Head End Deployment with drogue and main set up?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAttebery

Reaction score
I'm planning to use head end deployment with a cable cutter on my 7.5" LOC Door Knob. I would like to use a small drogue to keep it stable. I have a 25' shock cord with the main attached 3' from the NC. Originally I was going to attach the drogue directly to the NC but I probably need to keep it back at least a foot so that I can wrap it in it's own nomex.

Any suggestions on how to set this up?

Thanks,

Chris

You want to avoid all the cords tangling. A main in its nomex burrito is going to act like a small drogue until cable cutter lets it inflate. A separate drogue may be more risk than it's worth.

Ari.

I agree with all three of your points, but I'm a little concerned about going drogueless on this project. I've done it before, but that was on a rocket that broke apart in the middle and the sections were fairly equal weight. I'm concerned that this one might not fall flat.

1. Adding a drogue makes rocket fall less flat--the pieces hang from a central point. A rocket may actually fall faster with a drogue than without.

2. If you're using a cable cutter, you are not drogueless. The bundled main acts as a drogue.

Ari.

Back