the shoulder, use a Leviathan coupler (which had to be cute and reglued), and now I have a piece of 1/4" ply that I am going to try to cut with a jigsaw. I'm not expecting it to turn out well.

But if it does, it will be something like this:
View attachment 182743

The green is the sled, epoxied to a semicircular cut bulkhead. The CR will fit the iside diameter of the coupler and be epoxied to the coupler. The lower bulkhead will attach to the CR via well nuts and machine screws.

But I am admittedly terrible at customizing things.

Bat-mite
Do you have a Harbor Freight close by? If you do they have a $10 6" digital caliper that works pretty well for the things most rocketeers need it for. The one I picked up does Decimal Inch, Fractional Inch and Metric. Just saying low cost digital calipers are available and once you have a set the uses you will find for them is infinite.

Bat-mite
Do you have a Harbor Freight close by? If you do they have a $10 6" digital caliper that works pretty well for the things most rocketeers need it for. The one I picked up does Decimal Inch, Fractional Inch and Metric. Just saying low cost digital calipers are available and once you have a set the uses you will find for them is infinite.

I am getting alot of mileage out of my HF drill press and bench belt/disc sander

John,

. From what I've read, CNC Upscale does nice custom work.

I'd be happy to help out. A Canadian customer of ours had us do some bulkheads ala John Coker's design. A short section of airframe can be inlet into a circular dado on the backside of a bulkhead.

Feel free to PM here, the website thing is STILL under consideration... or did I mean construction? :facepalm:

Nat Kinsey
UpscaleCNC

Bat-mite

I do. Thanks for the idea. If I am unsuccessful cutting the pieces myself with a jigsaw, then I will probably get one.

Back