Separate drogue and pilot parachutes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarVac

Reaction score
I am planning my recovery system for Area Rule, my next large rocket. I want to have a single break deployment system by popping the nosecone off and releasing a drogue. However, I also want to have a pilot chute and deployment bag for the main parachute.

I know this can easily be done with the RATTWorks ARRD to make the drogue act as the pilot, but I want to know: can it be done in parallel with a separate pilot? I would stow the main chute in an inert tube and have a small chute cannon for the pilot.

Should the pilot be bigger than the drogue? Should the drogue shock cord be much longer? I imagine that combination would make the pilot shadow the drogue, and the long extended drogue cord would be good for reducing tangles with the main.

Having the drogue be the pilot minimizes the chance of interference between the two chutes and minimizes the chance of a tangle upon deployment of the main itself. Additionally, the pull available for the pilot to extract the main would be greater with the pilot being the drogue, all else being equal. IMHO it is a more reliable approach. Nothing will be truly bullet-proof of course.

You could have a small drogue pull out a medium pilot which deploys the main, if you think what you want to use for a drogue is insufficient as a pilot for your setup.

Gerald

Having the drogue be the pilot minimizes the chance of interference between the two chutes and minimizes the chance of a tangle upon deployment of the main itself. Additionally, the pull available for the pilot to extract the main would be greater with the pilot being the drogue, all else being equal. IMHO it is a more reliable approach. Nothing will be truly bullet-proof of course.

You could have a small drogue pull out a medium pilot which deploys the main, if you think what you want to use for a drogue is insufficient as a pilot for your setup.

Gerald

I want to use a separate one because I don't want to deal with a tether solution to retain the drogue while descending at altitude. The ARRD is a pain with the ball bearings and cleaning while the Defy Gravity and the Tender Descender can cause damage when they fly apart.

Should the pilot be bigger than the drogue? Should the drogue shock cord be much longer? I imagine that combination would make the pilot shadow the drogue, and the long extended drogue cord would be good for reducing tangles with the main.

In a former life (back in the 90's), I was doing some research on reefing - and developed a small reefing line cutter that is about what the Archetype Cable Cutter is today - very similar, used an electric match to drive a (sharpened edge) piston into some high tech polymer (Torlon) anvil to cut the reefing line. (Actually, this was 'Control Line Reefing' - where the skirt perimeter reefing line has a 'control line' down to the confluence point - which makes it easier to sever with an electrically fired cutter - running wires up to the skirt of the canopy is problematic at best). Had this thing working rather well - would reef the canopy down about 50% (into a ball shape - that was a natural for shedding inflation forces).

I say that as a manner of introduction to this:

I was using a bag deployment system on most of my rockets -- inner bag that contained the canopy proper - elastic loops on the outside to stow the suspension lines and all this inside an outer container that was closed with another elastic loop and held with a rip-cord pin. This used a 24" ringslot pilot chute (for my 5-7foot canopies) or an 18" mil-surplus flare chute for smaller canopies.

I put the hobby down about this point in time -- but the plan was to adapt my reefing line cutter to simply hold that outer container closed (the forces produced by a 24" ringslot was not that massive - even on a 20# vehicle) and let this be the 'drogue' assembly. Very simple -- very reliable -- very adaptable. Just simply kick out the recovery system at apogee just like a normal apogee deployment - but insert a several thousand foot delay in allowing that pilot canopy to open the main container and deploy the main parachute. No special builds on the vehicle (to have separate 'bays') - just move the canopy over to whatever vehicle one wants.

While I understand (to some degree) the approach of separate bays to effect dual deploy, it still seems (and looks) insanely complicated - Rube Goldberg'ish, if you will. Without a bag deployment system, one has to engineer other ways to accomplish multiple descent profiles. However, I hold the belief that any complication in recovery is just asking for a disaster - so, if and when I fly again, I doubt I'll go down that road - especially with bag deployment. Using a reefing line cutter to release the main is simply inserting a l-o-n-g delay in what would have happened at apogee: eject recovery system, pilot inflates, <delay here> pulls out main. You don't have to size any pilot/drogue to extract anything from the vehicle if you let the ejection charge do that part of the 'work' - it only has to extract the main from the bag - a much smaller force.

