GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Join the NRA and attend a local Friends of the NRA event. You'll meet lots of people in your area who can point you to well run ranges, training, and help you learn the local laws. California law regarding semi-automatic firearms is more restrictive than any other state.

THIS

Also, as you become more exposed to firearm culture, beware of people that have polarized opinions on brands, gun types, etc. Get your information from someone that has has direct experience with the firearms you are considering. Also, go RENT as much as you can! If a particular gun interests you, go rent it and get some trigger time on it before you commit to purchase it. :)

[video=youtube;YZ5d2lnTkdo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5d2lnTkdo[/video]

The gun in post 928 has a 5.5 inch (not 6 7/8) barrel, which is what I would recommend. I fully agree that the Ruger Mark II, and the newer Mark III, are outstanding guns.

You should get a Glock 17 or something a bit smaller.

Glocks are extremely reliable, even if it's not the most accurate pistol out there. This is important if your life is on the line. If you do get a glock 17 you will have to get the special Cali legal version that comes with a neutered 10 round magazine...

Hey y'all.
I am thinking about a semi-auto pistol. I have NO background to prevent such an item.
A simple law abiding dude.
And NO other reason than A: Learning to handle safely such an item, and B: for the challenge of sport target shooting. Nothing else.
I am in Redondo Beach CA. Where can I start? Whom should I contact?
Give me a PM.
Thanks

The Ruger as mentioned is a good starter, I have nothing against it.

Also you might want to look at a .22LR revolver, 4-6" barrel, simple straight forward.
Most .22 LR pistols are great learning guns as they have low recoil and the ammo is
relatively inexpensive. And there are some outstanding target pistols in .22LR.

Also look for a local gun shop that also has their own range, most will let you shoot used
guns for a small fee and the price of ammo. That way you can try a few different guns
before buying.

Since you are in CA, concealed carry will be difficult for you to get so CC pistols would be
a distant option for you.

I recommend taking the NRA Basic Pistol class. You can find local instructors to you on
the NRA website. Or PM me and I can help.

I am an NRA Instructor and IL - Concealed Carry Instructor.

You should get a Glock 17 or something a bit smaller.

Glocks are extremely reliable, even if it's not the most accurate pistol out there. This is important if your life is on the line. If you do get a glock 17 you will have to get the special Cali legal version that comes with a neutered 10 round magazine...

I own a number of handguns, if you are looking at Glocks I would also recommend
you take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P line, they are a better value in my
opinion. I own a Glock 19 and a M&P, I will likely get another M&P.

Also I would recommend getting something in a common chambering. In my classes
I recommend the following:

9mm Luger
.40 Smith and Wesson
.45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol)
.357 Magnum (you can use .38 Special in them also)

also .22LR but not for personal protection, they lack power.

There are a lot of other great cartridges out there but you cannot always find them.
And with politics the way they are these days, you want to be able to get ammo when
you need it.

Yea I generally go with the common calibers like 9mm. The problem is these days I'm having trouble finding any inexpensive defense ammo for 9mm, at least at Walmart they got them for 40 S/W, 45ACP, and even 38 special but not 9mm.

Also I think 357 magnum and 38 special may be interchanged if it's a revolver since both cartridges are rimmed. I don't know if 38 special will function properly in a semi auto 357 mag...

Yea I generally go with the common calibers like 9mm. The problem is these days I'm having trouble finding any inexpensive defense ammo for 9mm, at least at Walmart they got them for 40 S/W, 45ACP, and even 38 special but not 9mm.

Also I think 357 magnum and 38 special may be interchanged if it's a revolver since both cartridges are rimmed. I don't know if 38 special will function properly in a semi auto 357 mag...

.357 Magnum is generally for revolvers, semi's in .357 Magnum are very rare beasts. There
is a common confusion between that cartridge and the .357 AutoMag, which is a rimless
bottlenecked pistol cartridge.

There are few 357mag semi-autos and last I checked all of them are relatively expensive ( a Gun Broker search reveals only two brands available Coonan and Desert Eagle), as long as the 38 Special can provide enough gas for the action on the DE it should be able to function with the .38 Special (no information on the Magnum Research website). The Coonan .357magnum is sold with a .38 Special recoil spring so it can shoot .38 with the change out of the recoil springs.

