• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Carbon Fiber - Interest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they meant for rolling the fabric on to the tube.

Yep, I realize that. But for 50" fabric, the tube needs to be a bit over 50".

Thayercraft does PVC with the fabric rolled onto it, then a plastic bag over the cloth, the a wrap or two of corrugated cardboard for padding (like a box, but one flat side). Use the same cardboard for end caps. Then tape / bag it / ship it. Very little wasted space aside from the ID if the inner tube. Not sure if you have enough scrap boxes around to attempt something similar.

Corrugated cardboard can be bought on rolls; probably not overly expensive.

Kraft paper would work well, too, especially if it has heavy plastic over it to protect it.

-Kevin

accpool said:
Buy the PVC schedule 20 type, very lightweight as a core. I think it goes up to 1". You could use a tube like these, did not scour for best deal, just example https://www.packagingsupplies.com/Mai..._End_Caps.html

...except they're only 48" long. Any tube that's usable is going to need to be upwards of 53" in length if the CF is going to go inside of it.

Go to your local (industrial) electrical/plumbing supply -- they've got (or should have) Sched 10 (even lighter than Sched 20) PVC pipe in 20' lengths (they may call it 'SDR-xx' - for 'Standard Dimension Ratio' - see:

https://plasticpipe.org/municipal_pipe/hdpe/sdr.html.)

I've got probably a dozen or more lengths of both some 1 1/2" and some 2 1/2" pieces (left over/abandoned from some irrigation project I changed my mind about) that the wall thickness isn't more than 0.060" on either one - made for pressure ratings up to about 300 psi (Sched 40 is considerably above that). I don't know what the current price is - and it may be more than other options (this I have was bought 30 years ago).

Another would be to use the 3" x 56" from ULINE as a core tube (instead of an outer shipping tube) and wrap the outer with the paper/plastic you were initially talking about.

But, check out that Sched 10 possibility -- it may work and I *know* they make it (and plenty long enough).

-- john.

Go to your local (industrial) electrical/plumbing supply -- they've got (or should have) Sched 10 (even lighter than Sched 20) PVC pipe in 20' lengths (they may call it 'SDR-xx' - for 'Standard Dimension Ratio' - see:

https://plasticpipe.org/municipal_pipe/hdpe/sdr.html.)

OK, I went out and checked and what I have is SDR-26 (the larger the number, the thinner the wall) - and that PPI link isn't particularly a good one (and I was wrong on the pressure rating - it's 160psi) - check here:

https://www.harvel.com/technical-support-center/product-specifications/pvc-pipe-sdr-series

-- john.

Based on the interest thus far, I'd say this is going to be "a thing".

That said, I will be ordering towards the end of September. Those interested will need to pay for their portion of the material in advance -- my wife will kill me if I order $1500 - $3000 worth of CF, then spend a year or more trying to collect, or having people change their minds.

I'll be in touch with people when I'm close to ordering.

-Kevin

I'm certainly interested in a few yards. Please keep me in the loop as you get close to the final order

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Oops sorry for triple post - fixed

Last edited:
I say just throw a stamp on the corner of a sheet and stuff it in a mail box.... That should ensure it's swift delivery.

...except they're only 48" long. Any tube that's usable is going to need to be upwards of 53" in length if the CF is going to go inside of it.

-Kevin
I'm reading the specs as the length of "each" half. The 36" tube could be up to 72" without overlap. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I'm reading the specs as the length of "each" half. The 36" tube could be up to 72" without overlap. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

If it's a "collapsable" tube (one half slides inside another), it won't work for the fabric -- the fabric will distort at the point where it goes over the transition.

-Kevin

Kevin,

I'll take 15 yards.
If you wrap it on PVC I'm sure you can add the cost to the shipping, It will keep the carbon safe, and at 15/yard, it's still a steal.
Let me know how and when you need payment

Dan Schwartz ( comcast is out, I'm on my son's computer)
[email protected]

I will be interested in 10 yards on Friday. my zip code is 92311 that's Barstow CA. Send me a bill and I will pay it on Friday
kurt

Would a 5 yard commitment be a possibility since there's so much interest?

I'm working on some final confirmations from the supplier, but here's the basics of how this is going to go down...

When I give the green light, folks interested will need to PM me how much material they want, as well as send me payment for the material only. Payment will be Cashier's check, money order or PayPal (gift; there's no profit for me, so I'm not paying any transaction fees). I need the money up front as my wife will kill me if I buy $3,000+ worth of carbon fiber, then spend months or years trying to collect for all of it...

Once I have enough of the money collected, I'll place the order. Whether I order one roll, two, or three will depend on how much comes in, and how fast. If I end up, for example, with 220 yards paid for, whoever paid for that last 20 yards will get their money refunded -- I can't swing 8/10 of a roll myself, just to sit on it and hope I sell it.

When the money arrives, I'll start cutting it to the proper lengths and getting it ready for shipping. At that time, I'll calculate shipping costs and let everyone know what they need to pay for shipping. The material will be wrapped around a tube of some sort, wrapped in paper, then wrapped in plastic. Once I get your money for shipping, I'll ship your material to you.

Please, don't send anything yet -- I'm waiting on final confirmation of numbers, including shipping. Each roll weighs roughly 150 pounds, so shipping isn't a trivial part of this.

-Kevin

I'm working on some final confirmations from the supplier, but here's the basics of how this is going to go down...

When I give the green light, folks interested will need to PM me how much material they want, as well as send me payment for the material only. Payment will be Cashier's check, money order or PayPal (gift; there's no profit for me, so I'm not paying any transaction fees). I need the money up front as my wife will kill me if I buy $3,000+ worth of carbon fiber, then spend months or years trying to collect for all of it...

Once I have enough of the money collected, I'll place the order. Whether I order one roll, two, or three will depend on how much comes in, and how fast. If I end up, for example, with 220 yards paid for, whoever paid for that last 20 yards will get their money refunded -- I can't swing 8/10 of a roll myself, just to sit on it and hope I sell it.

When the money arrives, I'll start cutting it to the proper lengths and getting it ready for shipping. At that time, I'll calculate shipping costs and let everyone know what they need to pay for shipping. The material will be wrapped around a tube of some sort, wrapped in paper, then wrapped in plastic. Once I get your money for shipping, I'll ship your material to you.

Please, don't send anything yet -- I'm waiting on final confirmation of numbers, including shipping. Each roll weighs roughly 150 pounds, so shipping isn't a trivial part of this.

-Kevin

Wow Kevin you may be as OCD as me!

Back