• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Carbon Fiber - Interest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any folks interested in a bulk purchase of carbon fiber?

I have a source where I can buy a full roll and have it shipped to me for about $1500, or $15/yard. It's 3K 2x2 twill, 50" wide, 7oz.

I'm looking for people who would be willing to buy a minimum of 10 yards, plus pay to have it shipped to them.

I need guaranteed enough interest before I can commit to buying.

-Kevin

I could commit to 10 yards.

Any more details? Thickness? Manufacturer?

Alex

Last edited:
Kevin,

I'm very interested in bulk carbon fiber, but in filament (tow) vs. a weave. I currently consume about 15 lbs a month which gets expensive quickly. Let me know if this could add to your minimums. I'd be willing to buy up to a 200 lbs if it was a good deal :>

I'm very interested in bulk carbon fiber, but in filament (tow) vs. a weave. I currently consume about 15 lbs a month which gets expensive quickly. Let me know if this could add to your minimums. I'd be willing to buy up to a 200 lbs if it was a good deal :>

I'm looking at buying one or more rolls of woven fabric, so I can't be of much help to you.

-Kevin

One thing I'm researching with this is how to ship the fabric -- I think the ideal method is to wrap it around a core, cover that with paper, then plastic over that.

The challenge is finding cores for wrapping that can handle 50" wide fabric!

The other option is to roll it around something like a a dowel, just to provide some rigidity.

Otherwise, it has to be folded (carefully), then put in a box.

-Kevin

One thing I'm researching with this is how to ship the fabric -- I think the ideal method is to wrap it around a core, cover that with paper, then plastic over that.

The other option is to roll it around something like a a dowel, just to provide some rigidity.

-Kevin

Wrap it around some PVC pipe which is cheap and them wrap it with brown packing paper.

-Kevin

60" airframe tubing, cut down a bit. C=

When I have purchased fabric such as this in the past, it generally comes rolled around a thick wall cardboard tube, wrapped in paper, then stuck into a thick walled shipping tube of the appropriate size. If the fabric is high end, then it is also usually cushioned some inside the larger tube and it might be wrapped in plastic rather than paper. The cut lines for the fabric would be masking tape strip, cut through with a knife, roller knife, or scissors. The remaining strip of tape on each end helps prevent fabric distortion. Chances are you could get some suitable mailing tubes and possibly roll tubes from uline.

You probably know all this anyway, if you are up to buying rolls!

BTW, excellent price and excellent find!

Gerald

I can get shipping tubes...by the case. I can't buy 250 of them. :)

-Kevin

Kevin, I am pretty sure I would be interested in 10 or so yards depending on timing, and if you can get enough others

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Kevin free solution , go to a carpet store . They have tubes from 2" to 4.25 . .125 wall so they should be light

1 1/2" kraft tubes from ULINE in 48" "useable" length (i.e. it's a little longer for the end caps). $1.40 ea in qty:

https://www.uline.com/BL_3653/Kraft-Tubes

(can't imagine you'd have 1/4" (maybe 1/2") hanging over the ends - and could stuff a little wadded paper there to stiffen that up.)

... and, they have 3" and 4" tubes 56" long - would be about perfect as the outer tube - just wad up a sheet or two of newsprint and stuff in the ends to fill it out and provide padding.

-- john.

Last edited:
John, I appreciate the link, but there are a couple problems... First, you have to buy 50 at a time, which means $70 in tubes alone (most of which I'd never use).

The second is that the tube is probably 49" long at most. That means the edges of the fabric would overhang, leading to distortion of that part of the fabric.

PVC may be my best option, although it's heavy.

-Kevin

I think they meant for rolling the fabric on to the tube.

Thayercraft does PVC with the fabric rolled onto it, then a plastic bag over the cloth, the a wrap or two of corrugated cardboard for padding (like a box, but one flat side). Use the same cardboard for end caps. Then tape / bag it / ship it. Very little wasted space aside from the ID if the inner tube. Not sure if you have enough scrap boxes around to attempt something similar.

Back