Community Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
John Partridge (peartree) made a facebook post today that got me thinking...

There are folks out there in need of food, and local food pantries help families get through tough times.

For those so inclined, you might consider a donation to your local pantry. Just a little encouragement -- food pantries often get lots of food around the holidays, but during times like now, they're often running very low.

For those interested, here's a link to what John posted that got me thinking about this.

-Kevin

So True.
As I've stated many times,I work at Dartmouth College.
Every holiday season the ole decorated cardboard box gets put out for food donations.
Then after the season ,it gets put away.
Im scheduled to get back to work (been ill) on Sept 2cnd.
I'm going to mention this to the higher ups and suggest that a "summer" box gets put out.
Of course,we are just coming into (shortly) this years season,so dont know about the box coming out now.
Hey,it wont hurt to ask. They (College) are pretty good about helping people out.They do alot in different ways.
From money,and food drives, to all kinds of volunteer work,assistant living, ect.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin.

For whatever reason, although donations for the food pantry are typically slow over the summer, we normally have fewer clients come on distribution days. But not this year. While we normally give out 40-50 boxes of food (each month) during June, July and August, this year so many people came that we were giving out more than 100 boxes each month. What we are giving out far exceeds what is being donated so we are drawing from our cash reserves to buy groceries. Thankfully, our donors have been generous and we actually *have* some cash reserves, but at the rate we're going, they won't last forever. From what I have read, this is common at food pantries all over the country so please check with your local folks and see what they need.

Food Pantry Empty.jpg Normally our shelves are pretty full, but this is what they looked like after our July distribution day.

Thanks Kevin-It's always a good reminder to us that others can fall on hard times thru no fault of thier own. My In-laws just went thru the Napa Valley quake, so we're a little sensitized about donating and helping out our fellow citizens. It's only 1 extra can in the shopping cart and if your kid came to you and said "Daddy, I'm hungry", what would you do? Food banks often need somebody with a truck or a van to pick up donations to deliver to the central warehouse when somebody offers to donate but can't deliver. I can't move really heavy boxes, but I can sort and stuff bags or boxes for distribution days, and several hands make light work.

John, what are the types of food that pantries, or yours in particular, need the most?

In the link in Troj's first post... if you follow it far enough.. there was a list. I have recopied it below to make it easier to find. I imagine that most food pantries are pretty similar. Non-perishable food is preferred, but, if you know when they are open, they may also appreciate extra garden produce. Some do, some don't. Our church has a garden where we grow a few extra things that we can give away on distribution day and fresh tomatoes disappear pretty fast.

Many of you ask what items do we need? Our pantry shelves hold cereal, canned vegetables, soups, canned fruit, canned meat, peanut butter, jelly, canned pasta (spaghetti-o's or ravioli), mac and cheese, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, canned beans, Hamburger Helper, Ramen Noodles, baking goods, snacks and other breakfast item (oatmeal, pancake mix, pop tarts). We also try to carry baby food, diapers and formula for the littlest members in our community.

We also occasionally have a few things like toothpaste, soap, shampoo and other personal care items. Usually not enough for everyone, but enough to give out to the folks we know really need and appreciate it.

The timing for this could not be better. Down here in South Florida we are very seasonal and during the summer our local food bank supplies are very low. our food pantry which actually sees an increase in need during the summer is in very short supply. We are always scrambling for food and personal items from March to November. Now would be a great time to donate and I thank all who do.

Where I live ,food pantrys are critical to a large part of the community.I know very few people that haven't used them at some point,myself included. Our local grocer (not a chainstore)has a shopping cart at the end of the checkout line where people can put food items in for donation. Most of the local churches will also take food in as well. Great Job by the OP for posting on this

Back