Like G_T, letting the pilot be the drogue (or the drogue be the pilot, your choice) just seems to be the more reliable approach.

As to sizing this -- just simply get one of those Chinese electronic luggage scales, set up a ground test and pull out your main (you could either test for opening the bag or add full extraction from the vehicle + open the bag) and see how much force it will take - then tie on your pilot to the scale and run down the road in the car and see what speed it takes for the pilot to equal that force (or, better, twice that force). That should assure correct sizing.

All this depends, however, on using a bag deployment system - and, it *might* work on things like burritos, or diapers or skirt hesitators, etc - that would have to be tested.

-- john.

In a former life (back in the 90's), I was doing some research on reefing - and developed a small reefing line cutter that is about what the Archetype Cable Cutter is today - very similar, used an electric match to drive a (sharpened edge) piston into some high tech polymer (Torlon) anvil to cut the reefing line. (Actually, this was 'Control Line Reefing' - where the skirt perimeter reefing line has a 'control line' down to the confluence point - which makes it easier to sever with an electrically fired cutter - running wires up to the skirt of the canopy is problematic at best). Had this thing working rather well - would reef the canopy down about 50% (into a ball shape - that was a natural for shedding inflation forces).

I say that as a manner of introduction to this:

I was using a bag deployment system on most of my rockets -- inner bag that contained the canopy proper - elastic loops on the outside to stow the suspension lines and all this inside an outer container that was closed with another elastic loop and held with a rip-cord pin. This used a 24" ringslot pilot chute (for my 5-7foot canopies) or an 18" mil-surplus flare chute for smaller canopies.

I put the hobby down about this point in time -- but the plan was to adapt my reefing line cutter to simply hold that outer container closed (the forces produced by a 24" ringslot was not that massive - even on a 20# vehicle) and let this be the 'drogue' assembly. Very simple -- very reliable -- very adaptable. Just simply kick out the recovery system at apogee just like a normal apogee deployment - but insert a several thousand foot delay in allowing that pilot canopy to open the main container and deploy the main parachute. No special builds on the vehicle (to have separate 'bays') - just move the canopy over to whatever vehicle one wants.

While I understand (to some degree) the approach of separate bays to effect dual deploy, it still seems (and looks) insanely complicated - Rube Goldberg'ish, if you will. Without a bag deployment system, one has to engineer other ways to accomplish multiple descent profiles. However, I hold the belief that any complication in recovery is just asking for a disaster - so, if and when I fly again, I doubt I'll go down that road - especially with bag deployment. Using a reefing line cutter to release the main is simply inserting a l-o-n-g delay in what would have happened at apogee: eject recovery system, pilot inflates, <delay here> pulls out main. You don't have to size any pilot/drogue to extract anything from the vehicle if you let the ejection charge do that part of the 'work' - it only has to extract the main from the bag - a much smaller force.

Like G_T, letting the pilot be the drogue (or the drogue be the pilot, your choice) just seems to be the more reliable approach.

As to sizing this -- just simply get one of those Chinese electronic luggage scales, set up a ground test and pull out your main (you could either test for opening the bag or add full extraction from the vehicle + open the bag) and see how much force it will take - then tie on your pilot to the scale and run down the road in the car and see what speed it takes for the pilot to equal that force (or, better, twice that force). That should assure correct sizing.

All this depends, however, on using a bag deployment system - and, it *might* work on things like burritos, or diapers or skirt hesitators, etc - that would have to be tested.

-- john.

I am not sure what your point is.

I do plan to use a bag. I don't have that yet, so if there is an elegant way to keep it closed under the weight of the rocket with the drogue/pilot pulling on it, I would like a description (or diagram).