I also recommend that someones first pistol be a .22 such as the Ruger Mk II/III, Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos, Walther Arms P22 (Target model if still available), and maybe an Smith &Wesson M&P .22 (haven't shot the M&P .22 yet).

As for larger calibers a 9mm, .40 SW, .45ACP, are my preferred calibers, with .40 and .45 being my favorites. My wife carries a Springfield XD .40 Compact, and I carry a Springfield XDM 4.5 .45 ACP. Conversion barrels are also available for many mainstream semi-autos to .22 for practice and even small game hunting. I have in the past also carried H&K USP's with conversion barrels for .357 Sig (.40 S&W necked down to .357/9mm) which gives similar ballistics to a 357Mag up to about a 100 yards, and a .400 Cor-Bon (.45 ACP necked down to .40 caliber) which iirc gives ballistics a bit over what a 10mm Auto does.

As for revolvers, I reserve them for my hunting and pleasure shooting, they are accurate, reliable (many name brand semi-auto pistols are also very reliable) and with some of them you can shoot other similar ammo's interchangeably. One thing to know about using .38's in a .357 chamber is that fouling can stop a .357 from being loaded/chambered due to the shorter case allowing more fouling ( and even some lead build-up in some case) in the chamber, its better to have a cylinder chambered for .38special for your pistol that is a .357 Magnum, its generally fairly easy to swap cylinders.

Last edited:
I just started working at Leupold and Stevens and had never owned a gun in my life. Needless to say, after being here for a few months and having the "hobbies4lyfe" thing ingrained in my DNA somewhere, it didn't take long before I had a 22.

I ended up getting the CZ 455 American. Couldn't be happier. I felt like not getting the cheapest gun I could find (like I usually do with new hobbies just try it out) since it felt like more of a long term investment, and because I knew I would be putting a decent optic on it.

I don't know if I will ever get a bigger gun, and I don't know if I will ever join the NRA as I don't agree with a lot of their politics (before this point in my life, I considered myself fairly anti-gun, and definitely anti-gun lobby). All of that being said, I understand the appeal of target shooting now at least, and the appeal of learning all of the intricacies and options and things that go along with firearms construction and customization.

Not really sure who this post was aimed at (no pun intended), just wanted to chime in since I saw this thread for the first time.

I just started working at Leupold and Stevens and had never owned a gun in my life. Needless to say, after being here for a few months and having the "hobbies4lyfe" thing ingrained in my DNA somewhere, it didn't take long before I had a 22.

I ended up getting the CZ 455 American. Couldn't be happier. I felt like not getting the cheapest gun I could find (like I usually do with new hobbies just try it out) since it felt like more of a long term investment, and because I knew I would be putting a decent optic on it.

I don't know if I will ever get a bigger gun, and I don't know if I will ever join the NRA as I don't agree with a lot of their politics (before this point in my life, I considered myself fairly anti-gun, and definitely anti-gun lobby). All of that being said, I understand the appeal of target shooting now at least, and the appeal of learning all of the intricacies and options and things that go along with firearms construction and customization.

Not really sure who this post was aimed at (no pun intended), just wanted to chime in since I saw this thread for the first time.

Its just a general discussion of guns and rockets, kind of a show and tell and ask questions thread. Love the CZ .22 rifles someday I may actually add one to my collection, I have shot several of them and handled many of them at the gun store and gun shows I have worked at, very nice little guns.

All firearms are a joy to shoot, and I find that target practice is a personal competition/effort to get better at something without the politics and attitudes that tend to go with competing against others its just plain relaxing. However some of the best friends I have had over the years I met at the shooting range and or pistol and rifle competition, and like rocketry many of them are willing to help a stranger at a meet.

I have two CZ rifles, a .221 Fireball and a .270. They are great rifles to own and a pleasure to shoot.

To gdjsky01,

You'll find that everyone has an opinion on the best caliber, the best brand, the best style, the best barrel length, the best round, and so on. But all that matters is what works best for you. As has been suggested go to a range that allows you to rent a variety of handguns and try out several in your budget and find what fits you best.

Glocks are a great example. Most folks either love them or hate them. All that matters is how you feel about them.

