5.5" Nike Smoke cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to get the forward ring on and epoxied. The motor mount is now done! Well not completely I still need to get a U-Bolt for shock cord attachment. More pictures to come:)

I guess I dont understand. By the time you spend the extra money for motor retention for the 4 29mm motors, plus the actual 4 29mm hardwear, plus the 4 motors themselves. Why not just put a darn 98mm in it and call it good. Still get huge amount of power, but you eliminate variables by not having a cluster?? Save money by buying one large piece of hardwear and one large motor? Well thats just me!!

I guess I dont understand. By the time you spend the extra money for motor retention for the 4 29mm motors, plus the actual 4 29mm hardwear, plus the 4 motors themselves. Why not just put a darn 98mm in it and call it good. Still get huge amount of power, but you eliminate variables by not having a cluster?? Save money by buying one large piece of hardwear and one large motor? Well thats just me!!

I wish!! I'm only 16 flying under the Tripoli TMP program. If my mentor was L3 then I could certainly fly a 4" motor. The other problem is that being 16 with no job except for what I can sell on eBay it would be near impossible to afford the Hardware and reload itself. I've also always wanted to do large cluster as well. this thing would SOAR on almost any 98mm motor!

You're right. There are so many really cool combo's I could do. Like a colored sparky!!

Yes, or surround a colored motor with Smokey Sams or Fast Jacks...black smoke with flame:) Glows through the black smoke too. Never done it but I plan to.

From CTI site:
image.jpg

Last edited:
One of the balsa find. Cut out and marked for sanding. Black lines are what im following.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1415548158.435243.jpg

Very nice build,what a cool looking launch that would be in person.

anyone know where I can get spacers that will fit the size of the 1515 rail buttons?

Your local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes should have nylon spacers. Bring a button along to match dia.

Wow. Just found this thread so I had to catch up. Looks awesome! Needless to say I'm subscribed! Can't wait to see a video of it going off.

Ok I'm in the process of ordering another 1" 20' long harness from Teddy for this build. I think all that's major left for me to get are some bulkheads for the AV bay and nosecone and the stand offs for the rail buttons. There's probably a couple more things that will need to be gotten before the end. I've been thinking of doing an heavy metal paint scheme on this. Heavy metal white and then the heavy metal red and yellow fins. Not certain yet but that's just an idea :):)

Sorry if this was mentioned, but what are you doing for the nosecone?

Nice build!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Sorry if this was mentioned, but what are you doing for the nosecone?

Nice build!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I don't think I have. Performance hobbies Fiberglass Nike smoke nose cone. Sadly it costs as much as the rest of the rocket!!!

More Stuff :):):):)

Got the second 20' 1'' tubular nylon harness from Teddy today. Also got a swivel from loc for the chute with another order I got. Did a little work on the sled for this even though it hasn't been cut out yet :)

IMG_1245.jpg

I'm getting my telemetrum soon after I take my Ham radio test and then I can do the rest of the sled for that.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 83
Its been awhile but here we go.

4 cores cut out of 1/8" ply. I sanded them on a belt sander so they are all uniform.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419795375.041421.jpg

Last edited:
One of the fin cores has been glassed. I'll see how it turns out tomorrow :)

Well it turned out amazing! No imperfections or bubbles and it is incredibly smooth without sanding.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419859928.290942.jpg

I used a semi porous plastic and some breather with around 50lbs of pressure on top of it.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419859990.643292.jpg

Ok so 1 fin core is completely laminated. Hopefully I will finish all of them within the following weeks.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420044103.472621.jpg

Eggtimer mounted for when I decide to stage the 29mm motors. The large 2s battery is for the eggtimer and I mounted a 1s battery for the RRC2.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420044213.375493.jpg

1/4" tubes epoxied for attaching sled to the AV-Bay. I just used the tube that the igniter comes in for aerotech HPR reloads.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420044319.063142.jpg

1 profile sanded down to shape. Unlike John I epoxied the balsa piece on first an then sanded. All came out well :) Need to order some more balsa to finish.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420129681.965766.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420129719.730449.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420129752.572235.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420129786.281145.jpg

Thanks. The standoffs are nylon that I picked up at Lowes. Good to know doghouse has them.

Back