I have a commercial parachute, so I can't easily/don't feel comfortable adding reefing to it.

I was planning on multiple parachute tubes within the airframe in order to protect against black powder damage.

If you want, you can take a look at how I did it with Sprite. That worked very reliably. It isn't what you are asking for, but perhaps there is something in there that may be of interest.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?37382-Sprite-6-quot-and-a-baby-O

Too bad I didn't have a picture of the fully prepped setup before sliding the upper tube in place and bolting it on. That was always done at the field in launch preparation as the rocket was a little too big for me to transport assembled. But I do show a lot of the prep work and the construction. What doesn't show via picture is the drogue attaches to the tether connected to a solid forged eyebolt on the thick forward bulkhead. Also attached to the tether point is a tie-down line which goes to the top of the dbag and compresses it downwards towards the bulkhead. That line never experiences high loads. The drogue and its line is then stowed above the dbag, and squished in place by the nosecone. There is no free space. I REALLY don't like free space in recovery areas of rockets as IMHO it is asking for things to get jumbled around with all the shock and vibe, and altering G loads. Anyway there was also a disposable cardboard (I used small 38mm motor liners for this) to act as a CO2 bypass tube for initial deployment. The tube is not anchored in place other than by being squashed into position. Upon deployment it is free to come out the top with the release of the main. But actually, the G loads are high during main deployment on my rocket so the tube would always be in the top upon landing.

There are more details of course in the thread. Plus, other people have threads on similar arrangements.

Gerald

PS - Overall I had three chutes involved - Drogue as pilot, main, and nosecone chute.

Last edited:
I am not sure what your point is.

<g> That doesn't come as any surprise -- as I went back and re-read what I wrote and I left out too much and assumed even more. I apologize for that. (and, upon re-reading the below, may not be as much an improvement as I initially thought - give it a try...)

First off, understand that (once I got onto it), I always used a bag deployment system on every canopy 3 feet and above (which covered probably in excess of 95% of my flights). Altimeters and dual deployment were very much in its infancy at the time I was doing this - but I already had 'hit on' the approach I was going to use - in concert with the bag deployment that I was already familiar with. People weren't breaking their rockets in multiple pieces like you see today back in the '90s (they also weren't using bag deployment, either.)

Never used burritos, etc -- it was bag exclusively. This is what informed my thinking on how to solve the dual deployment approach.

The fundamental thing with the bag is that it (with the main canopy) and the pilot chute are ejected by the ejection charge at apogee (the outer container bag is tied to the nose cone with a 12"+- bridle to prevent loss - connected with the same quick link that ties the shock cord to the nose cone - but it rides pretty close under the base of the nose cone). The pilot inflates, pulls the rip-cord pin - allowing the outer container to open (itself a bag - imagine a (fabric) box with 4 flaps, overlapping, held closed by a loop of elastic threaded thru grommets at the 'common point' where the flaps overlap and the pin threaded thru that loop where it exits the top flap - thus holding the bag closed) and, once open, then extracts the actual (interior) canopy bag, stripping the lines (stowed zig-zag in elastic loops on the back side), pulling free the 'bights' of suspension line holding the inner bag closed (the bights into elastic loops thru three grommets on the flap) - whereupon it opens and the canopy proper is extracted and begins inflation. All this happens at apogee... under *normal* circumstances. There's nothing out of the ordinary here - this is just normal bag deployment.