For value 9mm is hard to beat, a case of 1000 9mm new factory ammo in brass is about $.20 a round, while .40 is about $.25, and .45ACP is $.30. Just lately has .22LR ammo started coming down in price from nearly what 9mm cost.

I would concentrate on finding something that fits your hand and has ergonomics that you like. In my experience that has been at least as important as all other factors combined. If the gun does not fit you well and you can not shoot it well, accuracy, reliability, and cost won't make up for it.

Tony

Oh my!!!! That was a loaded topic!
LOL get the pun!

As usual you all are an amazing source of expertise.

Anyone in the SoCal area (I am in the South Bay) that I can meet up and maybe try or learn from?
Is there not somewhere in the LAX area?

Look I am not looking for more than what it appears. Even though now days it seems you need more than the
2nd amendment to justify owning a gun. I am just interested is the challenge and sport of doing something well.

So I am very open to ideas. PM me (don't get freaked if I take some time to get back to you right away).
I am not about anything other than using my right to own a high quality weapon for nothing more than simple practice an the pride and challenge of target practice.

BTW: I have no other reason for not really wanting a revolver other than I don't. Again we have a right to own... I guess (but that is for a DIFFERENT thread)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh and thank you for all the thoughtful relies. I have much to learn.

That's what we're here for :) As long as folks are making suggestions then I'll add mine ;) The suggested .22 rimfire's are all nice. Maybe someone local can help you with this. Even a good pawnshop revolver in .22 would be a good start. Now, that being said, if shooting range and becoming a good target shooter is a goal with a high quality gun is what you have in mind I'd say look at a Thompson Contender, a single shot pistol. What they have going for them is ALL the calibers suggested can be had just by changing the barrel. From the .221 Jet to .45-70 and .444 Marlin and even rounds like .30-06 can be fired from the same basic frame just by changing the barrel. And at one shot at a time it is a gun range special or hunting for that matter. Iron sights or scoped, it's your choice. :)

TC.jpg

Last edited:
That's what we're here for :) As long as folks are making suggestions then I'll add mine ;) The suggested .22 rimfire's are all nice. Maybe someone local can help you with this. Even a good pawnshop revolver in .22 would be a good start. Now, that being said, if shooting range and becoming a good target shooter is a goal with a high quality gun is what you have in mind I'd say look at a Thompson Contender, a single shot pistol. What they have going for them is ALL the calibers suggested can be had just by changing the barrel. From the .221 Jet to .45-70 and .444 Marlin and even rounds like .30-06 can be fired from the same basic frame just by changing the barrel. And at one shot at a time it is a gun range special or hunting for that matter. Iron sights or scoped, it's your choice. :)

I love my Encore and Contender both. My Encore is set up with a 26" 30-06 and 22-250 Rem, and a 17" 7mm08 Win. The Contender I have a 14" 30 Herrett, a 16" 30 Herrett, 14" .22 Hornet, 10" .22 Mag, .357 Mag, .22 LR, .44 Mag, 21" .22 Hornet. My favorite oddball custom barrel for the Contender is a 21" 22 Savage Hi-Power, it uses .228 bullets and ammo is either a hand load or Seller & Beliot makes 5.6x52R which is the same round.

Contenders. Sweet!!! Got two of 'em, and 7 barrels. One day I was at the range chronographing some 30-30 loads, when a dad and his 10 year old son showed up with a Marlin 22 bolt. That kid could barely reach the bench to shoot. So we sat him on some phone books, and got him going. Kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Just for fun, I switched to my scoped 22 match barrel, and put a few in his X ring. Next cease fire the kid was thrilled. Dad complained that they were almost out of ammo and were going to go, so I handed him a few hundred left over Remington round noses my rifles don't like, and told him to keep Junior shooting.

It was a great day with the Contender. :)

Last edited:
GUNS & ROCKETS - back to to top of the watering hole!

Got a chance earlier this month to shoot my Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor out to 500 yards. Not a hard shot for this round, but was still nice to land a couple right near the bull at 500.

6.5 Creedmoor - 500 Yards June 2016.jpg View of 500 yard targets.JPG DSCN0319_1600x1200.jpg DSCN0317_1600x1200.jpg DSCN0315_1600x1200.jpg

GUNS & ROCKETS - back to to top of the watering hole!

