Streamer Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepe

Reaction score
I'm just finishing building my Customs Rocket Avaler and it has and come to my attention that I'm missing the string needed to attach the streamer to the nosecone.Could some one please tell me what I can use as a replacement( I'm thinking fishing line) and how long it should be? Thanks

I've built and flown a bunch of streamer-recovery rockets, so I know that there are many different streamer attachment methods used in the kits' directions. My general practice is to use 6" - 12" of cotton or Kevlar string tied to a snap swivel. This provides enough line to wrap around the folded streamer to keep its compact shape in the body tube. The swivel allows me to share streamers between rockets, or to experiment with different streamer materials in a given rocket.

I've never had a burn-through when using the cotton string, and it's way cheaper than Kevlar, btw. I'm sure you'll hear other opinions, but use what works for you. Good luck!

Upholstery thread or braided nylon fishing line (but NOT monofilament!) work as well. Unless you really goof up with the wadding, the thread will not be exposed to a great deal of heat. However, make sure you pick something a little "beefier" than your typical sewing thread - something that will resist fraying.

Upholstery thread or braided nylon fishing line (but NOT monofilament!) work as well. Unless you really goof up with the wadding, the thread will not be exposed to a great deal of heat. However, make sure you pick something a little "beefier" than your typical sewing thread - something that will resist fraying.
Thanks for the info I WAS going to use monofilament but will use some kevlar thread I've been saving for another project.About a foot ? It's a small rocket.

The kit came with a round disc that I'm suppose to use to stick the streamer and line together with.

Thanks for the tip. I'll pick some up tomorrow. Would you recommend doing the same on my parachute models?

Thanks for the tip. I'll pick some up tomorrow. Would you recommend doing the same on my parachute models?

If your parachutes have holes around the edges, and the lines are tied through them, no. But if your parachute is using just a self-adhesive disc to secure the line to the shroud, yes, you can substitute squares of that same tape. This assumes you are working with lightweight LPR.

Last edited:
Back