The point in bringing up the reefing line cutter is that I would rig the above approach to *prevent* the pilot chute from pulling the rip-cord pin (holding the outer container bag closed) via a tie-down (just a little 30# dacron line as a 'belt' around the outer bag and through the reefing cutter and the rip-cord pin. There could be two cutters (one each side of the rip-cord pin) for redundancy). When the whole system (rocket and recovery system - aligned and descending as: pilot > main canopy bag at > nose cone > main body --- top to bottom) - when all this reached the terminal descent altitude (TDA), the reefing cutter(s) would fire - releasing the tie-down and allowing the pilot to then free the rip-cord pin and continue with the deployment -- same as would have happened at apogee - just in this case, inserting a several thousand foot 'interval' between ejection of the recovery system (and pilot inflation) at apogee and final inflation of the main canopy (at TDA). The pilot chute then becomes the drogue in this case (and could be increased in size to keep descent rates in check). Reefing the main canopy to further reduce opening forces would be an optional (additional) step, depending on necessity - and only confuses our discussion here. The main point is using the reefing line cutter (that I already had and had proved workable) in a different application from initially intended. The added benefit is that this aligns the entire vehicle in the exact orientation (pilot top - main body bottom) that is needed for main deployment BEFORE main deployment - lessening greatly any chance of fouling (or damage) of the components.

I don't know how much you are familiar with bag deployment (meant honestly - I just don't know), and my bag system is buried and lost somewhere around here (that I will be looking for) or I could take a few pix and upload, which would help clarify this a little more. I did spend a little time this afternoon searching online and found enough (generic) photos that I could upload with commentary a bit - if you think it would help further clarify things. (I *do* plan to cover some aspects of this down the road on the 'Ringsail' thread - even if I have to build another bag (something I've been wanting to do anyway, with a few design improvements, for years)). But, if those pictures would help, I'll get them up here.

But, the most important point to keep in mind is that I have never 'broken a rocket it two' (for dual deployment) and (generally) don't intend to -- as I feel my 'delayed bag' approach is simpler and more reliable. All my thinking comes from that foundation and philosophy. This will fly in the face of 'conventional wisdom' (based on present practice) - but only because I've been 'out of the loop' for awhile (and have, therefore, not grown accustomed to the (contemporary) 'standard approach'). Since you are more currently active, you will look at it differently, for sure.

CarVac said:
I do plan to use a bag. I don't have that yet, so if there is an elegant way to keep it closed under the weight of the rocket with the drogue/pilot pulling on it, I would like a description (or diagram).

First, we need to quantify with some reasonable degree of accuracy just what kinds of force that pilot/drogue exerts at various decent rates (it's not going to matter what the rocket weighs - outside of the fact that equilibrium descent rates will be higher with a heavier mass under the pilot). A small pilot chute will not exert such a massive force that it can't be countered with whatever method of securing the rip-cord pin in place is found (per my approach above). If 30# line isn't enough, then we'll try 60# line (testing, of course, that the reefing cutter can handle it) - or just use a zip tie like Archetype does. In my earlier reefing line work, I found that some classic 30# dacron deep sea fishing line could take a heck of a lot (as to reefing line forces) - even on 6 or 7 foot canopies - so I don't feel any major changes are going to be necessary in this application. But, regardless, there's still some design effort yet to be expended on making this 'elegant' (all of this depends on the exact design of the bag, too).

CarVac said:
I have a commercial parachute, so I can't easily/don't feel comfortable adding reefing to it.

I was planning on multiple parachute tubes within the airframe in order to protect against
black powder damage.

Putting in reefing rings isn't all that hard and we've had a discussion or two in the past on alternative approaches to 'hesitating' main canopy inflation (that may not involve an actual reefing cutter). The best approach is to have those cutters in the skirt (most nearly mimics the 'big boys' approach), but trying to fire that electrically is where things get challenging - since the control electronics are located elsewhere (thus, these alternative approaches).

We'll just have to continue down this road and solve the problems as we go.

(If I still didn't clarify things sufficiently, 'holler' back and we'll try again)

-- john.

I am familiar with bag-based deployment. I have used it successfully on an N altitude attempt rocket: it worked on our K test flight exactly as it was supposed to, and it somehow worked again after a separation event just before burnout on the N, despite losing the drogue/pilot chute. (It definitely only opened the main parachute after the altimeters fired the ARRD; we think the pin might have pushed the bag out into the airflow where it opened naturally.)

