monster L3 10" tube fin build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, fyi. Lowes and Home Depot DO NOT sell Sono-tube, they sell Quick Tube, very inferior quality. Sono-tube is much better. Chris, just in case you don't know regarding Sono-tube, it has a number printed on the tube. If the number is underlined, that is the outer tube. If not underlined, it will slide into the underlined tube. Great for couplers.

Yes I knew about the under line . But it's real sono tube and it's coming as 12' tubes . Will make the two couplers one for the av bay and one for the nose . Both made under size by 1/16 " and glass both inside and out to fit .

Just a update . I have not had the time to start the build yet . But should start in a few weeks between work and life everything should calm down and start . Thanks Chris

I would add at least one layer of 6 oz fiberglass and 1 layer of 3 oz fiberglass to the tubes but especially the tube fins.

Chuck yes I will thinking it should only add 3-4 lbs . If my calculations are right ( say 6oz is 6 oz per yard plus about the same weight for the resin. But have not figured what the weight will be . Thinking I will glass to where the fins will go then the fins and then. The section behind the fins think that was 12" but have to recheck. The fin section will be glasses just like air frame continuous wrap

Ok so I'm starting soon the motor I was thinking of using is now being sold . May just go with a Loki case . Ok question how would I fig how much glass I would need . The circumference of the tube ? That is 31.41" I will order difference widths to keep waste down right now less motor the weight of air frame is 37.2 lbs with bulk heads av bay and electronics and both chutes and harness with the M1350 I could be at 60lbs 5:1 thinking two wraps of 6oz and a Vail would add no more than 4lbs

Last edited:
Why is motor choice out? PM me with a number I can call. I will be in Frankfort Monday night or tuesday morn.

Had an idea today for the nose cone . So there running cable underground around me and I see the big orange cones marking there holes . I flipped one upside down and the diameter is 10" . So use one as a form . I can find one cheap . Two layers of glass on the inside let it cure and pop it out . Few layers on the outside and have a big cone that's hollow and light . Any thoughts ?

Just use the cone as your cone. It will help to warn others of danger :rofl:

That's a good idea , but it may be hard to paint . And for the record I have only had one rocket that has crashed . Due to a miscalculation.

It wasn't a dig on your flight history, just an opportunity to be a smart a$$. I would say that if the inside of the cone works as a properly sized mold. Go for it. It would seem like a good way to keep a nice uniform shape.

Well I was going to mold out my nose cone ,come to find out I was just about out of fiberglass . So just did a test piece and used a big trash bag blown up to keep it tight . So need to order some glass and figure out how many yards I will need for the fins and air frame

46 posts on a "build thread" and no building yet.

More building and less "I am/was going to do......"

Beep beep boop boop

Popped out of its mold . Was still green then put out the outside of the mold " big traffic cone " there will be four to five layers of glass on the outside . Will have pictures of everything when I can

Ok picture are not loading yet ,but when they do you will see how this form is being made . Still have not found the right tubes for this a match pair . More are on order . The nose cone will have a 2" dowel in the top to form the point . One layer that is the inside and the other 5 layers will be on the out side total thickness will be around a 1/4 " of glass . .765lbs on the cone now with the other layers the bottom of the cone out of 12"length of sono tube and coupler and the 6" of the dowel . Total weight will be 8lbs minus the bulk plates if all layers of the 6oz glass is about the same may go a little over that due the bag that was inflated inside to do the form . Hope to have pictures up soon

IMAG0184.jpg this is the form that was pulled out of the traffic cone one layer of 6 oz 26 inch tall and just over 10.25 in diameter . the coupler will go in and the base of the cone will slide on with layers of the tube peeled off then the 6 or so layers of glass will go over it all . the top is 2 in and a tip will go there before all the glass .

Last edited:
1416695418123.jpg the cone had a very large trash bag in it . to compress the glass and to get the voids out . dint happen very well but this is the inside and will have 6 layers on the out side . it is hard to tell but that is what is going on en it was green . it was taking awhile to cure so but whole thing inside of another bag and put it inside . I pulled the cone out when it was still green . no was or release was used or needed . baby powder the outside of the traffic cone and let it cure

This build is not dead , just taking a break . Lot of things going on buying land ,building a house and my health

I hope your health isn't anything serious. Good to see you back.

Thanks . Thinking they got it under control. Just waiting for a field to open up

I'm hoping sometime this summer I will start building again

OK I have been gone way to long . I need to get building my do a 4-5 inch to recert

Back