Pronunciation of Cesaroni?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had a face-to-face conversation on the subject of Cesaroni motors, so I've never actually heard the name pronounced. Is the C pronounced like Ch, the E like an A or Eh sound, and the S like a Z sound? That is what I would assume --- something like Chezarony. Or are the C and S both S sounds --- Sesaroni? Or Seesaroni?

BTW, "Cheese-a-Roni" sounds like a nice alternative low-carb, high-protein San Francisco Treat. Ding! Ding!

I don't think I've ever had a face-to-face conversation on the subject of Cesaroni motors, so I've never actually heard the name pronounced. Is the C pronounced like Ch, the E like an A or Eh sound, and the S like a Z sound? That is what I would assume --- something like Chezarony. Or are the C and S both S sounds --- Sesaroni? Or Seesaroni?

BTW, "Cheese-a-Roni" sounds like a nice alternative low-carb, high-protein San Francisco Treat. Ding! Ding!

I do Sezaroni. Or I say "screw it" and call them CTI. :p

I do Sezaroni. Or I say "screw it" and call them CTI. :p

Thanks! CTI might be the easiest solution...

I don't speak Italian, but I do like pizza, so I think the letter C followed by an E or an I is usually pronounced like a Ch in Italian. If C is followed by an A, O, or U, it is pronounced with a K sound, or hard C like Cat. And now I see I didn't even include that as an option! It could sound like Kezaroni, I suppose. And now that I think about it, I don't think the C is generally pronounced like an S in italian so Sezaroni is probably out.

Confusion like this is why in the US you have people like Ettore Boiardi changing his name to Chef Boyardee.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that I've been reading the word for more than a year now, and I was actually READING it wrong. Have you ever read an unfamiliar word, made up a mental pronunciation, and then never thought about it again. I had in my head that the second letter was an A as in Casaroni, and it was pronounced something like Kassaroni. After that, I never thought about it again until I wanted to look up something about it yesterday and had to type the word into a search. That's when I realized I was mentally spelling it wrong and pronouncing it wrong.

Course, expecting people to pronounce stuff correctly is too much to ask... Still have people calling Estes "Est-EEZ" and Centuri "Sen-TAW-REE"...

We have one club guy that does the "Est-EEZ" thing all the time... I even came up with a ditty to correct him... "It's 'Estes' like 'best-est', not 'Est-EEZ' like 'testes'"... LOL:)

Oh well... Later! OL JR :)

What about Oh-JIVE vs Oh-GIVE? Oh... The fun... :p
Course, expecting people to pronounce stuff correctly is too much to ask... Still have people calling Estes "Est-EEZ" and Centuri "Sen-TAW-REE"...

We have one club guy that does the "Est-EEZ" thing all the time... I even came up with a ditty to correct him... "It's 'Estes' like 'best-est', not 'Est-EEZ' like 'testes'"... LOL:)

Oh well... Later! OL JR :)

Thanks! That sounds like how I thought it probably was pronounced. The syllables would spell out something like this: CHEH-zah-ROH-nee.

That would be the correct Italian pronunciation. And though both the first and third syllables are stressed, the greater stress would be on the first since there is only one "n"

But does anybody actually know whether that name SHOULD use the Italian pronunciation?

For example, my family stopped using the Italian pronunciation of our surname 2 generations ago. Therefore, even though the proper Italian pronunciation of "Bercini" is behr-CHEE-nee (with a short trill on the "r"), you will hear me introduce myself as bur-SEE-nee

The question is how do people around the office at CTI pronounce it. Plenty of people don't pronounce their names the same way their ancestors did in the old world.

Joroen?

I'm an IBM. Italian by marriage. Watch the Family Guy when Peter grows a mustache. He will teach you how to correctly speak Italian!

[video=youtube;9JhuOicPFZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhuOicPFZY[/video]

That would be the correct Italian pronunciation. And though both the first and third syllables are stressed, the greater stress would be on the first since there is only one "n"

But does anybody actually know whether that name SHOULD use the Italian pronunciation?

For example, my family stopped using the Italian pronunciation of our surname 2 generations ago. Therefore, even though the proper Italian pronunciation of "Bercini" is behr-CHEE-nee (with a short trill on the "r"), you will hear me introduce myself as bur-SEE-nee

So there is a chance that it is pronounced like Mickey Rooney's lesser-known brother Caesar Rooney?

View attachment 182647

Just like the Dictionary says it is.:)

So, like O-Jive?

Like in Airplane?

Randy : Can I get you something?
Second Jive Dude : 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!
Randy : I'm sorry, I don't understand.
First Jive Dude : Cutty say 'e can't HANG!
Jive Lady : Oh stewardess! I speak jive.
Randy : Oh, good.
Jive Lady : He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
Randy : All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?
Jive Lady : Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.
Second Jive Dude : What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!
Jive Lady : Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
First Jive Dude : Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!
Jive Lady : Jive dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!

OH-jiv

Same root as Ogee (slightly different shape, though).

Well, the Dictionary is "The Last Word" so to speak, as far as Pronunciation is concerned, so it really can't be argued.

So, like O-Jive?

Like in Airplane?

Second Jive Dude : 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!
Jive Lady : He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
Randy : All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?
Jive Lady : Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.
Second Jive Dude : What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!
Jive Lady : Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!

Yes, like Jive!

Isn't that from Airplane?
So, like O-Jive?

Like in Airplane?

Isn't that from Airplane?

Yep. You would get credit for understanding an obscure movie quote from way before your time, except for the fact I said.

So, like O-Jive?

Like in Airplane?

That was a hilarious movie! They showed it at my middle school when I was in 9th grade, which was kind of daring, considering it had some off-color humor and a split-second shot where bare boobs bounce into the frame and back out again. Boi-yoi-yoing!

My school was integrated through a bussing program, so there was a large number of black kids who were bussed into the school from another neighborhood. They thought this jive-talking scene was so funny! The Jive Lady was the actress who was the mom on Leave It to Beaver, so seeing this woman known as a white suburban mom talking jive was a riot. The white kids thought it was funny, but we really had no idea what anyone was saying in the scene. The black kids got even more out of than we did.

Back