It's detailed here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-bag-advice-consultation-for-Bare-Necessities

This design kept the main chute's deployment bag inside the nosecone shoulder until the ARRD released the drogue, preventing buffeting during the (planned) Mach+ descent from 100,000 feet from prematurely opening the deployment bag.

However, my goal this time was to avoid dealing with tethers and devices like the ARRD, because they are kinda annoying to set up and don't jive with the way Area Rule (the rocket in question in this thread) is coming together in my head. At the same time, I am with you on disliking two-break dual deployment, especially with larger parachutes, because of the lack of control over the sequence.

I do have some Archetype Cable Cutters handy, so if they can be worked into a solution I would like that. I haven't had good success with them "burrito" style on larger chutes, though, which is why I want to do this properly with a deployment bag.

This design kept the main chute's deployment bag inside the nosecone shoulder until the ARRD released the drogue, preventing buffeting during the (planned) Mach+ descent from 100,000 feet from prematurely opening the deployment bag.

However, my goal this time was to avoid dealing with tethers and devices like the ARRD, because they are kinda annoying to set up and don't jive with the way Area Rule (the rocket in question in this thread) is coming together in my head.

If we're still talking ultra-altitude and high speed descents, why couldn't you rig the bag the same and retain it in the shoulder with a '3 ring release'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-ring_release_system

(you may already be familiar with it)

... but not as a bridle release - rather as a 'belt buckle' across the open (aft, I assume) end of the nose cone shoulder. Don't know your diameters, but something like some 1" tubular (or, maybe, 2") just as a 'belt' diametrically across that open end (maybe some tweaking here and there to make sure the bag couldn't slip past the 'belt' (either side)). But, the 3RR would multiply your restraining force (i.e. keeping the bag in place), while still relying on a smallish strip (like the zip tie) that the Archetype cutter could easily release when the time came to do so -- reliably.

You could even fabricate a flat plate out of some G-10 (say, 1/2" smaller in diameter than the ID of the nose cone shoulder - to assure it clears cleanly when released) that is riveted to the 'belt' - to make sure everything stays in place until release - and this wouldn't interfere with the 3RR - being on the opposite (interior) side (of the 'belt') from the release hardware.

Just thinking out loud.

CarVac said:
I do have some Archetype Cable Cutters handy, so if they can be worked into a solution I would like that. I haven't had good success with them "burrito" style on larger chutes, though, which is why I want to do this properly with a deployment bag.

As I noted, my reefing cutter had some amazing similarities to the Archetype unit (not surprising - as both mimic rather closely the professional models) and I never had any failures to fire nor separate the line thru it. Burrito's, however, just strike me as a little too sloppy -- too much chance for that 'diaper' to flap around the wrong way and foul something (which, as I've noted, I've never used). Again, another reason why the bag deployment is just more robust. People joke about 'Murphy' - but I have an expansion to that (at least as concerns recovery): "Murphy was an optimist." <g>

-- john.

I am not doing high speed and high altitude with a tiny recovery volume this time. I am making a 16 pound 5.5 inch rocket with 24 inches or so of free space for any recovery configuration that I deem suitable. My emphasis is on simplicity, reliability, and ease of setup.

I have looked at the 3 ring release, but never seriously considered it. Maybe I will this time. I will put my spare cycles on the task.

For reference, this was my plan before starting this thread.

attachment.php

The entire body tube from the nose cone to the first transition is one piece and removable. Originally I planned to glue the inner tubes in the body tube, but accessing their back sides to install charges would be difficult because they would be in the center of the four foot section. I may still have one for the apogee charge, if I can come up with a suitable way to load it.

Two chutes out the same hole is introducing the risk of your pilot tangling with your drogue, or the pilot getting shot up into the drogue.

I would not recommend it, for exactly that reason.

It's one of those things that will work fine....until it doesn't. And when it doesn't, it creates an avoidable safety issue.

