Who Makes A Short Ogive 2.6" Nose Cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I'm working on the TLP Martel AS.37, but it has you use a PNC80BB Style Nose Cone with a Paper Hat, which ends up not looking anything like the actual Missile Nose.
I would like a "Short Ogive", to finish off this build if one is available. I have looked at Balsa Machining and Madcow, but niether offer one. Madcow does have a perfect Short Ogive, but it is a 4", not a 2.6".
Balsa, Plastic or Fiberglass, does'nt matter to me as long as it looks right.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)
Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary, but that's a BT-70 size. I need BT-80.

Aw shucks, my bad. The Launch Pad has em in a 5 pack. Not sure if you wanna go that distance. Usually when I need something I can't find, I'll just turn it myself. $100 lathe would be a good investment for someone that needs custom cones.

Aw shucks, my bad. The Launch Pad has em in a 5 pack. Not sure if you wanna go that distance. Usually when I need something I can't find, I'll just turn it myself. $100 lathe would be a good investment for someone that needs custom cones.

Yeah, I may just have to "Improvised Lathe" one myself out of a different Balsa Cone. Can't afford a real Lathe just yet.

Found a couple larger pictures. That is a 2:1 ogive (or at least extremely close to it).

martel.jpg 800px-AS-37-Martel.svg.png

I'm working on the TLP Martel AS.37, but it has you use a PNC80BB Style Nose Cone with a Paper Hat, which ends up not looking anything like the actual Missile Nose.
I would like a "Short Ogive", to finish off this build if one is available. I have looked at Balsa Machining and Madcow, but niether offer one. Madcow does have a perfect Short Ogive, but it is a 4", not a 2.6".
Balsa, Plastic or Fiberglass, does'nt matter to me as long as it looks right.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)
Thanks.

Try Python Rocketry maybe:

https://www.pythonrocketry.com

Last edited:
Yep, that one's good.

I'm not sure if the link sent me to the SEMROC cone was correct but the cone I see isn't even close!
The SEMROC cone is 5.0" A bit short.

The correct Martel cone is very close to a 2:1 ogive.

I get 5.28" long exposed length. A true 2:1 is 5.60" long.

I'm not sure if the link sent me to the SEMROC cone was correct but the cone I see isn't even close!
The SEMROC cone is 5.0" A bit short.

The correct Martel cone is very close to a 2:1 ogive.

I get 5.28" long exposed length. A true 2:1 is 5.60" long.

The O.D. of a 2.56" I.D. tube is ~2.67". A 2:1 length-to-width ratio would make the length 5.34" wouldn't it? 5.28" seems pretty close. Well, that is if he's using phenolic. For LOC tubing the O.D. is 2.63" so the length should be 5.26"--even closer.

Last edited:
The O.D. of a 2.56" I.D. tube is ~2.67". A 2:1 length-to-width ratio would make the length 5.34" wouldn't it? 5.28" seems pretty close. Well, that is if he's using phenolic. For LOC tubing the O.D. is 2.63" so the length should be 5.26"--even closer.
Someones is just upset AGAIN, cuz they werent the "GO TO GUY"!!!!! :facepalm:

2.64x2=5.28 .
Semrocs'....BNC-80HD Ogive 2.558" 2.640" 5"
Splitting fricking hairs here.....WTF ....throw some extra paint on the bitch and light that candel.Cant see it from me house anywhoo.
I dont think Top is entering this in a scale build contest.

Last edited:
The Semroc Cone is a lot better than anything else, and as I said, it's Balsa so I'll fine tune it.
I just don't like the looks of the Cone that TLP suggests that you make. It's like half Ogive, half Conical, and does'nt look like the actual Missile at all.
Scotty Dog is correct, I'm not entering any Contests, I just want it to look like what I think it should look like.

Thanks again Scotty.

And thanks to everybody for taking the Time to help me out.:)

Last edited:
The Semroc Cone is a lot better than anything else, and as I said, it's Balsa so I'll fine tune it.
I just don't like the looks of the Cone that TLP suggests that you make. It's like half Ogive, half Conical, and does'nt look like the actual Missile at all.
Scotty Dog is correct, I'm not entering any Contests, I just want it to look like what I think it should look like.

Thanks again Scotty.

