LOC 4-29 ss - cluster igniter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to do a lot of clusters, I highly recommend getting into these, each kit will literally make hundreds of igniters - https://www.rocketflite.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=61 Longer wires are better. I've got 24's, wish I got 48's.

Here's my successful G76G flight. I put the red caps over the wires so they stay inside until the motor comes up to pressure. I'm not sure how the balance is on the 4-29, but mine hooks drastically on one motor. Still a safe flight, with safe ejection, but much less than ideal. I make sure to load on the pad so that if either motor comes up alone, the rocket will go in a safe direction. From previous failures I know it doesn't roll around, so straight lines left and right of the pad do it for me.

15324441688_1d63513259_c.jpg
15324379710_9428611fb5_c.jpg
15510727942_e5e3d28358_z.jpg

Failed flight: not terrible or scary.
8687941770_71340dc73f_n.jpg

Here is what I did tues.06,2015View attachment 250984View attachment 250985View attachment 250986
you can see what I did wrong. the 4-29 is now 16" shorter. Do you think its still stable to fly or do need to replace the 16"(or more)?
At least all 4 F15's lit

My latest build is a LOC Precision 4-29 ss. This is a 4x 29mm CLUSTER rocket. It is a pretty clever design with four fins that fit into the grooves between the motor tubes, which extend two feet aft of the end of the main body tube. I modified the rocket (only slightly) to allow for dual deploy. Also, I plugged the forward ends of the MMT tubes and used a #10 threaded rod for motor retention. It requires a washer and wing nut for a firm hold.

View attachment 182717

View attachment 182718

This is my first cluster motor build and am looking for tips/advice on igniters. The maiden launch will be relatively tame with 2x G64W motors. I plan to use 2 twiggy (by Quickburst) igniters. I've used these on many single mid-power flights with great success.

View attachment 182719

According to their website, Twiggy igniters are reliable for up to 3x 29mm clusters. So, what do you suggest when I step up to 4x motors? I've read a lot about making your own igniters or converting/dipping e-matches. However, I have zero experience with this and would prefer to keep it simple. Also, it seems like most homemade igniters would be too large in diameter to fit in the narrow grove of a 29mm commercial motor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

does my Mirage paint scheme look somewhat familiar? I didnt mean for that to happen....at least I have lines. You have circular. lol
Sorry,, But Black silver and yellow make a great combo,,Agreed?View attachment 250987

Last edited:
I would just order a coupler and some replacement loc tube. The longer it is, the less nose weight you will need when you fly four G64's. LOL

Last edited:
I would just order a coupler and some replacement loc tube. The longer it is, the less nose weight you will need when you fly four G64's. LOL

It needs air starts. Two AT H238 on the pad air starting a pair of CTI H54.

That would be a cool flight. Would definitely need dual deploy and maybe a tracker too. Hmm, since it is being repaired any way ...........

Thats a good one Terry. :y: Will do one day for sure.

Good point, Terry! I would restore to original length myself.

Im gonna do a little experimenting with E and F motors first then in time will order some more parts. I may extend to larger than stock using the full length of the new airframe:cool:

Back