If you don't like the Tether/Tender Descender approach, use a cable cutter to release things. Or use shear pins large enough to support the deployment under drogue, then when the main fires, that charge pushes the entire bulkhead the drogue is attached to up and out, along with the pilot chute.

-Kevin

I found a stand-alone 3 ring release system for 90 dollars, but it is much bigger than I want, with 3000 pound capacity. It might be of interest to those doing biiiiig projects...

https://www.stumpfballoons.com/quick.htm

I could possibly integrate a simpler, perhaps two ringed design into a deployment bag, with a modification that would let it work with a cable cutter pair and zip ties.

I found a stand-alone 3 ring release system for 90 dollars, but it is much bigger than I want, with 3000 pound capacity. It might be of interest to those doing biiiiig projects...

https://www.stumpfballoons.com/quick.htm

I could possibly integrate a simpler, perhaps two ringed design into a deployment bag, with a modification that would let it work with a cable cutter pair and zip ties.

I didn't mean to drop this discussion - got going over on the 'other' discussion...

... but $90 for a 3RR seems excessive (I guess, however, since human life may be involved, there may be more sophisticated certification procedures involved). Never been in the market, so can't very well speak authoritatively on it though.

It shouldn't be too hard to duplicate - even if you have to sew it manually (and, yes, I've been thinking of trying to fabricate one or two).

-- john.

I didn't mean to drop this discussion - got going over on the 'other' discussion...

... but $90 for a 3RR seems excessive (I guess, however, since human life may be involved, there may be more sophisticated certification procedures involved). Never been in the market, so can't very well speak authoritatively on it though.

It shouldn't be too hard to duplicate - even if you have to sew it manually (and, yes, I've been thinking of trying to fabricate one or two).

-- john.

It does seem excessive, but I have been unable to find strong looking (and testing) rings of suitable size.

Do you know any good sources? The small one is the hardest to find.

The other possibility is something rigid made from steel rods and aluminum plate which could be better attached onto a bulkhead. That could even have the cable cutter integrated. I don't have a machine shop anymore, alas... At least a mill would be enough.

Edit: I can probably do it with just one "stage" in a rigid configuration, using a 3-inch dowel pin and a block that restrains its end. The question is can I make it with just a drill press and a lathe...

Last edited:
I've not really been following along to closely...

Why are the rings needed? seems like a cord with loops the right length and right location would work too?

I can't really tell..something like this https://www.balloonlife.com/publications/balloon_life/9606/quickrel.htm made out of 1/8 Kevlar?

If you really need small welded rings look up welded fishing rings...those are very small.

Tony

I've not really been following along to closely...

Why are the rings needed? seems like a cord with loops the right length and right location would work too?

I can't really tell..something like this https://www.balloonlife.com/publications/balloon_life/9606/quickrel.htm made out of 1/8 Kevlar?

If you really need small welded rings look up welded fishing rings...those are very small.

Tony

The rings act as compound levers. The top two, at least, have to be rigid because a floppy lever is of no use.

The rings act as compound levers. The top two, at least, have to be rigid because a floppy lever is of no use.

Remember, also, that human life 'hangs' in the balance here - and those rigid rings will 'clear' almost instantly and I can't help but see any kind of fabric loop as a prime candidate to foul (or hang up). Study the animation.

--john.

Two chutes out the same hole is introducing the risk of your pilot tangling with your drogue, or the pilot getting shot up into the drogue.

I would not recommend it, for exactly that reason.

It's one of those things that will work fine....until it doesn't. And when it doesn't, it creates an avoidable safety issue.

If you don't like the Tether/Tender Descender approach, use a cable cutter to release things. Or use shear pins large enough to support the deployment under drogue, then when the main fires, that charge pushes the entire bulkhead the drogue is attached to up and out, along with the pilot chute.

-Kevin

That seems like a good solution. seal the top of the tube with...something. Could be a thin piece of ply or a balsa top glued on. Blast it off with the ejection charge and let it all unfurl. Only issue I could see would be reusability of the sealing layer.

Back