Next HPR build - thinking about treating myself to a kit. Opinions please, not onions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so as a BAR, one of the things I've enjoyed the most is buying a ton of parts, then figuring out how to make something from them. Or sometimes in the the other order (I understand that this method is called planning, but I don't think it's ever going to really catch on). This extended to my L1 certification rocket. I 2x upscaled (with permission) a FlisKits Corona. Beautiful rocket, has some serious stability issues with H motors. I've got another thread dedicated to that issue.

Same holds true for my current build pile. I've got a King Kraken that's about halfway done, and a complete scratch-build based on some really cool fins from 3D Rocketry.

Now, I have a birthday coming up. I'm thinking that if I ask nicely (and contribute some additional $), maybe I can get myself a nice kit. And maybe some time to work on it.

A kit would be a change, in that a) someone else has done all the hard work of figuring out what works with what and done all the tricky bits like slotting the tubes, b) said someone else has included all of the fiddly bits needed without me having to chase them all down, and c) I could move up to fiberglass, which I've not played with before. And of course I might wind up going for my L2, depending on what I get.

My preliminary candidates are:

They are listed in order of current preference, although the Talon and Eagle are just about tied. I know the last one isn't in the same category as the other three, but it just looks so awesome (got to see one IRL at NARAM 56)!

Of course, there are tons of other rockets out there that I haven't included on the list, possibly because I haven't seen them yet. Feel free to suggest a favorite. Or maybe going smaller, like a Talon 2 or a Darkstar Jr. Whew! What a nice dilemma!

And as always, please play nice. I'd like to hear what is good about each kit, not why "Th4t Rkt iz teh SuXX0r!!!"

Last edited:
I have none of the above and thus cannot make a suggestion, but the other places to look are Mad Cow, Apogee, Rocketry Warehouse, BlastCap, and Public Missiles Systems.

Good luck!

I would recommend one of the Wildman Juniors. My personnel favourite is the Shape Shifter (link to the build in my signature). Out of the ones you've listed I would go with the Eagle Claw 4.

My vote is on the Talon 3.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

I built a Fiberglass rocket for my L1 cert, and just completed my first Dual Deployment with that rocket. I'm just starting an L2 build.

Pick what you love, and have fun building..

Last edited:
Ah the age old question.....what to purchase.

Here is what I suggest - sit and think about these items:

Is there something specific I want to accomplish with my next rocket (break mach, specific altitude, specific impulse, certify, etc)?
What new thing do I want to learn from this build?
What is my budget?
Are there purchases I would need to make for this to work (for instance - do you need to get laminating epoxy and fiberglass, need to get an altimeter or tracker, etc, etc)
What design "flicks my bic" this week?

There are just so many rockets out there to choose from - not including scratch building! I think that once you get an idea of the general questions above the solution will present itself for you. From what you're saying it sounds like a L2 bird is in the cards for you - which is fantastic! There are a lot of awesome L2 rockets out there. You have a good number on your list. Personally, I LOVE the look of the velociraptor! That is what I'd choose if this was mine (assuming you can't get something from BaddA) but look around!

Good luck!

Great list so far. It's too bad for us Eric is going out his quality of machining was top notch I grabbed all four of his mini missiles just before he decided to close shop. I have Wildman's mini eagle claw and 3" limited DarkStar, also GLRs Mariah 38 and Binders Devastator Retro.

Three more for your list from Proline and Garry T. They have some really nice high end kits, both in design, quality of components and machining. I have too many unfinished kits to justify another but I keep drooling over their Arcas and now Garry is killing me with the Dominator 3. The full scale Arcas is a bit pricey but that is one nice kit. Then there is Garry T's PK3, I have this kit and it's a bit bare but the bones are there, the components are top quality and I just love the look.

Wait, Eric isn't going to be manufacturing anymore? Dang, the machining on his kits is beautiful...

I can speak for Binder Designs... I've got one (2.6" Dragonfly) built (not painted), and my L1 is based on one of their 4" body tubes. Mike has been very responsive to me and my questions, and (since I live close to him) was actually willing to deliver my body tube and parts in person, rather than charge shipping. I doubt that he can do that for everyone, but it speaks to his level of service.

Binder Design Velociraptor... All the way man!

Hmmm... This question continues to bother me. Want to get something before the birthday $ disappears, don't think I've got time in the immediate future to do something like this. (Start a new, complex build).

What to do, what to do...

Currently, I'm leaning toward a Wildman Darkstar Jr. With maybe a Giant Leap tailcone motor retainer.

Hmmmm....

Back