And thanks to everybody for taking the Time to help me out.:)
Your Welcome! Hey, after it's all said and done,we are just one big happy family...
th
:lol:

Someones is just upset AGAIN, cuz they werent the "GO TO GUY"!!!!! :facepalm:

2.64x2=5.28 .
Semrocs'....BNC-80HD Ogive 2.558" 2.640" 5"
Splitting fricking hairs here.....WTF ....throw some extra paint on the bitch and light that candel.Cant see it from me house anywhoo.
I dont think Top is entering this in a scale build contest.

Your speed at correcting me reflects your ignorance.

The cone is for a BT-80H (thick walled). 2.64" O.D.

A regular BT-80 is 2.60" O.D. is what TLP uses.

It's Balsa though, so it will be made to work.:)

From this drawing:

I used GIMP to measure the distance from the tip of the nosecone to the double lines, and then across the diameter at the double lines. I got 157 pixels as the length, and 37 pixels dia. This is about a 4:1 ratio.
AJ_168_Martel.png

AJ_168_Martel.png

Um, ya , I think we got that factoid. Thats why I posted in #13...
Its 2.640 O.D. Guess if your going to fudge something,this wouldn't take much.
Oh, you say I corrected you,but Im the ignorant one. You just showed what you are all about by name calling.
Still upset cuz you didnt get the sale? BOooooo whooooo wahhh wahhhhhh
This isnt the first thread you busted in on cuz you werent the "GO TO GUY". Its a known fact here on TRF.Ya know,the talk around the water cooler.

Last edited:
Don't know about those drawings, but I had done the same thing for the pictures shown in post #9 resulting in the pictures below which are 157x77 and 122x59, respectively, or nearly identical ratio of 2.05:1 and personally, I'd rather go with a drawing that matches an actual snapshot.

MartelNC.JPG Martel.JPG

Last edited:
Now, Now!
I never meant to start arguments by asking for help finding a Nose Cone.
I greatly appreciate EVERYONES effort to get me squared away, and the additional Effort that some of you made to actually measure the Picture and Drawings. This will be helpful when I shape the Nose Cone to the best of my ability, which will be plenty good enough, even if it is not perfect.

I'll come back to this Thread and post a Pic' of the finished Cone for those that want to see how it turns out.
Until then, lets give the Animosity and harsh Words a rest eh?

Well, I THINK I ordered it. First, I tried to get one, but there was a Minimum Order of $20, so I tried to add another, but they only had the one, so I ordered a couple of other Cones for some upcoming Scratch Builds.
Then, at Checkout, when I got through logging into my Account and clicked to place my Order, Step 3 I believe it was, the little "Page Loading" circle Icon thingy just kept spinning and spinning for like 7 Minutes, so finally I became enraged and clicked "Cancel".
Then it went to a Screen saying Shopping Cart Empty.
I went to my E-mail, and saw that they had indeed sent my Confirmation E-mail.
Guess I'll just wait a couple of Days and see if they billed me for it and sent the stuff or not. At this point I no longer care.:mad::hot::yawn:

Well, I THINK I ordered it. First, I tried to get one, but there was a Minimum Order of $20, so I tried to add another, but they only had the one, so I ordered a couple of other Cones for some upcoming Scratch Builds.
Then, at Checkout, when I got through logging into my Account and clicked to place my Order, Step 3 I believe it was, the little "Page Loading" circle Icon thingy just kept spinning and spinning for like 7 Minutes, so finally I became enraged and clicked "Cancel".
Then it went to a Screen saying Shopping Cart Empty.
I went to my E-mail, and saw that they had indeed sent my Confirmation E-mail.
Guess I'll just wait a couple of Days and see if they billed me for it and sent the stuff or not. At this point I no longer care.:mad::hot::yawn:
A man needs to sleep once in awhile. Dont think you can remember (age) but there was a time that you had to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery. and thats after you snail mailed in your order.
I get a kick out of people (include me-self) that go off when the hyper speed of the internet hick-ups.
Anywhoo...Today is a new day. :grin:
Have a good one. :smile:

Last edited:
I remember having to wait. Back in 87' I ordered a Blowdart Gun from the back of Guns & Ammo, and after mailing my M.O. I patiently waited, and waited and waited. Took 4 Months to get there. I'de given up and did'nt think it would ever show.

Back