Got a chance earlier this month to shoot my Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor out to 500 yards. Not a hard shot for this round, but was still nice to land a couple right near the bull at 500.

Nice shoot'n, and nice set up.

Qualified for my "License To Carry" permit this month. I qualified Expert on the combat pistol course back in the dark ages when you had to use your service revolver (mostly DA) and from kneeling, prone on off/weak hand. Although I scored Expert, I did not shoot a perfect score, and was 3rd in my class:mad:
Well the "LTC" class is so much easier, that my goal was to shoot a perfect score. Low and behold, 2 US Marines (using 1911s) on my left shot a perfect score of 250:y:.A gentleman on my right shot a 249 using a 357 with a 6" barrel.:eyepop:
Me, with my Taurus PT101 (.40 S&W) shot a 244. The first 40 rounds I shot at 3 & 7 yards, I was able to keep in the 5 point zone. But when we got out to 15 yards I got 5 rounds in the 5 point zone, 4 in the 4 point zone, and one round in the 3 point zone. :mad:
I am going to go to the range when they lower the blast furnace here in Texas and go for a perfect score:cool:

You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Paying it forward...

Contenders. Sweet!!! Got two of 'em, and 7 barrels. One day I was at the range chronographing some 30-30 loads, when a dad and his 10 year old son showed up with a Marlin 22 bolt. That kid could barely reach the bench to shoot. So we sat him on some phone books, and got him going. Kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Just for fun, I switched to my scoped 22 match barrel, and put a few in his X ring. Next cease fire the kid was thrilled. Dad complained that they were almost out of ammo and were going to go, so I handed him a few hundred left over Remington round noses my rifles don't like, and told him to keep Junior shooting.

It was a great day with the Contender. :)

Dave is correct....
Single shot is a great place to start. When you only have one shot you tend to take your time and make it count. Multiple shots make it too easy to keep squeezing and hope for the best. Still find myself doing that on occasion.

I have two CZ rifles, a .221 Fireball and a .270. They are great rifles to own and a pleasure to shoot.

I see you have a rifle in .221 Fireball. Believe that was the original chambering for the XP-100, can't search at work, the server blocks almost everything firearm related. Was hoping to find a fellow XP-100 lover.
I've got one in 7mm BR, love it but it is a bugger to carry any distance without a holster or strap. Well, it doesn't help that the original owner filled the stock with epoxy and lead shot.

I see you have a rifle in .221 Fireball. Believe that was the original chambering for the XP-100, can't search at work, the server blocks almost everything firearm related. Was hoping to find a fellow XP-100 lover.
I've got one in 7mm BR, love it but it is a bugger to carry any distance without a holster or strap. Well, it doesn't help that the original owner filled the stock with epoxy and lead shot.

.221 Fireball was indeed the first chambering for the production XP100 pistols.

A few months back I stumbled across an original XP100 at one of the local tacticool gun shops. It was in pretty nice condition and I pondered spending my one pistol every 30 days legal restriction on it.

When I went back two days later, it was gone.

Add that to my list of missed opportunities...a Marlin lever action in .44 Magnum, a Colt Python in .357 Magnum, and a Manhurin PPK in 9mm Kurz (.380).

Last edited:
Oh Man, I loved my 455 american. I won a ton of silhouette and smallbore matches with that rifle, beating many kimbers in the process....I used wolf match extra and it would do 3/8" at 50 yards and sub 3/4" at 100 easily for 10 shots, that's prone with sling not off the bench. Only downside was the 3# stock trigger but for my matches it had to be 2.5 pounds or higher anyway, so the kimbers were really not playing fair since I don't think they could be adjusted that high, but in the end it didn't matter. Superb rifle.

Frank

Ok, gun dudes... time for me to play...
If I were to save up for a first pistol, where should I start. Something economical but good value. Ideas?

You might want to read the thread as this has been discussed already.

Ok, gun dudes... time for me to play...
If I were to save up for a first pistol, where should I start. Something economical but good value. Ideas?

I'd probably start with a 9mm. Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful. There's so many out there, glock 17 or 19, beretta Fs92, s&w m&p 9, Springfield XD that's just to name a few. I'd buy quality. Check out pistol ranges. They usually rent guns to try out. A lot of it is feel & what you are comfortable with.

Back